+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
Hello, I urgently need some advice here.
I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada. I got married to my wife last week in Nigeria and want to sponsor her to join me in Canada asap. But her International Passport is on her father's name. As it was obtained before the marriage.
QUESTION:
1. Will her application be rejected for none change of name to that of her new husband?
2. Is it OK for her Police Certificate / Report to still carry her fathers name, or she has to go for change of name before going to obtain Police Report?
Thanks for helping as usual.
Regards,
Wisdom7

Sebeck

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
I can't see that it would be a problem as long as the name on the passport and police certificate matches the name on the forms. Lots of people don't change their name after marriage, so their name in the passport is their pre-marriage one. Just make sure they all match up.

Alternatively, order her a new passport with the new name and then apply under that name for everything. For most countries it is quite straightforward to renew passport based on name change.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hello, I urgently need some advice here.
I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada. I got married to my wife last week in Nigeria and want to sponsor her to join me in Canada asap. But her International Passport is on her father's name. As it was obtained before the marriage.
QUESTION:
1. Will her application be rejected for none change of name to that of her new husband?
2. Is it OK for her Police Certificate / Report to still carry her fathers name, or she has to go for change of name before going to obtain Police Report?
Thanks for helping as usual.
Regards,
Wisdom7

QUESTION:
-------No her application will not be rejected for not changing her maiden name to her new Husband's surname.

-------Maiden Name OR her new Husband's Surname, the Police Certificate will be accepted.

However, you got married just last week, congratulations and best wishes to you and your family.

Changing maiden name to new Husband's surname is not mandatory or required but nice if you could and not in a hurry.

Its another good way to show that your marriage is legally and publicly recognized and help support evidence of your relationship/marriage.
Your wife could go to the court judiciary office, get an affidavit for change of name.
Publish the Change of Name in a National Newspaper.
Include the Change of Name Affidavit and full newspaper publication with the Change of Name page in her application documents package.
Fill and Send the PR sponsorship application Form(s) with her Husband Name (and not her Maiden Name).
If the Name Change is Done, the Police Certificate will be in her Husband Name.
Certainly previous old documents like her birth certificate, etc.....will not change and still carry her Maiden Name.

When she apply, its not mandatory she submit her passport data page, however, it must be sent later during processing before PR visa is issued.
Refer Spousal Sponsorship Checklist Section:
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR SPONSORED PERSONS (PRINCIPAL APPLICANT AND ALL FAMILY MEMBERS) - Q1.

She could send her complete application package without her old passport or with her old passport and a note that the renewed passport will be sent in a few months........you application will not be rejected or returned because of the passport.......but just make sure its sent later.

NOTE: Its not mandatory your wife changes her surname, but its a nice way to show her marriage is legally and publicly recognized and help support evidence of relationship/marriage.

The sponsorship processing time takes between 10 to 12 months to complete...........please do not delay............please use the new checklist..........wish you fast and happy family union in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/application-kit-spousal-sponsorship.html

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: immigrant7

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Wakiki, Thanks a million times for the prompt advice. Really appreciate.
Regards.
Wisdom7
Wisdom7
.......if she decides to change from Maiden to Husband name and renew her travel passport.
When you send IRCC the passport data page.......please send the data page from the new and old passport.......its not mandatory to send the old when you have a new one but its a nice way to further confirm the name change.

Best Wishes.......

Last edited:

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
Wisdom7
.......if she decides to change from Maiden to Husband name and renew her travel passport.
When you send IRCC the passport data page.......please send the data page from the new and old passport.......its not mandatory to send the old when you have a new one but its a nice way to further confirm the name change.

Best Wishes.......

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
Hello Wakki, I have another question.
To she need to do the online eligibility test to download the application form?
Secondly,
Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking:

Under Co-Signer details:

1. Who is refer to here as co-signer? Is it my wife whom I am sponsoring to come to Canada or someone else?

2. She is currently outside Canada. Should I leave question 6 a, b & c blank?

Questions under “Co-signer eligibility assessment” appears not to be for someone who has never been to Canada like my spouse the sponsored. Please clarify.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hello Wakki, I have another question.
Secondly,

Under Co-Signer details:

1. Who is refer to here as co-signer? Is it my wife whom I am sponsoring to come to Canada or someone else?

Questions under “Co-signer eligibility assessment” appears not to be for someone who has never been to Canada like my spouse the sponsored. Please clarify.

Don't understand what you mean. Eligibility test to download IRCC forms or for Passport Renewal ?

Don't think she need an eligibility test for either.

Under Co-Signer details:

Since you are the only Sponsor, you don't have a Co-Signer.

In IMM1344 form PART 1 - Q3......select "NO".........as you do not have a Co-Signer.

Do not fill the Co-Signer sections. Leave them blank.

Do not fill the Co-Signer eligibility assessment section. Leave it blank.

Misrepresentation is a very serious offense with IRCC, so make sure the information you provide when fill the forms are honest.

Don't hide previous information but rather if necessary provide the information and possibly an explanation (especially IMM5669 Q4.d........select "YES" if she has any previous type of application for visa to Canada.....better she is honest to avoid creating problems).

Also, after you have sent your application to IRCC, anytime you send money to your spouse through Western Union, please keep the transfer documents.

Refer Spousal Sponsorship Checklist: SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR SPONSORED PERSON - Q7.e (4th checkbox).

The Western Union transfer documents is a good docs to show support for your spouse and proof of relationship......you do not need to include when you send your application........but could send them later to IRCC like after you after your medical exam.

You could also do this, if you decide you decide to change your Marital Status to "Married" when you file for 2018 tax, the transfer docs are also good to prove you financial support for your spouse as a dependant.......please am not asking you to send your 2018 tax return to IRCC and you are not required to send the tax return to IRCC.......you may not claim tax credit by changing your Marital Status to "Married" as your wife is not yet a "Resident" but in-reality you are "Married"....so its up to you.

I remember from your first post that you married in Nigeria, if your sponsorship application is "OUTLAND", (i.e., your wife resides and applying from Nigeria), i guess it will be processed at Accra VO. There is a thread on this site for AVO spousal sponsorship applicants where they discuss their experience.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/thread-for-acrra-ghana-applicants.64640/page-1061

Last edited: