+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
For example, I know an American electrician who obtained a job offer from an Alberta employer with an open LMO and at that point it basically worked the same way as for a NAFTA category job - job offer, copy of the open LMO, pictures, application and fee - and you have your work permit. Their application is still in process last I heard, but they are together and he's working.
Hi there, could you explain what you mean by an open LMO? LMOs are generally employer-specific, occupation-specific and work location-specific. So I'm confused about what you're referring to here?

TylerMozingo

Mar 28, 2012
To begin with:

1: My visitor visa has been expired 19 days from today (expired march 9th, 2012 but was allowed to stay til march 23rd, 2012 due to an already planned trip)

My girlfriend and I are planning to get married very soon, after getting married in the US would i be able to travel back to Canada with her and be able to cross over with my visa being expired? If not how long before i may travel back to Canada with her and what is the fastest way that is recommended? Please please please someone help me im trying to get back to her as fast as possible :/

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amira_mais said:
Hi there, could you explain what you mean by an open LMO? LMOs are generally employer-specific, occupation-specific and work location-specific. So I'm confused about what you're referring to here?
An employer may get an employer-specific, occupation-specific and work location-specific LMO without a name on it, say he hasn't found the employee yet. He might even get more than one. Then when he finds the people, the process of putting a name on the LMO is faster than applying for a brand new one. Somebody who falls under NAFTA doesn't need an LMO but he needs a job offer. An open LMO could probably act as a job offer.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TylerMozingo said:
To begin with:

1: My visitor visa has been expired 19 days from today (expired march 9th, 2012 but was allowed to stay til march 23rd, 2012 due to an already planned trip)

My girlfriend and I are planning to get married very soon, after getting married in the US would i be able to travel back to Canada with her and be able to cross over with my visa being expired? If not how long before i may travel back to Canada with her and what is the fastest way that is recommended? Please please please someone help me im trying to get back to her as fast as possible :/

Thanks
Are you visa exempt to Canada or no? If you are visa exempt, you can always attempt to enter. It is up to immigration if they feel you have been overstaying your welcome or not but the rule of thumb is that you are not living in Canada as a visitor for more than 6 months a year. If you enter with your wife and state on entry that she is planning on sponsoring you, they will most likely let you enter and possibly even give you a visitor record to stay for one year.

If you are not visa exempt, you will have to apply for a visit visa in a Canadian embassy and they will decide if they allow it or not.

TylerMozingo

Mar 28, 2012
Leon said:
Are you visa exempt to Canada or no? If you are visa exempt, you can always attempt to enter. It is up to immigration if they feel you have been overstaying your welcome or not but the rule of thumb is that you are not living in Canada as a visitor for more than 6 months a year. If you enter with your wife and state on entry that she is planning on sponsoring you, they will most likely let you enter and possibly even give you a visitor record to stay for one year.

If you are not visa exempt, you will have to apply for a visit visa in a Canadian embassy and they will decide if they allow it or not.
How would i know if i was visa exempt?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TylerMozingo said:
How would i know if i was visa exempt?
If do not need a visa to visit Canada, then you are visa exempt. See list of countries here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions

TylerMozingo

Mar 28, 2012
TylerMozingo said:
I'm from the United States of America so does that mean i can enter Canada even though my visitor visa is expired?? And since ill be married while trying to enter would that make it easier?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TylerMozingo said:
I'm from the United States of America so does that mean i can enter Canada even though my visitor visa is expired??
It means you are visa exempt so you do not have to particularly apply for a visa to enter Canada. However, you also bear the responsibility not to overstay your welcome. If you leave and they let you come back, it usually means you are ok for another 6 months but they don't have to allow you back if they feel that you are a risk to overstay.

However, if you marry a Canadian and you two show up at the border together and state that you are entering Canada and your wife is going to sponsor you for permanent residency, they will generally allow you to enter and you can even ask for a visitor record which means they can allow you to stay longer, for example a year instead of 6 months.

IndianOcean

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 August 2011
File Transfer...
08 October 2011
Med's Done....
07 August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17 February 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23 February 2012
LANDED..........
18 March 2012
Hi Leon
I just landed almost 2 weeks ago, the immigration officer in the airport told me the PR card will arrive in 6-8 weeks.
Thing is, my dad just passed away and I really need to travel. Is there something they could do? I read somewhere that sometimes they give like an emergency travel document??

thanks in advance.

Josephs

Star Member
Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 October 2011
AOR Received.
18 January 2012
File Transfer...
04 January 2012
Med's Done....
27 February 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08 May 2012
VISA ISSUED...
14 May 2012
LANDED..........
11 November 2012
IndianOcean said:
Hi Leon
I just landed almost 2 weeks ago, the immigration officer in the airport told me the PR card will arrive in 6-8 weeks.
Thing is, my dad just passed away and I really need to travel. Is there something they could do? I read somewhere that sometimes they give like an emergency travel document??

thanks in advance.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll find a way to attend the funeral. Accept my condolence.

IndianOcean

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 August 2011
File Transfer...
08 October 2011
Med's Done....
07 August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17 February 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23 February 2012
LANDED..........
18 March 2012
Josephs said:
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll find a way to attend the funeral. Accept my condolence.
thanks josephs!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
IndianOcean said:
Hi Leon

thanks in advance.
Apply at the local consulate when you return home for a "permanent resident travel permit". Essentially they will confirm you were "landed" and the document will enable you to re-enter Canada.

Condolences on your loss.

IndianOcean

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 August 2011
File Transfer...
08 October 2011
Med's Done....
07 August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17 February 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23 February 2012
LANDED..........
18 March 2012
CharlieD10 said:
Apply at the local consulate when you return home for a "permanent resident travel permit". Essentially they will confirm you were "landed" and the document will enable you to re-enter Canada.

Condolences on your loss.
Thanks Charlie! Thing is, I`m not traveling back to my home country, I`m going to Italy. So I don`t know really who I should contact to get information.
I don`t wait either to travel and not being able to re-enter.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
IndianOcean said:
Thanks Charlie! Thing is, I`m not traveling back to my home country, I`m going to Italy. So I don`t know really who I should contact to get information.
I don`t wait either to travel and not being able to re-enter.
It should be at the local consulate wherever you go to. Here is the checklist for the application: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp