+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

sh19

Jul 8, 2011
sh19 said:
Hi,

I am on my PGWP (post graduate work permit) till 2014 and i just got married in Jan 2012 back in my country. My wife is in Australia and she is working there. I wanted her to come and stay with me in Canada.

I am working here as Manager in a restaurant.

What is best option to get her here?

Can i sponsor her or she needs to come on tourist visa else she can file an OWP (open work permit).

Thanks and waiting for advice.

Seniors please advice....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sh19 said:
Seniors please advice....
As your wife, she can apply for an open work permit based on your permit as long as you get a letter from your employer stating your position so it can be clarified that it is skilled.

Phlcan

Feb 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would they need to show proofs that they've been living together for at least 12 continuous months?
I conclude their application requirements would be just like any other ordinary common-law partners' ?

sh19

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks Leon,

Yes i can get letter from my employer stating my position is skilled. Would she or me need to show strong financial background/ other documents.

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sh19 said:
Yes i can get letter from my employer stating my position is skilled. Would she or me need to show strong financial background/ other documents.
A copy of your work permit, letter from the employer and proof that you are married. Apart from that, especially if she is not visa exempt to Canada, she may have to show that she is not planning on overstaying, ties to home country etc.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Phlcan said:
Would they need to show proofs that they've been living together for at least 12 continuous months?
I conclude their application requirements would be just like any other ordinary common-law partners' ?
Yes, they would have to show that they have been living together at least that long.

sh19

Jul 8, 2011
she is from India but working in Australia, what ties she could show to home country.

Just my and her family background would be good enough or do we need something else to prove.

thanks

Kurdistan-kazhal

Mar 25, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara/damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
december 2010
File Transfer...
Feb 7 2011
Med's Request
2010/ & JAN 2012
Interview........
March, 21, 2012
Passport Req..
Feb, 18, 2013
Hi there Leon,
i have a question my husband recently went for his interview and was told to expect an answer within two month...can you or anyone else on this threat tell me if this is normal or not....thunx

lucky rain

Oct 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
19-12-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Passport Req..
28-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2012
LANDED..........
02-06-2012
Kurdistan-kazhal said:
Hi there Leon,
i have a question my husband recently went for his interview and was told to expect an answer within two month...can you or anyone else on this threat tell me if this is normal or not....thunx
It is normal

mattrox10

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2012
Doc's Request.
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
25-07-2012
File Transfer...
08-08-2012
Med's Done....
07-04-2012
Passport Req..
28-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2013
I am sponsering my husband from the US. How do I get the police check and what do I specifically need.

Lasiar

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
Doc's Request.
02-22-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2011
File Transfer...
11-15-2011
Med's Request
medical extension 07-06-12 request sent by VO
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 16-08-12
Hi quick question, I was wondering if the fact my husband (us citizen) is a retired navy man, have any effect on the processing time our our application? He was stationed in various place through out the us and also on board naval ships for long periods of time, but never lived in any other country. Does this have any bearing on process time. our file is currently in Detroit. Thanks for any info.

darookie

Star Member
Jan 3, 2012
Hi leon and to all, please help me with my questions..

I got married in the philippines to a Filipino canadian citizen and she sponsored me to Canada. We have a daughter but unfortunately we got separated last 2009. Iam now a Canadian citizen and had file separated since 2010 in my tax returns. Im now living with somebody for almost 2 years now but we're afraid to file common law since Im still married to my first wife and she doesn't want to file divorce.

my questions are:

can i be in a common law status while im still married to my first wife? ( marriage took place in the philippines)

can i sponsor my common law partner for her to be a permanent resident? (partner is a live in caregiver and already submitted her PR application but its taking so long)

can my ex wife sue me for having a common law partner even if we are already separated for 3 years now? (ex wife decided the split up and have someone else)

can me and my current partner have a child? (legal matters concerning us)

PLEASE HELP ME!! thanks in advance
me and my partner have proofs to show that we are common law. apartment lease, bank statements etc.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
darookie said:
I got married in the philippines to a Filipino canadian citizen and she sponsored me to Canada. We have a daughter but unfortunately we got separated last 2009. Iam now a Canadian citizen and had file separated since 2010 in my tax returns. Im now living with somebody for almost 2 years now but we're afraid to file common law since Im still married to my first wife and she doesn't want to file divorce.

my questions are:

can i be in a common law status while im still married to my first wife? ( marriage took place in the philippines)
Yes, technically you can. As I understand it, it requires a breakdown in your previous relationship. If you have been separated for 3 years that would qualify.

I'm curious: do YOU want a divorce? Just because your spouse does not is not an impediment to you obtaining a divorce in Canada. You already have the one year separation, so you could file for divorce and even if you spouse does not WANT the divorce, it's immaterial - there's a demonstrated breakdown in the relationship.

darookie said:
can i sponsor my common law partner for her to be a permanent resident? (partner is a live in caregiver and already submitted her PR application but its taking so long)
When did you obtain permanent residency? There is this new five-year bar for sponsorship (and I'm fuzzy on the details, but I believe it applies to all new sponsorship applications.)

darookie said:
can my ex wife sue me for having a common law partner even if we are already separated for 3 years now? (ex wife decided the split up and have someone else)
Well, technically she could sue you for any reason, but in your case the only thing for which she could reasonably sue would be divorce, which you've said she doesn't want. And with a year separation behind you, she couldn't argue anything other than irreconciliable breakdown.

darookie said:
can me and my current partner have a child? (legal matters concerning us)
Legally, yes. Marriage is not an issue with respect to procreation from a legal perspective.

rhenanjay

Jan 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can my wife sponsor me even if he got no permanent position in her job? she works as a casual employee in two different institution... do u think it would be an issue on her approval as sponsor?