+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

kylelowry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
Refusal of entry is very rare when a sponsorship app is in process. If she shows up at the border with all of her worldly possessions and declares she's moving to Canada, she may be refused. If she comes with a few bags and states she is visiting her spouse, she should be perfectly fine.
Thanks for the response @canuck_in_uk. Yes, she's planning to just bring one bag. Plus, she has her graduation ceremony in probably 3 weeks after she lands (we don't plan to attend that). So we are hoping to mention that she'll be visiting me for 3 weeks and then returning for graduation (we'll change the ticket later).

Hope this is ok. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the response @canuck_in_uk. Yes, she's planning to just bring one bag. Plus, she has her graduation ceremony in probably 3 weeks after she lands (we don't plan to attend that). So we are hoping to mention that she'll be visiting me for 3 weeks and then returning for graduation (we'll change the ticket later).

Hope this is ok. :)
Don't lie. CBSA officers know this scenario and know that it is very unlikely that she is leaving Canada.

Reactions: Belarusian

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for the response. Another question, in case we apply for Tourist visa and regardless of the outcome, do we need to inform IRCC regarding this?
You apply to IRCC for the TRV, so no, you don't need to tell IRCC you've applied for a TRV.

kylelowry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
Don't lie. CBSA officers know this scenario and know that it is very unlikely that she is leaving Canada.
Im confused. In your previous response, i thought you advised to tell the CBSA officer that she's just visiting me. If her intention is to stay till she gets her PR then how should I state that to the officer. Further, for how long should the return ticket be for?

Appreciate your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Im confused. In your previous response, i thought you advised to tell the CBSA officer that she's just visiting me. If her intention is to stay till she gets her PR then how should I state that to the officer. Further, for how long should the return ticket be for?

Appreciate your help.
She IS just visiting, as she does not have the right to live in Canada and if denied PR, she would have to leave. However, CBSA is aware that in these situations, the PR app will likely be approved while the person is in Canada and therefore they won't leave.

Reactions: kylelowry

kylelowry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2019
She IS just visiting, as she does not have the right to live in Canada and if denied PR, she would have to leave. However, CBSA is aware that in these situations, the PR app will likely be approved while the person is in Canada and therefore they won't leave.
Understood. One last question - for how long do you suggest the return ticket to be? We don't want to land without a return ticket. Just wondering what the best duration would be. Would a period of 1 or 2 months be too much for a visit?

Thanks again. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Understood. One last question - for how long do you suggest the return ticket to be? We don't want to land without a return ticket. Just wondering what the best duration would be. Would a period of 1 or 2 months be too much for a visit?

Thanks again. :)
That should be fine.

Reactions: kylelowry

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
I'm November 2019 application, #Quebec, #Outland. My file was transferred to Manila VO and waiting for #CSQ, not Medical request yet.

I'm planning to move another country which belongs to Singapore VO early. Do you think my file will not have any issue with that? When do I need to inform them that I change my address? Anybody here has same issue?

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Super helpful! Thanks!

I have another few questions -

For the "Schedule A Background Form" -
My wife didn't complete high school traditionally, but completed her GED instead. What should she put for the time that she spent in high school? Would it be "4" due to the GED's academic credentialing, or should we try and put together a rough estimate of the amount of time that she took to study/complete the test? Should we just include an addendum/explanation on an additional piece of paper stating that she got her GED?

My wife doesn't have a father listed on her birth certificate. She didn't really know him (knew his name kind of, but they never met in person. I believe they spoke brielfly on the phone once.) He passed away recently, and that's about as much as she ever knew of him I believe, aside from speaking with him on the phone once. Should we just put "Unknown" for the father's details?

They ask if you've ever been in a common-law relationship previously. Does that apply to relationships that occurred before the age of 18? My understanding is "no," due to 18 being the minimum age in Canada to be in a common-law relationship.

For the "Sponsorship Evaluation and Questionnaire," it asks for the sponsor's work history. I worked for a company for 5 years, and received around 4 promotions. Do I have to break out each position that I worked as a separate entry, or can I just put the employment history as a long block with my most recent job title?

For the "Part C" section of the Sponsorship Evaluation and Questionnaire, what type of language should I use? Should it be first-person, "I, We, Etc." or third-person? Right now what I have is fairly sterile, "The applicant and the sponsor first met in..." that type of thing. Does that work?

Let me know. Thanks!
Sorry for the delayed response, I am just seeing this now. Here's how I'd handle your queries:

1. Put the actual years spent in the formal school system. But then explain on a separate sheet of paper that she received her GED, thus the "shortage" of schooling years.

2. Yes, "Unknown" for father's information should suffice. She has to provide a copy of her birth certificate anyway, so if the submitted info on the Schedule A matches the info on the birth certificate, then I think that would be fine.

3. I would not consider a common law relationship that happened prior to the age of 18 a true common law relationship that would need to be reported on these documents.

4. I had same situation, one employer with multiple promotions over several years; I only listed them as one job with a time frame of 6 years, with my final title named.

5. On my paperwork I used "I/We," as I thought it sounded more personable, authentic and less sterile.

Arma

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
My application just forwarded to VO Nairobi did I do something or wait until they communicate and i want to know about spreadsheets anyone knows about this thing thank you

Tkkfamily

Jan 3, 2020
Category........
FAM
I am sponsoring my husband and he has just finished Biometric and medical exam this week. And we are expecting the request for No criminal record soon. And while the application is in progress, is it okay for my husband to fly together with the rest of the family to settle in few mths later and wait for the landed paper in Canada as visitor? And what is the bad side of this arrangement? Can anyone help?! Thanks alot!!!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I am sponsoring my husband and he has just finished Biometric and medical exam this week. And we are expecting the request for No criminal record soon. And while the application is in progress, is it okay for my husband to fly together with the rest of the family to settle in few mths later and wait for the landed paper in Canada as visitor? And what is the bad side of this arrangement? Can anyone help?! Thanks alot!!!
If the father has a visa or is visa-exempt, he can try. If an interview is required, he would be required to leave Canada to do the interview.

If he needs a visa and does not have one, he will most likely not get one.

He could still be denied entry at the border if he has a visa or is visa exempt, but that is not the most likely scenario.