+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Emhub

Apr 23, 2012
Hello,

Over the last several months, I remember reading a few good posts describing the landing procedure, documents needed, timing, etc. However, I am unable to locate any of them now. Could someone kindly post a link towards any recent post about landing at the airport. In our case, it will be a sponsored spouse landing in Montreal with no extra belongings aside from checked luggage.

Thank you,
Emhub

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Emhub said:
Over the last several months, I remember reading a few good posts describing the landing procedure, documents needed, timing, etc. However, I am unable to locate any of them now. Could someone kindly post a link towards any recent post about landing at the airport. In our case, it will be a sponsored spouse landing in Montreal with no extra belongings aside from checked luggage.
It's quite straight-forward. They need exactly two things: your passport and the two copies of your COPR. If you are importing anything, you should list it on a B4/B4A - even if it's just the small amount of stuff in your luggage. If you are setting in Quebec they also require a copy of your CAQ as I recall (I landed in BC, not in QC). If you aren't settling in Quebec, they may want to see your onward ticket for your intended province of landing (instead of the CAQ).

So, when you get to the primary inspection line, you just need to explain to the officer that you will be landing. He may scan your passports and will then scribble something on a referral slip and send you to the secondary inspection line. When you get to the front of the line, you will hand your passport and COPR to the officer. My experience (ah, it's like only yesterday ;) ) is that this is it. Some basic questions ("are you importing any goods into Canada") and they process your COPR, which takes a couple of minutes. Then they go over the form, emphasizing the "no criminal convictions" and "all dependents have been declared". I had to initial those two sections and sign on the bottom. The officer kept one copy, stamped my passport, wrote the document number into my passport and stapled the COPR into my passport then folded it up to fit inside.

The entire process is 5 minutes long.

At the end, you are no longer a foreign national, you are a permanent resident of Canada!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Two random questions about the forms for spousal sponsorship...

First, we have some unknowns. I'm not so worried about the 'unknown' on previous spouse's current address (as neither of us keep in contact with the ex-spouse) because neither of us have children with the ex-spouse to have a need to keep in contact. I am more concerned with the unknown for things such as my husband's mom's year of birth (because he refuses to ask her) and my mother's current address (because we are estranged and haven't spoke since 2005). I plan on explaining my situation while my husband doesn't seem to think it's a big deal.

My husband is also unconcerned with the accuracy of his application concerning dates. He imput a date 8 days incorrect (because he guessed instead of verifying). I'm of the opinion putting down the date of his divorce correctly is important, while he shrugged it off. I can see this getting our application returned/rejected... His main reason for not caring is because he doesn't want to fill out the form again (this one wouldn't save, it was a one time use). Is it acceptable to cross out the incorrect date and correct it in ink pen? It would be a lot easier than listening to him complain and a lot less stress too.

If not, writing a scathing reply of why exact dates are important and the consquences would be nice so I have something to show him instead of 'nagging' him to death... One would think he forgot he made the decision to do this when he decided to get married.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
amikety said:
First, we have some unknowns. I'm not so worried about the 'unknown' on previous spouse's current address (as neither of us keep in contact with the ex-spouse) because neither of us have children with the ex-spouse to have a need to keep in contact. I am more concerned with the unknown for things such as my husband's mom's year of birth (because he refuses to ask her) and my mother's current address (because we are estranged and haven't spoke since 2005). I plan on explaining my situation while my husband doesn't seem to think it's a big deal.
Then put down your best guess and attach a piece of paper and explain why you made that guess and that it is a guess. What you are trying to avoid is misrepresentation because that will cause you a lot of grief. But approximations are fine.

amikety said:
My husband is also unconcerned with the accuracy of his application concerning dates. He imput a date 8 days incorrect (because he guessed instead of verifying). I'm of the opinion putting down the date of his divorce correctly is important, while he shrugged it off. I can see this getting our application returned/rejected... His main reason for not caring is because he doesn't want to fill out the form again (this one wouldn't save, it was a one time use). Is it acceptable to cross out the incorrect date and correct it in ink pen? It would be a lot easier than listening to him complain and a lot less stress too.
There's a cumulative effect here - too many of these sorts of things and a VO is going to start wondering what else isn't right in your application and that leads to digging and verification and longer processing times.

If the form is bar coded, it needs to be re-done because no handwritten change on a barcode form is going to be picked up. If the form is not bar-coded, then manually correcting the form will be observed by the data entry person.

amikety said:
If not, writing a scathing reply of why exact dates are important and the consquences would be nice so I have something to show him instead of 'nagging' him to death... One would think he forgot he made the decision to do this when he decided to get married.
CIC officers are not well known for having a tremendous sense of humour. Thus, I would focus on making the application as complete and accurate as possible. A sloppy application with noticeable errors and incorrect information is much more likely to be scrutinized. So worse than having it returned to you, it might just add 3 months onto the processing time as they validate additional information.

Good luck!

VPS

Star Member
May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-09-2012
File Transfer...
20th sept 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Interview........
Nopes
Passport Req..
01-10-2012, PP sent n recvd 19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
4 th Feb 2012, received on 11th Feb 2012
LANDED..........
March first week
Anyone here had a long travel history, who can share the time taken from PPR to Visa issued??? My VO is New Delhi..
The applicant has 4 passports over the past few years with all pages stamped of various countries (travelling job and leisure travelling). Saw few threads randomly that long travel history may delay the processing. Is it true?? Would they check each and every page of the PP for security reasons ?

Thanks
VPS

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
amikety said:
Two random questions about the forms for spousal sponsorship...

It's pretty important that dates be correct. And any key missing dates needs to be explained. This isn't a time to take short cuts. A few small short cuts now could cost you months or even years in application processing. The application is a legal document and at the end your signature confirms the information in that document is correct.

He's going to need to find out the correct dates of his divorce. He's also going to have to include the divorce paperwork as part of the application. The date of the divorce will be in the legal paperwork.

Baby1990

Star Member
Oct 15, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Friends,
Please somebody help me.
I was a international student in Ontario from last 1 year and I am of 23.
I just got PR base on my family business immigration. We are now moving to Manitoba. But my Bf is in Ontario and he is student. Both of our parents knew about us. He now wants to come there to Manitoba but can't come before June 2013. He has to complete his studies nad he is in 1st year.
Now my parents become greedy and not allowing to get marry with a non-Pr boy. I would like to marry him to give him Pr. I should marry in Ontario or in Manitoba to give him PR. so that i can show my parents that he has PR. we love each other but my parents aren't supportive n allowing me to meet with him ever and saying we are gonna kill u. I want him to make a permanent resident asap.
Its hard to live without him.
Please let me know how i can apply, how much money i should spend or how much need to show. Now i live in Manitoba and he is in Ontario.

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ help me. What should i do and when i should start.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Baby1990 said:
Hi Friends,
Please somebody help me.
I was a international student in Ontario from last 1 year and I am of 23.
I just got PR base on my family business immigration. We are now moving to Manitoba. But my Bf is in Ontario and he is student. Both of our parents knew about us. He now wants to come there to Manitoba but can't come before June 2013. He has to complete his studies nad he is in 1st year.
Now my parents become greedy and not allowing to get marry with a non-Pr boy. I would like to marry him to give him Pr. I should marry in Ontario or in Manitoba to give him PR. so that i can show my parents that he has PR. we love each other but my parents aren't supportive n allowing me to meet with him ever and saying we are gonna kill u. I want him to make a permanent resident asap.
Its hard to live without him.
Please let me know how i can apply, how much money i should spend or how much need to show. Now i live in Manitoba and he is in Ontario.

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ help me. What should i do and when i should start.
You can marry him wherever you want, it doesn't make that much of a difference. As for money, the fees is 1040. Add in the cost for medicals and police check, it's about 1200-1500 dollars. You need proof of a genuine relationship. This is e-mails, facebook convos, phone logs, etc. I'd start by reading the first post of this thread, it will tell you quite a bit about what to do :)

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
For an outland app, is it a good idea to include duplicate copies of things like photos, proof of relationship, etc, or will the Canadian office send them off to the outland office once the sponsor's been approved?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
chipits said:
For an outland app, is it a good idea to include duplicate copies of things like photos, proof of relationship, etc, or will the Canadian office send them off to the outland office once the sponsor's been approved?
CPC-M will forward the relevant bits to the visa office. I was rather surprised at the physical documents that the VO returned to me along with my COPR (including pictures and the original documents I'd submitted to them.)

miracle2012

Oct 11, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have applied for my husband who is in India at the end of April 2012. The sponsorship was approved in August and they asked for passport at the end of August and New Delhi received it on the first week of September. But the CIC site says that we have started your processing on Sept 17th. So far we have not heard anything or received the passport. My question is if they have asked for the passport, that means they have waived the interview, right?
This is so frustrating and there is no way to know what's happening :(

fkovac81

Oct 15, 2012
hi all,

Fairly new on these forums and just about to send off the application to sponsor my wife. All the forms are completed... What a process! :) in any case just had some questions that maybe somebody can help.
My question is for an Outland application, the portion pertaining to the "medical exam". Does the exam have to be done before or after the application is submitted. Is there a difference, and if so, are there any pros/cons?

Thank you

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
fkovac81 said:
Fairly new on these forums and just about to send off the application to sponsor my wife. All the forms are completed... What a process! :) in any case just had some questions that maybe somebody can help.
My question is for an Outland application, the portion pertaining to the "medical exam". Does the exam have to be done before or after the application is submitted. Is there a difference, and if so, are there any pros/cons?
Most Outland offices require that the medical examination be done before submitting the application. If you send it without medicals, in some cases they may return the application to you as incomplete and in others they may initiate processing the application and then request the medicals at a future date.

Generally, people send them in because even when they request them at a future date/time it adds a couple of months onto the process.

fkovac81

Oct 15, 2012
computergeek said:
Most Outland offices require that the medical examination be done before submitting the application. If you send it without medicals, in some cases they may return the application to you as incomplete and in others they may initiate processing the application and then request the medicals at a future date.

Generally, people send them in because even when they request them at a future date/time it adds a couple of months onto the process.
Thank you for the quick reply. Guess I'll be looking to make an appointment to do that sooner than later. Much appreciated! :)

zhaturday

Jul 14, 2012
Hello!

I was trying to look for really good information that will help us as me and my fiance plan to be together next year. We will gt married next month and after that he will start processing for sponsorship. However sir, based from Quebec immigration, one needs to be making at least $22,000 a year plus $15,000 per year to qualify as a sponsor. Sir, he only makes around $25,000 a year. =( I am extremely worried. But he told me, his other friends were able to sponsor their Asian wives and he is sure that they are not making $37,000 a year! The other guy even sponsored his wife and his daughter. =( Sir, in your opinion, is everything going to work out for us? =(

Thank you so much.