+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Taylorcrawford98

Nov 18, 2018
Hi I am wondering if anyone can answer the question I have been stressing about. My girlfriend lives in the U.S. and I live in Canada I am wondering if we would qualify as common law for the spousal sponsorship if we have lived together for 12 consecutive months? We just got engaged and she mostly visits me in Canada, however there is a 6 month limit for visitors, so when this time is up I travel to the states to visit her so technically we havent left each others side. Would this qualify as common law or conjugal?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi I am wondering if anyone can answer the question I have been stressing about. My girlfriend lives in the U.S. and I live in Canada I am wondering if we would qualify as common law for the spousal sponsorship if we have lived together for 12 consecutive months? We just got engaged and she mostly visits me in Canada, however there is a 6 month limit for visitors, so when this time is up I travel to the states to visit her so technically we havent left each others side. Would this qualify as common law or conjugal?
Hi

You are common-law. There is no requirement for the one year of cohabitation to be in the same place. You must be able to prove it.

Taylorcrawford98

Nov 18, 2018
Hi

You are common-law. There is no requirement for the one year of cohabitation to be in the same place. You must be able to prove it.
Hi

Thank you for your response! That helps me a lot. Do I have to provide a written explanation to prove we’ve co-habituated together? And is a photo copy of passport stamps enough proof? It also requires proof of joint bank accounts, etc. How do I prove that or explain that my girlfriend still has most of her documents in the U.S. so I won’t be able to prove financial statements

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your response! That helps me a lot. Do I have to provide a written explanation to prove we’ve co-habituated together? And is a photo copy of passport stamps enough proof? It also requires proof of joint bank accounts, etc. How do I prove that or explain that my girlfriend still has most of her documents in the U.S. so I won’t be able to prove financial statements
A written explanation does not prove common-law. The stamps would be good to show that you continued the cohabitation but are not proof of it.

You need to prove you both lived at the same addresses for at least one continuous year.

Taylorcrawford98

Nov 18, 2018
Okay. I still live with my parents, and she does too, would a piece of mail from them or a written explanation from our parents be okay? I’m not sure what else I can use to prove this when we aren’t paying bills for our own place

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay. I still live with my parents, and she does too, would a piece of mail from them or a written explanation from our parents be okay? I’m not sure what else I can use to prove this when we aren’t paying bills for our own place
You can get letters from your parents but will still need address proofs. Phone bills, bank/credit card statements, payslips, tax documents, immigration documents, IDs, doctor/dentist/medical bills etc.

Taylorcrawford98

Nov 18, 2018
You can get letters from your parents but will still need address proofs. Phone bills, bank/credit card statements, payslips, tax documents, immigration documents, IDs, doctor/dentist/medical bills etc.

Credit card statements, etc. from our parents or myself? Also, how would a phone bill prove we are both at the same address? Do they need a paper copy of these bills?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Credit card statements, etc. from our parents or myself? Also, how would a phone bill prove we are both at the same address? Do they need a paper copy of these bills?
IRCC doesn't care where your parents live...

A phone bill is one proof. You need more. Yes, you need paper copies, as it all must be mailed with the app.

Taylorcrawford98

Nov 18, 2018
IRCC doesn't care where your parents live...

A phone bill is one proof. You need more. Yes, you need paper copies, as it all must be mailed with the app.
How does a phone bill prove you’ve been at the same address though? And they want my credit card statements but it won’t prove anything about being at an address. All it will show is payments for gas, insurance, etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How does a phone bill prove you’ve been at the same address though? And they want my credit card statements but it won’t prove anything about being at an address. All it will show is payments for gas, insurance, etc.
A phone bill doesn't, hence why IRCC requires multiple forms of proof showing the same address over a continuous one year period.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Will it help if there is more proof of our addresses? Should we have a minimum of two pieces of bills each, etc. ?
You need to look at the checklist to see what is required. You need common-law proofs for all addresses you lived at during the qualifying time.