+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

sam406

Jan 14, 2018
Hello there,
I recently got engaged and my spouse lives in the US. My spouse already has a Canada visitor visa and we are planning to do our civil ceremony in next few months followed by the religious marriage. I have few questions regarding my spousal sponsorship:
- If I sponsor my spouse from within Canada, then how long it takes for her to get her PR and can she get a work authorization before she gets her PR? If yes, how long it takes for her to get her work authorization after I apply for her?
- If I sponsor my spouse from outside of Canada, which will be US in her case, then how long it takes for her to get her PR and will she be eligible to get a work authorization? If yes, then how long will it take for her to get the work authorization and enter Canada from the US?
- If I sponsor my spouse from outside of Canada and in the middle of her application process if she decides to come to Canada, will she be able to stay in Canada while her process is ongoing and will she have any problem in doing so?
- Is there any income obligation I need to meet in order to sponsor my spouse?

Any help in regards to above questions will be really appreciated. Thank you!

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hello there,
I recently got engaged and my spouse lives in the US. My spouse already has a Canada visitor visa and we are planning to do our civil ceremony in next few months followed by the religious marriage. I have few questions regarding my spousal sponsorship:
- If I sponsor my spouse from within Canada, then how long it takes for her to get her PR and can she get a work authorization before she gets her PR? If yes, how long it takes for her to get her work authorization after I apply for her?
PR- 12 months, could be more or less and yes she can apply for an open work permit (as long as she has legal status in Canada when the PR and OWP application is sent in) which takes 3-4 months.

- If I sponsor my spouse from outside of Canada, which will be US in her case, then how long it takes for her to get her PR and will she be eligible to get a work authorization? If yes, then how long will it take for her to get the work authorization and enter Canada from the US?
PR will take 12 months (more or less). It seems to be processed much fast than applying in Canada. And no she won't be eligible to apply for the open work permit if she applies Outland

- If I sponsor my spouse from outside of Canada and in the middle of her application process if she decides to come to Canada, will she be able to stay in Canada while her process is ongoing and will she have any problem in doing so?
Yes she will be able to enter Canada (of course being allowed entry is at the discretion of the border officer). If she is allowed entry, she can stay for as long as the entry stamp allows her to, or she can apply to extend her stay before it expires. If she is asked to attend an interview for she will have to leave Canada.

- Is there any income obligation I need to meet in order to sponsor my spouse?
No. But you will atleast need to show that you can support her.

Any help in regards to above questions will be really appreciated. Thank you!

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
By the way was your divorce for your previous marriage finalized?

It seems you added your ex wife after you received Copr, then a divorce was filed and you tried to remove her from your application before landing? Or was she not removed from your previous copr? Because if your ex wife was also given PR, you might not be able to sponsor your-to-be-wife