+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

Nov 24, 2019
Hi,
I’m trying to sponsor my husband. We met 1.5 years ago at a volunteer trip and instantly fell in love and starting dating but we live apart so we did long distance for a year and I finally visited him. While visiting, we got married as it would be hard for me to make a trip there again due to work and money. So now that it’s been about 4-5 months we’ve been married, I want to sponsor him since we want to be together ASAP.

But I have few questions that I was hoping I can get answers to rather than hiring a lawyer:
1. We got married abroad, without my family (since they’re religious and are not in complete agreement). What’s a good reason for their absence that doesn’t make it look suspicious?
2. I’m a graduate student, getting paid as a teaching assistant and for research. Does that make me financially stable to support my husband? (Since that’s how I’m planning to support him).
3. Does my family need to be involved in my application? (I do not want them to know about our relationship). Since I do still live with them but I am a co-owner of the house.
4. What are my chances of successfully sponsoring my husband to Canada?
5. Should I get a lawyer instead?

Any help would really be appreciated!

FVPupnorth

Feb 2, 2019
Category........
FAM
Hi,
I’m trying to sponsor my husband. We met 1.5 years ago at a volunteer trip and instantly fell in love and starting dating but we live apart so we did long distance for a year and I finally visited him. While visiting, we got married as it would be hard for me to make a trip there again due to work and money. So now that it’s been about 4-5 months we’ve been married, I want to sponsor him since we want to be together ASAP.

But I have few questions that I was hoping I can get answers to rather than hiring a lawyer:
1. We got married abroad, without my family (since they’re religious and are not in complete agreement). What’s a good reason for their absence that doesn’t make it look suspicious?
2. I’m a graduate student, getting paid as a teaching assistant and for research. Does that make me financially stable to support my husband? (Since that’s how I’m planning to support him).
3. Does my family need to be involved in my application? (I do not want them to know about our relationship). Since I do still live with them but I am a co-owner of the house.

You might want to talk to a lawyer, just to get some advice even if you didn't plan to use one for your application.

Your responses to questions on your IRCC application need to be honest. Families don't always support what we do but I think it would be difficult to hide your relationship and planned immigration to Canada from them.

As for your finances, do a budget so that you know what it would cost to live monthly with him and give them that information. This will provide a few things. The fact that you understand the cost of your monthly situation; also that you have put considerable thought into it and are serious about it.

Good luck!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Where is he from? How much time have you spent together in person? How many visits? On which visit did you marry?

1. The truth... You can't make up a reason that you thinks sounds better.

2. You need to show that you can support yourselves in Canada without welfare. If you are low-income, submit a solid plan.

3. No.

4. If you have solid proof of a genuine relationship, your chances are fine.

5. A lawyer isn't needed.

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Hi,

Did you get married at your second offline meeting? - I think it`s red flag
1.I also married without guests, explained the situation truthfully, it was too expensive for everyone to come. It was necessary to fly from Europe to Latin America, and this is difficult for elderly parents.
2.If you sponsored only a wife or husband without children, there is no minimum income requirement. Write that your husband / wife will work by whom, how quickly she/he will get a job, write that she/he will search work online before arriving in Canada, etc.
3.you need to explain this moment very well - it looks like a red flag! I would consult with a lawyer on this issue.
4.There are always chances, there are many failures on this forum, read other people's stories, you are probably not the first in a similar situation. Your enemy - haste. for example, here is a group where there are many interesting situations
5.you may need a consultation (to clarify how to remove the red flags in your case), but first look at other people's examples on this forum. a lawyer to fill out forms for you is absolutely not needed.
Good luck and do not rush!