+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship

parj

Apr 8, 2011
Hello Everyone,

It's my first time here and I would like to seek advice from the senior members in this forum. I have been a permanent resident in canada for 8 months and I am in India to get married. My question is:

1. My spouse had an immigrant petition from the USA which he had cancelled almost a year ago. Does he need to state that in the Background declaration? I am a bit confused because it asks about visa denial and technically, my spouse wasn't denied a visa since he had voluntarily asked for the petition to be cancelled.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parj said:
Hello Everyone,

It's my first time here and I would like to seek advice from the senior members in this forum. I have been a permanent resident in canada for 8 months and I am in India to get married. My question is:

1. My spouse had an immigrant petition from the USA which he had cancelled almost a year ago. Does he need to state that in the Background declaration? I am a bit confused because it asks about visa denial and technically, my spouse wasn't denied a visa since he had voluntarily asked for the petition to be cancelled.
No, since he withdrew there was no decision made on the application. He does not need to metion it.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

parj said:
Hello Everyone,

Mention it in an attached paper. If he doesn't CIC will question it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC shares information with the US immigration to some degree. If they ask them, they might get to know that he applied and withdrew but that still doesn't mean he was denied so it is up to him if he discloses that or not.

Still, 4 options here. He discloses it, it can not hurt his application. Safe play. He doesn't disclose it and CIC doesn't find out, no worries. He doesn't disclose it and CIC does find out but they don't care, no worries. He doesn't disclose it and CIC does find out and a VO in a bad mood decides that this is almost misrepresentation which is actually not true because he wasn't denied but they do make mistakes sometimes, could cause their application to get delayed etc. I'd say go with safe play.

parj

Apr 8, 2011
I forgot to mention that in the last page of his passport, there is a stamping that says "US VISA Application Received" and in one of the pages in the passport, there was a remark made that he had applied for a police clearance certificate. So I believe we have to disclose it.
If we don't, then CIC might question him about the above mentioned stampings in his passport.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parj said:
I forgot to mention that in the last page of his passport, there is a stamping that says "US VISA Application Received" and in one of the pages in the passport, there was a remark made that he had applied for a police clearance certificate. So I believe we have to disclose it.
If we don't, then CIC might question him about the above mentioned stampings in his passport.
Ah! That's how they will know!!! PMM must have known that too.

Yes, CIC and US Immigration do share information but it normally has to do with criminality and identities to prevent fraud. Here's an article about this and the 5 participatory countries (Canada, US, UK, Australia & New Zealand).

http://www.visabureau.com/newzealand/news/04-04-2011/new-zealand-immigration-tightens-border-security.aspx

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rjessome said:
Ah! That's how they will know!!! PMM must have known that too.

Yes, CIC and US Immigration do share information but it normally has to do with criminality and identities to prevent fraud. Here's an article about this and the 5 participatory countries (Canada, US, UK, Australia & New Zealand).

http://www.visabureau.com/newzealand/news/04-04-2011/new-zealand-immigration-tightens-border-security.aspx
The CHCs also make phone calls and "share" information informally

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

The CHCs also make phone calls and "share" information informally
Of course! Duh. Full disclosure is always the best offence anyway.

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In most cases, US Embassy put a stamp "US VISA Application Received" in the passport of a visa applicant, when a visa application got refused. I don't understand, why and how this will be relevant to your Canadian PR application? Also, which authority wrote "applied for a police clearance certificate"?

parj said: