+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse and dependent child sponsorship

JOLTBOLT

Jul 16, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi , got my PR 3 years ago, but returned back to India, now I am going back to Canada. In the meantime I got married and has a child. I have the below questions if anyone can help.

1, Does anyone have the link to where the document requirement is shared.
2, Do I need to have a job in canada to apply to be a sponsor or showing sufficient money in the bank is acceptable, if yes then how much?
3, What is the general timilines from start to finish if all the documentation is correct.

Thanking you in advance. Regards.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey,

you need to sponsor your family (wife + child) as an outland application. I suggest you read the first thread called "spousal sponsorhsip" to give you an idea of the requirements, and then download the sponsorship package from CIC website. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

You need to be back in Canada before you can send your application, as you are a PR. You don't need a job but you need to demonstrate that you will be able to provide for your family in some ways when they come. So a job is a good way to prove that. However it's not the only one. If your family is willing to support you in Canada (provided that you have family in Canada for example), then you can get a letter from them telling that. There is no minimum threshold for spouse sponsorship, but you need to convince CIC that you will not go on welfare.

How long - that's difficult to say. For now: first stage is 1 month, and second stage, through New Delhi, is 9 months. However, quite q few applications get done faster than that. It depends how long you've been married etc. In your case, if you've been married for 1 year, lived together in India, had a traditional Indian wedding with both families, and have a child together, it won't be difficult for CIC to see that you are a genuine couple - so as long as your application is complete, and well prepared, you might be done faster than that.

Plan for 10 months, and it might happen faster than that.
Good luck,
Sweden