+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

koala18

Star Member
Jan 16, 2012
CharlieD10 said:
1) Include pics that show the passage of time, and with you together in different settings with friends and family. You need a sample, not all 500.

2) Again, a sample of wedding pics. Definitely need the marriage certificate.

3) Again, a sample over time, such as 2-3 months out of each year.

4) Sounds good, you have a lot of evidence. Letters from family members who support the relationship are always good, they don't need to be elaborate or notarized, as you will be married.

If she's coming to wait out the processing in Canada, absolutely DO NOT USE THE WORD "MOVE". She is visiting. If at all possible, you pick her up, drive her across and do the talking. Pay the fees upfront, and keep the receipt handy with you. She should pack the minimum necessary, and proof of finances would be good to have too.
Hi Charlie, just an additional question here.What if i'm getting married in Canada, what do I say to the Immigration folks in Toronto? Can I say that I'm getting married or shall I just say that we're visiting my boyfriend? I'll be with my mom at that time, btw. Thanks!!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
koala18 said:
Hi Charlie, just an additional question here.What if i'm getting married in Canada, what do I say to the Immigration folks in Toronto? Can I say that I'm getting married or shall I just say that we're visiting my boyfriend? I'll be with my mom at that time, btw. Thanks!!
Don't give them any more information than requested. You are visiting.

dragonele

Feb 26, 2012
computergeek said:
Your spouse may go to any designated medical practitioner (DMP) on the list. Nothing requires that the DMP be in the country processing the outland application. The DMP will provide your spouse with a copy of the IMM1017EFC form. That form has a unique serial number on it.

Regardless of where your spouse has it done, the results are sent to Ottawa. The medical officers in Ottawa evaluate the results and create the computer encoding of the information. That unique serial number is how the visa office matches up the medical officers' evaluation of your spouse's health results with the application.
Thank you. We live in Italy and no where near Rome but that would be the closest place to go. I just thought there would be an easier way. If I don't include the medical form in the application and then he does the medical when we go to Edmonton in August, would that be an option? Or would he just be refused?
I also just called the doctor who does them in Rome...it's going to cost 250 euro for the exam. Then we have to add flight and hotel to that. Yikes!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
dragonele said:
Thank you. We live in Italy and no where near Rome but that would be the closest place to go. I just thought there would be an easier way. If I don't include the medical form in the application and then he does the medical when we go to Edmonton in August, would that be an option? Or would he just be refused?
I also just called the doctor who does them in Rome...it's going to cost 250 euro for the exam. Then we have to add flight and hotel to that. Yikes!
If you submit now, at some point the visa office will ask you for his medicals and provide you with a specific time frame in which to provide them. If that is before your visit to Edmonton, then you would need to make additional arrangements. It would also slow down processing of the application.

So you could submit now, expecting it will reach the visa office in early May. If they ask for medicals I'd expect them to give you 60 days or so to submit them - so as long as they don't ask before July 1, you'd likely win and can do them in Edmonton in August. If they ask before that, you'd have to go to the DMP in Rome. So, it sounds like a gamble, but one in which you're likely to win, albeit at the cost of longer processing time on your application.

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks CanadianCitizen

I really appreciate the letter you sent me unfortunately for some reason I cannot respond to it.... I would like to correspond further with you to find out some more information.... I made my email visible if you would like to send me an email... so I may answer you...

thanks again

mfanous007

Sep 2, 2011
I am a US citizen studying in Canada (visa expires this april) I am getting married today to my Canadian born fiance of 4 years =), we both thought that it would be pretty cool to get married on Leap day. I just found out that after today I have to wait three months to get an official marriage certificate. My first question is do we have to wait for that before submitting all of the sponsorship and immigration paperwork?

We were planning on getting married earlier but long story short, she went to turkey for vacation and got married (her and her friend were just being young and stupid) but we got the divorce finalized in turkey, the court papers translated, and all the paperwork sent and returned from thunderbay for the authorization to get our marriage licence. My second question is on the sponsor questionare IMM5540E, it asks for the length of relationship, date of separation, and date of divorce, she was only there for a couple weeks, should we put those dates for the length and separation?

and i think my final question, on the gen application IMM0008, question 3 has a spot for UCI, and i have no idea what that is?

thanks again for all this help!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
mfanous007 said:
I am a US citizen studying in Canada (visa expires this april) I am getting married today to my Canadian born fiance of 4 years =), we both thought that it would be pretty cool to get married on Leap day. I just found out that after today I have to wait three months to get an official marriage certificate. My first question is do we have to wait for that before submitting all of the sponsorship and immigration paperwork?

We were planning on getting married earlier but long story short, she went to turkey for vacation and got married (her and her friend were just being young and stupid) but we got the divorce finalized in turkey, the court papers translated, and all the paperwork sent and returned from thunderbay for the authorization to get our marriage licence. My second question is on the sponsor questionare IMM5540E, it asks for the length of relationship, date of separation, and date of divorce, she was only there for a couple weeks, should we put those dates for the length and separation?

and i think my final question, on the gen application IMM0008, question 3 has a spot for UCI, and i have no idea what that is?

1) You must have your marriage certificate to apply as spouses, there is a way to have it expedited, ask around, others have gotten theirs sooner than 12 weeks.

2) No. Length of relationship is how long she was actually with her former spouse, the date of separation has to be whenever that relationship ended by her separating in fact, not on paper. The date of divorce is the date on the papers.

3) You should have a client number from your previous visa application. That is your Universal Client Identification or UCI.

c_farah

Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2013
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2013
LANDED..........
07-10-2013
mfanous007 said:

the 3 month thing worried me, too, so I looked into it

www dot ontario.ca/en/life_events/married/004444.html#certificate
(note that the "dot" is actually a . I can't post links)

you can get it as quickly as 2 days if needed

vet25

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2011
AOR Received.
25-11-2011
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
31-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 27/04/2012
LANDED..........
Hi everyone,

Can someone please confirm with me that the police certificates are only required from countries in which we have lived for 6 CONSECUTIVE months or longer right? (as stated on the CIC website)? and not from countries we have lived for more than 6 months total?

My partner just received an email from the London VO requesting RPRF (yay!) and an extra police certificate from where we studied, however, the longest we were ever there at any time was 4 and a half months (since we were students, we weren't allowed to stay any longer)

If anyone can ease my mind I would greatly appreciate it!
Cheers :)

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
vet25 said:
Hi everyone,

Can someone please confirm with me that the police certificates are only required from countries in which we have lived for 6 CONSECUTIVE months or longer right? (as stated on the CIC website)? and not from countries we have lived for more than 6 months total?

My partner just received an email from the London VO requesting RPRF (yay!) and an extra police certificate from where we studied, however, the longest we were ever there at any time was 4 and a half months (since we were students, we weren't allowed to stay any longer)

If anyone can ease my mind I would greatly appreciate it!
Cheers :)
No, it is NOT "6 consecutive months", it is "6 months or more". Since you spent more than 6 months total in that country, they are asking you to submit a police certificate for that country.

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
My marriage certificate is in Chinese because we were married in Taiwan. Do I submit the Chinese marriage certificate or do I need to get it Translated first? Thanks!

soon2bskinny

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zmikers said:
My marriage certificate is in Chinese because we were married in Taiwan. Do I submit the Chinese marriage certificate or do I need to get it Translated first? Thanks!
hi ...yes the sponsorship guide says all legal documents must be translated in English.

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
Thanks for your quick response, but I was digging through some legal papers and found the English certificate. My wife, how smart she is, ordered an English copy the day we signed the papers :-* ;)

weary-damsil31

Star Member
Feb 8, 2011
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2012
Med's Done....
April 28,2012
LANDED..........
July 10/14
Hello Everyone!

I posted about my situation last year...(got pregnant by my canadian bf last year) I finally had my divorce last month and now gathering all the documents required for the spousal sponsorship..

I just have to ask anyone especially filipinos... I have a daughter in the Philippines (9yrs old.) which has been taken care by my parents since i left abroad. I have known that 1 of the requirements in getting her passport which is a must which is the presence of her father who is in the Philippines.Unfortunately my ex doens't want to cooperate,he even doesn't want to sign the written agreement of the right to full costudy which was made by the lawyer. I talked to him many times but he isn't convinced at all. He made our lives mesirable when he left us and now after 5 yrs he just showed up and takes some visitations to my daughter..

Should i be having problem if i wont be including her to my application?Because according to the guide for the sponsorship,if there is an issue concerning the child costudy then its better not to include her in the application... i know i would break her heart when she knows that she couldnt come here at all and it is already making me mesirable and i couldnt sleep at night..Pls anyone who has any suggestions/advice that might help me would be greatly appreciated..I am really losing my hope.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
weary-damsil31 said:
Should i be having problem if i wont be including her to my application?Because according to the guide for the sponsorship,if there is an issue concerning the child costudy then its better not to include her in the application... i know i would break her heart when she knows that she couldnt come here at all and it is already making me mesirable and i couldnt sleep at night..Pls anyone who has any suggestions/advice that might help me would be greatly appreciated..I am really losing my hope.
You must include her in your application but you can include her as not accompanying. She would still need to have medicals and then the door is open to sponsor her later. If you include her as accompanying but can not get her passport or show full custody, it will complicate your application because her PR visa will be held up.

Once you have the custody issues cleared up, you can sponsor her for PR and she can join you in Canada.