+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

leomessi1

Star Member
Apr 12, 2020
I am applying for my spouse (who lives outside Canada). If we are not submitting use of representative form (IMM5476), can I (sponsor) still submit all the documents from here within Canada on her behalf? WIll that create a problem if my name and address is there in the mail when i send the documents?

What's the upside and downside of using the representative form?
If we use this and I (sponsor) become the representative, can we still link the application online?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am applying for my spouse (who lives outside Canada). If we are not submitting use of representative form (IMM5476), can I (sponsor) still submit all the documents from here within Canada on her behalf? WIll that create a problem if my name and address is there in the mail when i send the documents?

What's the upside and downside of using the representative form?
If we use this and I (sponsor) become the representative, can we still link the application online?
You can use your mailing address in Canada in the relevant parts of the forms for correspondence. Obviously you should indicate her factual residential address as it is where appropriate.

Yes, you can submit all of these from within Canada.

We used the representative form with sponsor as the representative. The advantage is that afterwards, there is no question that the sponsor can inquire about all parts of the applicant's file and status. If you do not, the sponsor will need approval from applicant later to do so - which may mean the representative form anyway. So I'd recommend it but it's not required, it's up to you.

leomessi1

Star Member
Apr 12, 2020
You can use your mailing address in Canada in the relevant parts of the forms for correspondence. Obviously you should indicate her factual residential address as it is where appropriate.

Yes, you can submit all of these from within Canada.

We used the representative form with sponsor as the representative. The advantage is that afterwards, there is no question that the sponsor can inquire about all parts of the applicant's file and status. If you do not, the sponsor will need approval from applicant later to do so - which may mean the representative form anyway. So I'd recommend it but it's not required, it's up to you.
Were you able to link your file to gckey afterwards? I heard, if you use representative, you can not do so and only have to rely on email communications?

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
I highly encourage all sponsors to fill out the representative form where the sponsor is representative of their spouse. This way, you will be able to access all information on their file and call IRCC on their behalf. I think it complicates things if you are not a representative for your spouse in terms of access to information. Navigating immigration can be challenging for non native speakers as even for native speakers it can be confusing. My husband really relies on me to obtain the information and explain what is needed.

Reactions: armoured

leomessi1

Star Member
Apr 12, 2020
I highly encourage all sponsors to fill out the representative form where the sponsor is representative of their spouse. This way, you will be able to access all information on their file and call IRCC on their behalf. I think it complicates things if you are not a representative for your spouse in terms of access to information. Navigating immigration can be challenging for non native speakers as even for native speakers it can be confusing. My husband really relies on me to obtain the information and explain what is needed.

Were you able to link your application to GCKEY?

And did you and your husband both sign at the end here in section D:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5476e.pdf

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good suggestion. Just to note, applicant can add or change representative at any time during the process. Just submit the form through webform.

karanvir jassal

May 18, 2018
Hi there
I was wondering do i need to apply for my spouse pcc again for spousal sponsorship if we have already submitted the pcc while my pr application was in process??

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Hi there
I was wondering do i need to apply for my spouse pcc again for spousal sponsorship if we have already submitted the pcc while my pr application was in process??
If this is a new application for your spouse to sponsor him as a PR, then yes you need to submit a new PCC.