+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse and I want to apply together. I am on H1 - Some Questions

sarnath

Mar 28, 2010
She has recently been offered a job in Vancouver. I want to accompany her the first time and thereafter once every two months.

If she enters my name as spouse in the IMM5484 (work-visa application form), will it give me the flexibility to enter and leave Canada by myself later - assuming our multiple entry visa is approved?

I am on H1 in the USA. If we are applying together and she is the principal applicant, Do I need to furnish my original H1 visa document?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sarnath said:
She has recently been offered a job in Vancouver. I want to accompany her the first time and thereafter once every two months.

If she enters my name as spouse in the IMM5484 (work-visa application form), will it give me the flexibility to enter and leave Canada by myself later - assuming our multiple entry visa is approved?

I am on H1 in the USA. If we are applying together and she is the principal applicant, Do I need to furnish my original H1 visa document?
Is your wife being offered a highly skilled job?

sarnath

Mar 28, 2010
job_seeker said:
Is your wife being offered a highly skilled job?
Does that matter? She has been offered a post-doctoral research Fellow's position at the Dept. of Medicine, UBC, Vancouver.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sarnath said:
Does that matter? She has been offered a post-doctoral research Fellow's position at the Dept. of Medicine, UBC, Vancouver.
Yes, because if the job being offered to her is skilled, then you can also come to Canada and work (not that you may want to) on an OWP. When you submit you application CIC will want to see your status in the US.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/permit_work-travail_permis.aspx?lang=eng#REQUIR

sarnath

Mar 28, 2010
job_seeker said:
Yes, because if the job being offered to her is skilled, then you can also come to Canada and work (not that you may want to) on an OWP. When you submit you application CIC will want to see your status in the US.

Ok. That makes sense. On the same note, if we apply together on the same IMM5484, with her as the principal applicant, does it still give me the flexibility to enter and leave Canada on my own (as long as she is working there and we get a multiple entry visa?)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sarnath said:
Ok. That makes sense. On the same note, if we apply together on the same IMM5484, with her as the principal applicant, does it still give me the flexibility to enter and leave Canada on my own (as long as she is working there and we get a multiple entry visa?)
If you can show proof of ties with the US then it is possible that if and when she gets her work permit/visa, you may also be granted a visitor visa. Attach a copy of your certificate of employment in the US.

sarnath

Mar 28, 2010
job_seeker said:
If you can show proof of ties with the US then it is possible that if and when she gets her work permit/visa, you may also be granted a visitor visa. Attach a copy of your certificate of employment in the US.
Thanks for the advice. Hope you don't mind my picking your brains again :)

IMM 1295B (Work Permit):

After entering my details under 'spouse' should I check "Yes" under "will accompany you to Canada?". I don't intend to stay there for the entire duration of my wife's tenure since I have my job in the USA. I just want to have the flexibility of visiting her.

IMM 5257 (temporary Resident):

Same question as above.

I thought of checking 'No' in both forms, but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sarnath said:
Thanks for the advice. Hope you don't mind my picking your brains again :)

IMM 1295B (Work Permit):

After entering my details under 'spouse' should I check "Yes" under "will accompany you to Canada?". I don't intend to stay there for the entire duration of my wife's tenure since I have my job in the USA. I just want to have the flexibility of visiting her.

IMM 5257 (temporary Resident):

Same question as above.

I thought of checking 'No' in both forms, but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do.
Better tick yes even if you do not want to come with her right now. Gives you the "flexibility" (your terms :)) to come visit her. All the best.