+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

Stutiii

Apr 25, 2023
Hi everyone, my PR application is in progress and I will be undergoing background check. Can i sponsor my partner while my application is being processed or do I have to wait until I receive my COPR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, my PR application is in progress and I will be undergoing background check. Can i sponsor my partner while my application is being processed or do I have to wait until I receive my COPR?
You need to wait until you are a PR before you can submit the application to sponsor your spouse. Make sure your partner is listed in your current application.

Stutiii

Apr 25, 2023
Thank you. so just to clarify, after i receive my copr, i can start his application process? also will he be eligible to apply for a work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you. so just to clarify, after i receive my copr, i can start his application process? also will he be eligible to apply for a work permit?
It's not clear if you are in Canada or outside of Canada.

You need to be a PR on order to submit the application to sponsor your spouse. You need to wait until you have AOR before you can submit the open work permit application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Then you can either include your spouse in your ongoing application as accompany9ing - will save you time and having to repeat medicals etc - or sponsor once you are a PR. Up to you.

(Note I've no idea about whether eg including in your ongoing as accompanying will affect your points and eligibility etc. Don't know about that stuff.)

Stutiii

Apr 25, 2023
Then you can either include your spouse in your ongoing application as accompany9ing - will save you time and having to repeat medicals etc - or sponsor once you are a PR. Up to you.

(Note I've no idea about whether eg including in your ongoing as accompanying will affect your points and eligibility etc. Don't know about that stuff.)
Thanks. So I include them now will it delay the overall processing time for both of us? also would he be eligible to apply for spouse open work permit, he is already on a work permit right now.

sonalikaila

Apr 19, 2017
Hi there,

I am a canadian citizen and my husband is in India. He had a criminal case against him but thankfully the quashing is done in high court. I want to apply him first on tourist visa and then PR, do we need to show in the paperwork that the quashing was done or need not show?

Thanks,

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks. So I include them now will it delay the overall processing time for both of us? also would he be eligible to apply for spouse open work permit, he is already on a work permit right now.
I do not know where you are in the process of your own PR - but if your spouse has already done the medicals and (I think) they do the security other clearances just in case too, then it should not add much time. (It might if yours is almost done, I do not know - those who are in same PR app process as you might know);.

I do not believe he would be eligible for a work permit by being added to your application. If under a separate spousal sponsorship, yes, should be eligible - but that might take 3-6 months.

Reactions: Naturgrl