+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There is no guarantee. There are ppl who have been married for a while and their TRVs have been rejected. Ppl who have not given their biometrics have been waiting since June for any update abt their TRV and there is no news. But yeah there are few who got their application accepted too. So u can always try.
The question was regarding a Singaporean passport holder, who does not need a TRV (visa waiver country).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When to expect PR email after you receive medical request for your spouse?
Medical request is usually soon after AOR and at the beginning of the sponsorship process. Could still be 6-12 months or even more until a person gets COPR after that. You only applied in February 2020 so you have many months before you get COPR. Expect applications to take over a year. Depending on where your spouse is from and whether an interview is needed it could take significantly longer.

Reactions: Neha255

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Please can I send my passport to a visa office different from the visa office that sent the passport request? Also, which visa office in Canada gives visas quickly?
You need permission before sending your passport to an office. Have you updated your current location with CIC?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone..
if my marriage contract was done by proxy (I wasn’t there.. I didn’t sign it myself) but I was present on the wedding party and I have photos and everything.. we live together 3 months and then I had to come back to Canada because the school year was about to start. Will that be refused or it is OK since I was present on my wedding day “reception”.
Younhave to be present to sign the contract or that part of the wedding is not considered valid. If you were there for the reception why didn’t you sign the contract?

Reactions: Ex ツ

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

I think I know what we need to do, but would love some input from the experts on this forum. I am a US citizen, my husband is a Canadian citizen currently here in the US on a student visa. We have a daughter born in March of this year and we have sent in her application for a Canadian citizenship application. My husband is applying for jobs in Canada as his degree wraps up. We are planning on applying for my PR as an outland application, hopefully within the next month or so. If he then gets a job before I get PR (which seems likely) our plan is to have my daughter and I come in on a tourist visa to stay with him. (Though hopefully her Canadian citizenship will come through soon, though I am not sure we'd be able to get her Canadian passport quickly thanks to COVID.) We did do a consult with a lawyer who actually was the one who suggested this plan to us,though we intend to prepare our own application. My questions are:

1. Has anyone done this where they enter under dual intent as a US citizen as a tourist and telling the officer at the border that your PR application is in progress? The lawyer made it sound like so long as you say you are reuniting your family, and state that you know that if your PR doesn't come in within 6 months that you have to leave or apply for an extension, you should be fine, but I would love to hear more from people who have done this.

2. There are a couple things that it looks like we will have to explain, specifically the fact that my husband doesn't currently have a job yet but is looking, that we intend to move to Canada, and the added info as we have been married 1.5 years. We were planning on writing a letter of explanation from my husband as the sponsor for the whole package with sections headed for each thing that needs explanation with written explanation and a list of supporting documents for each thing. For instance for the job thing something like: "I am finishing up my doctorate degree from X University with an anticipated graduation date of December 2020. Because I am still in school I am not currently employed in Canada. However, I am actively looking for work in Canada. As of [today's date] I have applied to the following positions [list positions] and have received an interview at Y place and Z place. See screenshots of job applications attached for proof of this."

3. Under the additional documents for people married less than 1.5 years, are the letters from family and friends letters they write in support of your relationship addressed to the immigration folks, or mail jointly addressed to you? I know that is a dumb question, but want to be sure I understand that.

4. For the question on where you would live in Canada, given that we don't know yet and it will be based on my husband's job do we just write that, or pick a province where he's applied for jobs, or...?

5. Any other tips or suggestions? Do's or dont's?

Thanks so much!
Wouldn’t suggest you not try to move with all your belongings. If your husband moves them without you it will likely be fine. Very hard to say you will leave if you aren’t granted an extension if you have all your belongings with you. Would be best if you enter as a visitor and if you are asked for more detail I would explain that you are being sponsored and have the receipt for your application with you.

fenimi

Sep 18, 2020
You need permission before sending your passport to an office. Have you updated your current location with CIC?
I already have passport request. Please which other permission do I need? Yes, the current location is Vancouver but the application was processed in Accra.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I already have passport request. Please which other permission do I need? Yes, the current location is Vancouver but the application was processed in Accra.
I repeat previous question - does your passport request refer to the possibility of sending to Ottawa if your spouse is in Canada?

Reactions: maba

seedifly

Sep 19, 2020
Hi Everyone - I do and don't know where to begin. I filled out the application for a spousal sponsorship while abroad (I live in Mexico. I am Canadian, my hubs is Mexican) 2 years ago and then pressed pause, and have just completed it again. Here is where I am stuck. 1. We don't know exactly where we would like to live, this would depend on where my husband finds work. 2. My husband has a daughter in Norway and her mother is uncooperative in providing us with a copy of her birth certificate 3. We are uncertain of the timeline. Once we receive the "OK" you can come to Canada now ... how long do we have to actually touch down in the country? 4. Is the wait time 1+ years right now? 5. If my husband is called in for an interview, is this in Mexico, or Canada? Thanks you all so much. I hope to be able to pay it forward.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The passport request did not mention any office. It just mentioned sending the passport to a VAC.
Contact ircc or your visa office. It is possible to submit in Canada.

I'm still not confident you've read the passport letter thoroughly. My question made no reference to an office.

Dude29

Star Member
Dec 23, 2019
Hi...applied for wife's TRV in July but got rejected...our outland application was received on 30th March...TRV rejection was not mentioned in our application as we got rejected after we sent our app....should we send a webform to mention that we have a TRV refusal or it's ok?

Noraalzomor

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Younhave to be present to sign the contract or that part of the wedding is not considered valid. If you were there for the reception why didn’t you sign the contract?
In our traditions, I can’t contact my fiancé unless we have marriage contract. So, in order to get to know him we did the contract by proxy. And because this is allowed in our country, we didn’t renew it or sign a new one!
Now, what should I do?

guruji010101

Sep 10, 2020
Hi,
Right now I am preparing for sending application to Sydney, NS for outland application for my spouse PR application. I am PR living in Canada and she is in India.

My questions are following:
#What is the right time to create online account for the spouse visa application?
#does any of the forms requires any application number we are filling right now beside sponsor UCI id that I hav.?
#How the authority at the immigration department will know this package belongs to this application?

Little bit confused

Please answer in order to understand the replies better. Thanks in advance.