+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

sonusweetie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
So .......Submitted on May 7th (inland) and waiting. Fingers crossed.

Questions ...

1. The first AOR we receive, that is the AOR for the PA, correct?
2. PA wants to apply for OWP. Went on canada.ca and tried to understand what to do, it's a little confusing... If I understand correctly, after receiving the first AOR and application number, PA can create a new application, apply for Spousal OWP using this AOR, and then link this SOWP application to the Spousal PR application - is that how it works?
3. PA has an existing Closed WP (work environment getting increasingly toxic - best that PA moves off Closed WP soon) and due to IRCC's recent policies, PA has a visitor visa stamp valid for over 5 years and not the work permit stamp like how it used to happen ages ago. So if PA's OWP is approved, they won't have to re-apply for a stamp and they can still re-enter, correct?

Prince5

Star Member
Dec 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anybody knows, on average, how long does it take to process the COPR after a passport request? Thanks

Fasih Khan

Star Member
Dec 12, 2021
I need guidance, I am landing in Canada as PR next month and will be getting married next year in March.
I am engaged right now and not officially married. Ircc doesn't consider engagement as a change in status.
My question is what things should I keep in mind to apply for a sponsorship when I get married next year. I find it a bit difficult to go through all the document checklist as it is a bit stressful to fill these forms.
And do I need to have a minimum income before I get eligible to apply for spousal application?

maurelo23

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
Hello guys,

Me (the sponsor), I applied for spouse (common law in Canada), received the AOR on May 18th to my email but she never got anything, and when I try to apply for my spouse open work permit I see the following on the IRCC website:
  • "The AOR must be for your permanent resident application. You can’t use the AOR your sponsor received when they applied to sponsor you."
All I have is an email with an AOR sent to my email, but my spouse which is the principal applicant she never received the AOR/email, nothing!.
Please help, what should I do? is this normal? we were supposed to get the same email with the AOR but I'm the only one who has received it.

Help please.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I need guidance, I am landing in Canada as PR next month and will be getting married next year in March.
I am engaged right now and not officially married. Ircc doesn't consider engagement as a change in status.
My question is what things should I keep in mind to apply for a sponsorship when I get married next year. I find it a bit difficult to go through all the document checklist as it is a bit stressful to fill these forms.
And do I need to have a minimum income before I get eligible to apply for spousal application?
- There is no minimum income to apply.
- As a PR, you must be living in Canada at the time you submit the application to sponsor your spouse and must continue to live in Canada primarily while the application is being processed. Avoid long absences from Canada.
- If you find the paperwork stressful, then you may be best off hiring an immigration lawyer to assist you. It's very important that your application be complete and accurate when submitted.

RavJas

Jun 2, 2021
Absolutely ridiculous that the IRCC still has not provided a final decision on our file. How on earth does it take months to do a bloody security check or verify someone's eligibility; which apparently is all that is left before we are issued PR cards. They had the bulk of our info. Aug 2022, were sent additional items requested late Nov. 2023. Three separate offices have looked at our info, and still we wait. Fed up with this incompetent nonsense, especially when there are no red flags with our file.
Same here from June 2022. still no final decision.

Aurora9

Jan 16, 2019
Hello,
I have a question of im1344. On the very top of the form, Part 1 number 1, ask "If you are found ineligible to sponsor, indicate whether you want to".
If sponsor is not eligible how it can be proceed??
what you guys checked?

Go123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2021
Hello,

What can I expect next after submitting Passport to the VFS?

Received PPR and submitted at the VFS yesterday and got the tracking number too.

Do they print visa and provide eCOPR at the same time?

Thanks

sonusweetie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
We had submitted on May 7th, Sponsor received AOR today along with an application number. PA hasn't received anything yet ..... we thought that the PA is also supposed to get an AOR or some kind of update acknowledging their application is received by IRCC... is something missing still? We're trying to link to MyCIC and confused what to do next . Please help!!

Shiva91

Apr 26, 2019
We had submitted on May 7th, Sponsor received AOR today along with an application number. PA hasn't received anything yet ..... we thought that the PA is also supposed to get an AOR or some kind of update acknowledging their application is received by IRCC... is something missing still? We're trying to link to MyCIC and confused what to do next . Please help!!
I never heard about sponsor getting aor !!
That aor you received is for principal applicant.
Once you receive that aor wait for 24 - 48 hours and you would be able to link your application

vic123d

May 29, 2024
hello ,
,what about that person who became permanent resident along with their spouse. example: husband went to canada on work permit , then he applied for his permanent residency and also mentioned the name of his spouse on PR application. then they both got pr at same time. now spouse moved to canada and after sometime they got divorced. so now they want to sponsor someone else after marrying them. will sponsorship bar apply in this case?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
hello ,
,what about that person who became permanent resident along with their spouse. example: husband went to canada on work permit , then he applied for his permanent residency and also mentioned the name of his spouse on PR application. then they both got pr at same time. now spouse moved to canada and after sometime they got divorced. so now they want to sponsor someone else after marrying them. will sponsorship bar apply in this case?
No.