+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Work Permit Issues

Swati26122011

Sep 13, 2012
Hi..., Smiley

My husband has an open work permit until 2017. I understand that I can go to Canada on tourist visa and apply for spousal open work permit from there. right now i am in India.

I have following issues:
1. What is the fees for this permit?
2. How long would it take for the permit to arrive approximately?
3. What is the actual procedure? I mean how do I convert my visitor viza to open work permit visa for a spouse while staying in canada?

Please help, really in need of help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swati26122011 said:
Hi..., Smiley

My husband has an open work permit until 2017. I understand that I can go to Canada on tourist visa and apply for spousal open work permit from there. right now i am in India.

I have following issues:
1. What is the fees for this permit?
2. How long would it take for the permit to arrive approximately?
3. What is the actual procedure? I mean how do I convert my visitor viza to open work permit visa for a spouse while staying in canada?

Please help, really in need of help.
1. The fee for a work permit is $150
2. If you are eligible to apply online, it's 13 days right now, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMation/times/temp.asp but if you apply per mail, it migth be 50-60 days.
3. You can apply online if you are eligible, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/apply_online.asp?d=3&q=n
In order to prove that you are eligible for an open spousal work permit, you need to prove that you are married to your spouse (marriage certificate), that your spouse has a work permit (copy of work permit) and that your spouses job is skilled (letter from employer).

Swati26122011

Sep 13, 2012
Thank you so much Leon... :D

One more thing:-

Regarding Medical Exam which I would need since I will stay for more than 6 months.
Will the reports count if I have taken the exam in India, New Delhi (Medical Office) of Canada or will I have to take the medical exam in Canada only, no matter what before submitting the application? There is a high cost issue in the matter. Please help.

Mahjbeen

Jun 9, 2014
Hi..
New to this forum, and need some assistance..

I have just recently married an international student who is yet to complete his degree in Vancouver. I would now want to apply for a visa to be with him as long as he is in Canada (I am currently in my home country, Kenya, while he flew back).

1. What visa applications should I be looking at?
2. Do I need to apply for TRV? or spouse visa? or for an open work permit alongside the spouse visa?
3. What timelines are we looking at for visa processing
4. Anything else I should know before application

My background:
I recently qualified as an Actuary and applied for a PR (Federal Skilled Worker) while I was single. I have no received any response regarding this application.
Will my PR application be affected by any of the above applications?