+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Work Permit Issues

Swati26122011

Sep 13, 2012
Hi..., Smiley

My husband has an open work permit until 2017. I understand that I can go to Canada on tourist visa and apply for spousal open work permit from there. right now i am in India.

I have following issues:
1. What is the fees for this permit?
2. How long would it take for the permit to arrive approximately?
3. What is the actual procedure? I mean how do I convert my visitor viza to open work permit visa for a spouse while staying in canada?

Please help, really in need of help.

FaithLoveStrength

Sep 2, 2014
Hi Swati:

You mar refer to the website for a complete details regarding your inquiry: Look for cic.gc.ca website using google and look under the visitor's visa and temporary work permit fields.

Also, I believe you can not convert a tourist visa to a work permit. However, you may apply for both.

Good luck and I hope I was able to help you.

Mosal

May 27, 2014
FaithLoveStrength said:
Hi Swati:

You mar refer to the website for a complete details regarding your inquiry: Look for cic.gc.ca website using google and look under the visitor's visa and temporary work permit fields.

Also, I believe you can not convert a tourist visa to a work permit. However, you may apply for both.

Good luck and I hope I was able to help you.
You can convert Toursit visa to work permit in certain cases. Check CIC website for more details.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
If you have been admitted to Canada for a period of year or longer (visitor trv only allows entry for six months in a single stay), you can submit application for work permit in side Canada. For a spousal trv of a work permit holder, no such 6 month restriction exists - and hence you can apply and get work permit from inside Canada.

It is not a conversion as per say, it is a new application. However, the trv is still useful when you travel outside of Canada.