+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal visa - Re-issuing passport - International trip

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Hi all,

I am Canadian PR about to get married in December. Me and my wife both have Indian passports but my wife is just an Indian citizen. I am hoping to apply for her spousal visa soon after our marriage, so here are a few questions that I'd really appreciate your reply on:

1. Her current passport is under her father's name and is just a few months old. Is it necessary to get it changed under my name after marriage? What are the procedures? Just to let you know, we will register our marriage in court after about a week.

2. We are planning for an international trip soon after our marriage and we will be applying a tourist visa. So if the above said thing is mandatory, will that tourist visa be valid on her new passport?
I am asking this question because I have heard somewhere that the chances of a spousal visa are higher and processing is much faster if the spouse has been on an international trip before applying for Canada.

Apologies for the long post. I would really appreciate your advise.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. No. You don't need to change her passport, but you can if you want to. The process is just like getting a new passport, check the Indian passport website. If she plans to take your surname, then get it done as it will be easier to deal with paperwork later. If she wants to keep her name, that's fine too.

2. This will depend on the rules of the country you're visiting. Some countries (the US, for example) consider the visa valid, you just have to travel with both passports. Some countries don't. You'd have to check with the consulate of the country.

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Thank you @21Goose for reply. We are planning to go to Dubai. Basically, what I want to know is if the visa is on her old passport and I am later applying for her sponsorship with new passsport, would it be valid? As far as I know, the applications are done electronically, is it ok to scan that visa along with her new passport?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you @21Goose for reply. We are planning to go to Dubai. Basically, what I want to know is if the visa is on her old passport and I am later applying for her sponsorship with new passsport, would it be valid? As far as I know, the applications are done electronically, is it ok to scan that visa along with her new passport?
Yes, that's fine. You'll have to scan both passports for travel history.