+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Sandy_varadha

Dec 31, 2019
Hi guys, I have certain doubt on spousal sponsorship: Is spousal sponsorship can be done only through paper based or Can I apply through online also. And I am also looking for open work permit, so both should be done through my husband CIC account as he holds the PR for Canada. Can anyone guide me through the process?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys, I have certain doubt on spousal sponsorship: Is spousal sponsorship can be done only through paper based or Can I apply through online also. And I am also looking for open work permit, so both should be done through my husband CIC account as he holds the PR for Canada. Can anyone guide me through the process?
Paper application only.

The open work permit is only possible if both you and your husband are physically in Canada together and he submits an inland spousal sponsorship application. If he does this and you are both in Canada, then you can include an open work permit with the inland application. Otherwise there is no open work permit available.

adeelakram5

Jan 9, 2016
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-1-2016
Doc's Request.
16-11-2016
Nomination.....
06-12-2016
AOR Received.
03-08-2016
Hi, I have a question in regards to spousal immigration.

Background:

I am a Canadian PR holder and recently came to Pakistan due to ongoing Pandemic of COVID-19. My employer allowed me to "Work From Home" stating that they could care less if I was in Canada or any other part of the world for as long as I can work. They wanted me to stay with my family in these testing times. I am getting paid my regular salary and all the pay stubs are available. I am also paying for my car insurance and lease in Canada. However, I gave up on my rented house. Furthermore, all of ties in Canada stay intact e.g. mobile bills, home insurance payment etc. Also, I am not sure if I fall under the category of "Living Outside Canada"

Question:
Can I apply for my spousal sponsorship while in Pakistan? I got married in January 2020. Went back to Canada in February 2020. Came back to Pakistan on April 29th. I have all the paper ready to be dispatched.

Best,
Adeel

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Background:

I am a Canadian PR holder and recently came to Pakistan due to ongoing Pandemic of COVID-19. My employer allowed me to "Work From Home" stating that they could care less if I was in Canada or any other part of the world for as long as I can work. They wanted me to stay with my family in these testing times. I am getting paid my regular salary and all the pay stubs are available. I am also paying for my car insurance and lease in Canada. However, I gave up on my rented house. Furthermore, all of ties in Canada stay intact e.g. mobile bills, home insurance payment etc. Also, I am not sure if I fall under the category of "Living Outside Canada"

Question:
Can I apply for my spousal sponsorship while in Pakistan? I got married in January 2020. Went back to Canada in February 2020. Came back to Pakistan on April 29th. I have all the paper ready to be dispatched.

Best,
Adeel
Others can comment as well but not aware the rules have changed as a result of COVID in that PRs need to be in Canada to apply for spouse sponsorship

Reactions: YVR123

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017

Background:

Question:

Best,
Adeel
Yes, you live outside Canada because you live in Pakistan. You cannot start a spousal sponsorship while living outside Canada as a PR, well you can but it will be rejected so you end up wasting money. I doubt that there will be any special considerations made as it is normal for outland sponsorships for the spouses to be physically apart during processing.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also may still be considered a resident for tax purposes in 2020 when it comes to your taxes even if you are working from Pakistan. You will need to check with CRA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Background:

Question:

Best,
Adeel
No, you can't sponsor your spouse from Pakistan. You need to wait until you return to Canada to submit the app.

adeelakram5

Jan 9, 2016
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-1-2016
Doc's Request.
16-11-2016
Nomination.....
06-12-2016
AOR Received.
03-08-2016
Yes, you live outside Canada because you live in Pakistan. You cannot start a spousal sponsorship while living outside Canada as a PR, well you can but it will be rejected so you end up wasting money. I doubt that there will be any special considerations made as it is normal for outland sponsorships for the spouses to be physically apart during processing.
Is there any definition in law for "Living Outside Canada"?

I left Canada 5 days ago. So I am outside Canada for 5 days for visit purposes and my residential status changes?

Plus I am not going to live in Pakistan for indefinite period. Probably a month or two at most.

Best,
Adeel

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You don’t have a residence in Canada, so you are currently not living here. Mailing an application from Pakistan would be an immediate indication you’re not in Canada and intentions don’t count for anything. Your plans could change tomorrow.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there any definition in law for "Living Outside Canada"?

I left Canada 5 days ago. So I am outside Canada for 5 days for visit purposes and my residential status changes?

Plus I am not going to live in Pakistan for indefinite period. Probably a month or two at most.

Best,
Adeel
You are likely just delaying your process. if it is discovered that you were not in Csnada when you started the process you can be refused at any point in the process and would have to start over again. If it was missed initially it could be discovered later on and you’d be denied and would have to start all over again. If you apply once in Canada you won’t have to worry about being refused and having to start all over again.