+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Hello

I just got my landing appointment for inland spousal in 2 weeks. My husband (sponsor) is too stubborn to change his address on his ID since it still has his old address. Can we bring bills instead which has our present address for proof?

fanvandjetkan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
AOR Received.
03-04-2019
File Transfer...
29-07-2019
Med's Request
30-04-2019
If you have TRV yes you can travel. But it is does not guarantee you entry...Officers at the POE can still deny you entry (if they have a reason to do so). You are advised not to make long trips outside Canada while your inland PR application is being processed.
Do you have any experience travelling while waiting for your application to be processed? I am going on a trip with my spouse very soon, for one week, and I was hoping someone had experience with travelling while waiting... I understand no one can make any guarantees, it all depends on the officers at the POE, but I would like to know what to expect. I don't have TRV since it's not required for me, I have an eTA.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Do you have any experience travelling while waiting for your application to be processed? I am going on a trip with my spouse very soon, for one week, and I was hoping someone had experience with travelling while waiting... I understand no one can make any guarantees, it all depends on the officers at the POE, but I would like to know what to expect. I don't have TRV since it's not required for me, I have an eTA.
I have not traveled yet...expecting to travel this summer for a week and half. My cousin traveled while PR application is in process, she had OWP. She did not have any problems coming back. But we still have to keep in mind that experiences differ, we don't know who we'll meet at POE and what they will ask/decide. I have read in this forum about people who left for short trips and did not have any problems coming back. I have not come across any that were denied entry yet.

fanvandjetkan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
AOR Received.
03-04-2019
File Transfer...
29-07-2019
Med's Request
30-04-2019
I have not traveled yet...expecting to travel this summer for a week and half. My cousin traveled while PR application is in process, she had OWP. She did not have any problems coming back. But we still have to keep in mind that experiences differ, we don't know who we'll meet at POE and what they will ask/decide. I have read in this forum about people who left for short trips and did not have any problems coming back. I have not come across any that were denied entry yet.
Amazing!
I just spoke to the IRCC on the phone (which is a miracle, I've been trying to reach them for weeks with no luck) and the lady confirmed everything that has been discussed. It's all up to the POE and what they decide. Bringing the forms and receipt of payment will definitely help, and being honest about your purpose in Canada. I can't really imagine them not letting someone back into the country if you only leave for a short trip with your spouse, and have all (valid) documents that prove you are awaiting PR status. Breaking up a couple like that at the airport seems unlikely, but we'll see. Fingers crossed...

I am leaving the 16th of March and I'll be back on the 27th, I will let you know how it goes :)

Reactions: Eveslm

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Amazing!
I just spoke to the IRCC on the phone (which is a miracle, I've been trying to reach them for weeks with no luck) and the lady confirmed everything that has been discussed. It's all up to the POE and what they decide. Bringing the forms and receipt of payment will definitely help, and being honest about your purpose in Canada. I can't really imagine them not letting someone back into the country if you only leave for a short trip with your spouse, and have all (valid) documents that prove you are awaiting PR status. Breaking up a couple like that at the airport seems unlikely, but we'll see. Fingers crossed...

I am leaving the 16th of March and I'll be back on the 27th, I will let you know how it goes :)
Yes you should carry all documents that will help you prove that you have applied for PR. May be have a copy o your marriage certificate as well. All the best :)

Andre1

Feb 21, 2019
So you are in the situation that you want to sponsor your foreign spouse for permanent residency of Canada and don't know where to start. Here are some tips:

Married, common law or conjugal partners

First you need to pick an application class. There are three of them: married, common-law and conjugal. For all of them, you need to prove the genuineity of your relationship. For common-law, you need to prove that you have lived together for 12 months or longer. For conjugal, you need to prove that you have combined your affairs as much as possible but there are real immigration barriers or other barriers preventing you from living together or getting married. Conjugal is the hardest to prove. For example, if your partner could get a visit visa to come to Canada for 6 months and then apply for an extension to get the full year, even though they will not be allowed to work, that is not considered an immigration barrier. An immigration barrier is if your partner tries to get a visit visa to come to Canada and is repeatedly refused. Some people have had luck with the conjugal class but try to avoid it if possible.

Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office. If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want. Otherwise it will be processed in their country of nationality. You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

If your spouse is staying in Canada as a visitor or on some other visa, you can pick whether you want to apply outland or inland. Outland is generally faster and has appeal rights but a downside to outland is that if an interview is required, your spouse will have to travel to the visa office in the country where it's being processed. Inland has the downside that it's generally not advised that your spouse travels while you are waiting for your processing because it is a requirement of inland that they reside in Canada and if they are denied entry at the border for some reason, your application is gone. If an interview is required for inland, you may also have to wait a long time for it. The inland application would be sent to Vegreville and if all goes well, you would get a first stage approval, usually in 6 to 8 months. The current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#perm_res Then the file is forwarded to your local CIC office where you live and they will contact you for a landing appointment. Getting the PR with inland usually takes 12-18 months. If an interview is required for inland, Vegreville will not give first stage approval but instead will forward the application to the local CIC office without it and you will have to wait for them to have time for your interview. In some cases that can take a year or two. If you do get the first stage approval, your spouse will usually be eligible for health care and an open work permit. It is actually a good idea when applying inland to send an application form for a visit visa extension as well as the open work permit to be given at first stage approval all in one package so it's tied together.

Which method to pick depends on your situation. If your spouses country of nationality has a long processing time or your spouse does not want to have to travel there for a possible interview, then inland is the way to go. For faster processing and freedom of travel during the processing time, outland would be better. You can find the application forms for inland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp and the application forms for outland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Avoiding potential problems with your application

The most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine. It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing. Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.

Dependent children

If your spouse has dependent children, they must be included in the PR application, even if they are not coming to Canada. They will need to have medicals as well to keep the option open to sponsor them later. The only way that immigration will accept the application without those medicals is if the children are no longer minors and refuse to have it or if the children are in the full custody of their other parent who refuses to make them available for medicals. In that case, your spouse needs to sign a statement stating that they know that they will never be able to sponsor these children to Canada in the future.

Dependent children are classified as single and either under 22 years of age or if they are older, they must have been full time students since before age 22 or dependent on their parent due to a disability or medical problem.

Refusals due to income and medicals

You will be asked to provide information about your income but you will not be denied to sponsor your spouse and dependent children because you do not make enough money. It is possible though that if you make absolutely no money at all that immigration may ask you how you plan to support yourselves.

Spouses and dependent children are also exempt from the clause about excessive demand on health care so you do not have to worry about them being refused for that reason.

Sponsoring your spouse while living in another country

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency. Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc.

If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused.

switzerland123

Aug 20, 2017
Hi, i have one problem. I am applying for my husband and he is not having birth certificate. In that case what would be the alternative option please help me..!! Any help is appreciated.

fanvandjetkan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
AOR Received.
03-04-2019
File Transfer...
29-07-2019
Med's Request
30-04-2019
I got an e-mail from the IRCC with all the details, if anyone is interested I can forward it.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Leaving Canada during processing to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner in Canada

After mailing the application, it is recommended that the sponsored person remains in Canada until the application is approved. If they choose to leave Canada, an officer will need to ask them questions to ensure they meet all requirements before allowing them to re-enter Canada and avoid having their application considered as abandoned due to their absence.

If the sponsored person plans to travel outside Canada during the application process, or if they have not been allowed to return to Canada after leaving the country:

• They should consider submitting an Application to sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child outside Canada to the Case Processing Centre,
    • if a sponsorship application from inside Canada was already submitted, a request to withdraw that application should be sent and approved by the CPC in Mississauga before a new application is submitted.
Should you require more information on sponsoring a spouse or common-law partner, please visit our website. “

and there’s a lot more information

Hina-Imran

Dec 5, 2018
Hello

I had sponsored my husband in January 2018,unfortunately nothing happend until I got the MP involved. So I received a call from the MP’s office 2 weeks ago saying that my Application has been approved. I was asked to send the passport (I also received the request for passport in my online account), The embassy received my passport last Monday, but the online status has not been changed and it still says that the application is in process and they need additional documentation. Can you please tell me if this is normal and how long will it take to get the passport back?.

Thank you

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I got an e-mail from the IRCC with all the details, if anyone is interested I can forward it.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Leaving Canada during processing to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner in Canada

After mailing the application, it is recommended that the sponsored person remains in Canada until the application is approved. If they choose to leave Canada, an officer will need to ask them questions to ensure they meet all requirements before allowing them to re-enter Canada and avoid having their application considered as abandoned due to their absence.

If the sponsored person plans to travel outside Canada during the application process, or if they have not been allowed to return to Canada after leaving the country:

• They should consider submitting an Application to sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child outside Canada to the Case Processing Centre,
    • if a sponsorship application from inside Canada was already submitted, a request to withdraw that application should be sent and approved by the CPC in Mississauga before a new application is submitted.
Should you require more information on sponsoring a spouse or common-law partner, please visit our website. “

and there’s a lot more information
None of this is new information, though. It's all available on the site.

Reactions: Qwertypod

fanvandjetkan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
AOR Received.
03-04-2019
File Transfer...
29-07-2019
Med's Request
30-04-2019
None of this is new information, though. It's all available on the site.
But for some reason it’s a very common question and since the answer is still super vague, people look for all the confirmation they can get.
Maybe it’s not useful to you, but it sure is useful to me and I hope to others. Yes you can find everything on the website, but it’s a lot easier to have all the specific information you are looking for in one (small) document.

I don’t know why some people on this forum are so dismissive, we’re all going through something exciting and sometimes nerve wrecking here, some support and kindness of others would be nice. Maybe you have no trouble finding the information you need, but some people might.

Reactions: mel406

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
But for some reason it’s a very common question and since the answer is still super vague, people look for all the confirmation they can get.
Maybe it’s not useful to you, but it sure is useful to me and I hope to others. Yes you can find everything on the website, but it’s a lot easier to have all the specific information you are looking for in one (small) document.

I don’t know why some people on this forum are so dismissive, we’re all going through something exciting and sometimes nerve wrecking here, some support and kindness of others would be nice. Maybe you have no trouble finding the information you need, but some people might.
It's not dismissive, and it's not vague. The issue is that no one can tell you whether CBSA will let you re enter or not, and that's the risk there. Of course, pending you meet admissibility requirements they absolutely should, but that by all means does not mean they will. There's no definite yes or no here because it truly does depend on the officer you encounter that day. Many inland applicants successfully take short trips. Yes, people keep looking for confirmation, but they won't find it. It's one of those entirely situational scenarios.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
But for some reason it’s a very common question and since the answer is still super vague, people look for all the confirmation they can get...
It's not dismissive, and it's not vague. The issue is that no one can tell you whether CBSA will let you re enter or not, and that's the risk there. Of course, pending you meet admissibility requirements they absolutely should, but that by all means does not mean they will. There's no definite yes or no here because it truly does depend on the officer you encounter that day. Many inland applicants successfully take short trips. Yes, people keep looking for confirmation, but they won't find it. It's one of those entirely situational scenarios.
Yes, very true. There is no definitive yes or no and the risk is there. Please don't take IRCC words as means of guarantee. CBSA is a complete different government agency. Things should happen may NOT happen and it is your responsibility to judge the risk and take the consequence.

Reactions: kcward7

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I agree. This question is posted almost every day and people keep looking for that guarantee that they'll be let in or steps to take in order to be let in, and no one can here can give that. And since there's always that small chance of coming across an officer that's having a really bad day, the advice tends to be, "You will probably be let in, but there's a chance you won't, so don't travel unless you have to or are willing to take that risk."

I personally like to play it safe and I had zero plans to go anywhere during the processing, despite having a clean travel record and being from the EU. Other people plan on taking multiple (ultimately unnecessary) trips during processing and they do go and they end up being fine. But there's no guarantee whatsoever.

Reactions: ryester and kcward7

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
I agree. This question is posted almost every day and people keep looking for that guarantee that they'll be let in or steps to take in order to be let in, and no one can here can give that. And since there's always that small chance of coming across an officer that's having a really bad day, the advice tends to be, "You will probably be let in, but there's a chance you won't, so don't travel unless you have to or are willing to take that risk."

I personally like to play it safe and I had zero plans to go anywhere during the processing, despite having a clean travel record and being from the EU. Other people plan on taking multiple (ultimately unnecessary) trips during processing and they do go and they end up being fine. But there's no guarantee whatsoever.
You know people only want to listen to what they like to hear and they are looking for some sort of guarantee here:D

Last edited:
Reactions: kcward7