+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

fozfer

Apr 15, 2013
Quote from: fozfer on May 25, 2013, 11:49:37 pm
URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!

hey guys, I just received my passport request for my own PR last week. My fiancée is here in Canada on a student visa. We are planning to get married soon. Is it better to marry now and inform CIC about my change in marital status OR get my own PR and apply for her later? Please help me in this regard. Cheers

Quote from: Amikety on May 25, 2013
If you get married before you land, you'll have to add her to your application. It means pausing to get her police checks, forms filled out, etc. If you get married and land without declaring her, you can never sponsor her.

You can sponsor her after you land Inland Spousal PR, where she can stay in Canada, get a work permit after Stage 1 approval, and continue to study. Or you can sponsor her Outland to her home country visa office if they are faster (or she needs to leave Canada because she wants to travel or visit her home country).

It's really up to you, just make sure you do not land on a "single" visa as a married man!

MY NEXT QUESTION:

Thanks a lot Amikety!

I completely understand what you are saying. My only question would be if we do get married before my land and I declare it (which is the right thing to do), how long the process takes to complete the PR process. I mean how much longer I have to wait to finally get my PR by adding spouse to my application. Why I am concerned about this is that my work permit is expiring by October 2013 so I want to make sure if I have enough time or not?!

anyone's help will be highly appreciated!

maiandjames13

May 25, 2013
HELP NEEDED.

Hello, my common law partner will be eligible to sponsor me on September 1st 2013.
We have joint bank accounts, a lease showing our names, and a record of phone calls almost every single day we've been together.
He also added me as his beneficiary. We have lots of friends who are willing to write letters and swear on the validity of our relationship.
The problem is, I am on a student visa, but I cannot go to school right now because my parents have cut me off financially. My student visa expires in July 2014.
My common law partner is willing to support me during the wait, but I know it will drive me crazy.
More importantly, I don't have my birth certificate. My parents have it in Bahrain, and the only way to get another copy is to fly to Bahrain myself and give them my national identity card (which expires in July this year). I have my passport, which expires in 2015. The only problem is I don't have the funds to travel right now. I have enough saved for the application and medical exam and police certificate.
The other problem is that I don't have my parents' exact names on their passports. I'm pretty sure it needs to be the exact spelling on their passports.
I really don't want my application to be refused, I'm planning on applying inland because the processing time in the Abu Dhabi office is 22 months and I would have to go there for an interview if needed. (Seeing as I don't have a birth certificate, they probably will ask for one).
So the bottom line is, does anyone know if not having my parents' cooperation will hurt my application, if not being in school will hurt my application, and if not having my birth certificate or parents' exact names will hurt my application? And if so, what can I do that will prevent my application from being denied/delayed? Oh, and also, his parents are Christian reformed and do not approve of our relationship either. (Based on religious reasons) ::)

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
fozfer said:
Quote from: fozfer on May 25, 2013, 11:49:37 pm
URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!

hey guys, I just received my passport request for my own PR last week. My fiancée is here in Canada on a student visa. We are planning to get married soon. Is it better to marry now and inform CIC about my change in marital status OR get my own PR and apply for her later? Please help me in this regard. Cheers

Quote from: Amikety on May 25, 2013
If you get married before you land, you'll have to add her to your application. It means pausing to get her police checks, forms filled out, etc. If you get married and land without declaring her, you can never sponsor her.

You can sponsor her after you land Inland Spousal PR, where she can stay in Canada, get a work permit after Stage 1 approval, and continue to study. Or you can sponsor her Outland to her home country visa office if they are faster (or she needs to leave Canada because she wants to travel or visit her home country).

It's really up to you, just make sure you do not land on a "single" visa as a married man!

MY NEXT QUESTION:

Thanks a lot Amikety!

I completely understand what you are saying. My only question would be if we do get married before my land and I declare it (which is the right thing to do), how long the process takes to complete the PR process. I mean how much longer I have to wait to finally get my PR by adding spouse to my application. Why I am concerned about this is that my work permit is expiring by October 2013 so I want to make sure if I have enough time or not?!

anyone's help will be highly appreciated!
Assuming that you don't already qualify as "common-law", it might be better for you not to marry until after you land. If you DO qualify as "common-law", this option is not available to you and you will have to add her to your application before landing. This would add a delay but you would have no option, as not doing so would be misrepresentation, the same as not declaring if you got married before landing.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
zardoz said:
Assuming that you don't already qualify as "common-law", it might be better for you not to marry until after you land. If you DO qualify as "common-law", this option is not available to you and you will have to add her to your application before landing. This would add a delay but you would have no option, as not doing so would be misrepresentation, the same as not declaring if you got married before landing.
Very good point!

If you are common-law or married, you can also apply for a spousal open work permit based on her study permit. There are other options for you to look at if you need to add her. I'm not sure how long extra it takes (I've heard 2-3 months, but I don't know how accurate that is).

gamyover

Apr 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2013
Doc's Request.
8-11-2013
AOR Received.
10-08-2013 CPC-M, 8-11-2013 Mexico VO
File Transfer...
22-08-2013
Med's Done....
19-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
16-04-2014
I just read in another post was an update in two or the immigration forms, I already filled out and printed IMM11344E and IMM008E. In the Sponsor Undertaking one I saw they added a part for the co signer details, we don't have a co signer, and the IMM008 but of course the date in the botton of it is different.

Maybe is a silly question but do I have to fill out now the new ones and print them again? Non of the co signer part apply to me.

:'( I'm getting desperate because is taking me so long to fill out this, plus I have no printer and I just had the chance to do it, but i don't think I can print them again there.

I would appreciate any answer.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
gamyover said:
I just read in another post was an update in two or the immigration forms, I already filled out and printed IMM11344E and IMM008E. In the Sponsor Undertaking one I saw they added a part for the co signer details, we don't have a co signer, and the IMM008 but of course the date in the botton of it is different.

Maybe is a silly question but do I have to fill out now the new ones and print them again? Non of the co signer part apply to me.

:'( I'm getting desperate because is taking me so long to fill out this, plus I have no printer and I just had the chance to do it, but i don't think I can print them again there.

I would appreciate any answer.
I would recommend filling out the new version and re-printing it. CIC sometimes sends applications back because the forms used are not the current ones. In your situation, it would concededly be quite stupid for CIC to return your application for that reason, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. You could, of course, take the risk, but if the application is returned to you, it could add substantial delays (not only would you need to resubmit, but you might have police certificates that expired).

I know that's not a very satisfactory answer to hear, but I hope it's helpful.

IvanP

gamyover

Apr 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2013
Doc's Request.
8-11-2013
AOR Received.
10-08-2013 CPC-M, 8-11-2013 Mexico VO
File Transfer...
22-08-2013
Med's Done....
19-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
16-04-2014
IvanP said:
I would recommend filling out the new version and re-printing it. CIC sometimes sends applications back because the forms used are not the current ones. In your situation, it would concededly be quite stupid for CIC to return your application for that reason, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. You could, of course, take the risk, but if the application is returned to you, it could add substantial delays (not only would you need to resubmit, but you might have police certificates that expired).

I know that's not a very satisfactory answer to hear, but I hope it's helpful.

IvanP
Yeah I thought they possible would send me the application back, and talking to hubby I told him I'm filling them out again and printed again. Thank you for your advice :)

savinca

Sep 18, 2012
scylla said:
The rep is wrong (unfortunately the CIC call centre often gives out incorrect information). The rule still applies. I you are a PR you must be living in Canada from the time you submit the application until the time the application is finalized. Again, short trips are OK (I think you can definitely get away with three weeks - maybe even a month as long as you don't do it more than once a year). Anything more, and you risk having your application refused.
Thank you very much, scylla,

if I stay in Canada to submit the outland application, during the processing period, can my spouse come here visit me and stay with me? Can she get a work permit?

also according to the new law, sponsored spouse has to live with the sponsor in Canada for two years under a sort of temporary PR status, then he/she can get the "real" PR status.

If in this case, can I and my spouse travel out of Canada for business or leisure back and forth? Or have to stay (stuck) in Canada for 2 years...?

juliajulyf

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 14, 2013
AOR Received.
Nov 14, 2013
File Transfer...
Dec 02, 2013
Med's Request
Remed Request ; July 10,2014
Med's Done....
July 11,2013 ; ( Remed Done: July 14,2014 )
Passport Req..
June 05,2014
VISA ISSUED...
September 2014
LANDED..........
October 2014
hi i am filling up Generica application form and im stucked in wuestion Number 3" How many family members including you in this application" ?Am i going to answer 1? since my my background is my Son is already applying for his proof of canadian citizenship .Pls help!

ilovekj

Star Member
Mar 13, 2013
Can i ask how you printed your skype logs? did you use the program nirsoft then copy pasted it on excel or just copy pasted the whole history into MS word. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
savinca said:
if I stay in Canada to submit the outland application, during the processing period, can my spouse come here visit me and stay with me? Can she get a work permit? also according to the new law, sponsored spouse has to live with the sponsor in Canada for two years under a sort of temporary PR status, then he/she can get the "real" PR status.If in this case, can I and my spouse travel out of Canada for business or leisure back and forth? Or have to stay (stuck) in Canada for 2 years...?
Your spouse can certainly come to Canada as a visitor (however your spouse cannot "live" in Canada until PR has been approved). If your spouse is from a non-visa exempt country and requires a tourist visa to visit Canada - there is unfortunately no guarantee the visa will be approved. To apply for a work permit under an outland application, your spouse will first have to find an employer in Canada and that employer will have to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion.

Yes - you and your spouse can travel outside of Canada after your spouse receives PR. There is no requirement to remain in Canada for 2 years.

TStuart

Mar 3, 2013
Can someone please help?

I'm a Canadian living in Britain and am applying to sponsor my common-law partner and our son.

They've gotten their photos done today (8 each) for the permanent residence application and we followed the instructions in the region specific guide (appendix B). Nowhere here does it say that the photographer needs to sign or date the back of these photos. However, in other documents on the CIC website it says the date photo was taken should be written on the back.

Does anything need to be written on the back of these photos?? Sorry, I've trawled through this section of the website and can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Thanks for any advice

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If it's any help, we also followed the instructions and it didn't say anything about dating/signing photographs.
I actually gave the specification sheet to the photographers, so that they would be in full compliance.

I don't think you should worry.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
maiandjames13 said:
HELP NEEDED.

Hello, my common law partner will be eligible to sponsor me on September 1st 2013.
We have joint bank accounts, a lease showing our names, and a record of phone calls almost every single day we've been together.
He also added me as his beneficiary. We have lots of friends who are willing to write letters and swear on the validity of our relationship.
The problem is, I am on a student visa, but I cannot go to school right now because my parents have cut me off financially. My student visa expires in July 2014.
My common law partner is willing to support me during the wait, but I know it will drive me crazy.
More importantly, I don't have my birth certificate. My parents have it in Bahrain, and the only way to get another copy is to fly to Bahrain myself and give them my national identity card (which expires in July this year). I have my passport, which expires in 2015. The only problem is I don't have the funds to travel right now. I have enough saved for the application and medical exam and police certificate.
The other problem is that I don't have my parents' exact names on their passports. I'm pretty sure it needs to be the exact spelling on their passports.
I really don't want my application to be refused, I'm planning on applying inland because the processing time in the Abu Dhabi office is 22 months and I would have to go there for an interview if needed. (Seeing as I don't have a birth certificate, they probably will ask for one).
So the bottom line is, does anyone know if not having my parents' cooperation will hurt my application, if not being in school will hurt my application, and if not having my birth certificate or parents' exact names will hurt my application? And if so, what can I do that will prevent my application from being denied/delayed? Oh, and also, his parents are Christian reformed and do not approve of our relationship either. (Based on religious reasons) ::)

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!! :D
Your passport should suffice for the purposes of identification, plus you have a student visa, which means that you already went though ID verification; why do you think you need your birth certificate? Just write down your parents names as you know them, regardless of how their names appear on their passports. As long as you provide the information to the best of your knowledge, you will be ok as CIC will not ask for your parent's passports. Your parents (or his) cooperation or approval do not affect or hurt your application, this is between your partner, you and CIC. Phone records are only relevant for long distance relationships (don't you guys live together? you mentioned a lease in both names). The most important piece here is your police records from Bahrain. Also, not enrolling in school may invalidate your student visa (which should not be an issue if you do not leave Canada, but you may not be able to benefit from implied status by the time you apply). Because your student visa expires in less than a year by the time you apply, CIC may want to see proof of ongoing relationship after the application is received (they may ask for that months after you apply). I hope this helps.

maiandjames13

May 25, 2013
Thank you so much. Will I have to go back to Bahrain for the police certificate? It says I only need certificates for places I have lived in for 6 months or more after I turned 18. I came to Canada less than 6 months after I turned 18. Will I still need a police certificate from my country, or will a canadian police certificate suffice?