OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice please. I am 38 and live in England. My fiance is a Canadian (living in Ontario). We met online about 8 years ago. I have been to Canada 5 times now to see him, taking my son on one occasion. My 10 year old son is from my previous relationship. I have a good relationship with my ex and he and my son are very close and as things are, my son doesn't want to leave the UK as he'll miss his dad. His dad is fully accepting of him going as he understands he would have better prospects in Canada.

At my present my fiance and I aren't married and it will take us a while to save for the wedding and i understand spousal sponsorship is taking about 17 months so we are probably looking at at least 4 years before we could actually emigrate. I have explained to my son how things change and that he has many great chances and prospects in Canada. But of course he is 10 and doesn't understand.
I considered other forms of entry (I am in final years of a degree in health and social care and have experience in elderly mental health care) and was wondering what my best course of action is? Will my age be a factor if we can't apply for spousal or any other form of visa in the coming years? Would my sons reluctance to emigrate count if we went for conjugal over spousal or would they not see that as a valid reason?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OhCanada77 said:
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice please. I am 38 and live in England. My fiance is a Canadian (living in Ontario). We met online about 8 years ago. I have been to Canada 5 times now to see him, taking my son on one occasion. My 10 year old son is from my previous relationship. I have a good relationship with my ex and he and my son are very close and as things are, my son doesn't want to leave the UK as he'll miss his dad. His dad is fully accepting of him going as he understands he would have better prospects in Canada.

At my present my fiance and I aren't married and it will take us a while to save for the wedding and i understand spousal sponsorship is taking about 17 months so we are probably looking at at least 4 years before we could actually emigrate. I have explained to my son how things change and that he has many great chances and prospects in Canada. But of course he is 10 and doesn't understand.
I considered other forms of entry (I am in final years of a degree in health and social care and have experience in elderly mental health care) and was wondering what my best course of action is? Will my age be a factor if we can't apply for spousal or any other form of visa in the coming years? Would my sons reluctance to emigrate count if we went for conjugal over spousal or would they not see that as a valid reason?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
You don't qualify for conjugal. Your only options are spousal (marriage) or common law (you would need to live together for one year continuously first to qualify). Your son does not have to immigrate with you - although he will have to pass a medical. He can be flagged as a non-accompanying dependent and remain in the UK. If you aren't ready to go the common law or marriage route - then you'll have to explore Canada's economic immigration streams to see what it takes to qualify to apply (this is most likely going to be a harder route than spousal/common law). You can find this information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You don't qualify for conjugal. Your only options are spousal (marriage) or common law (you would need to live together for one year continuously first to qualify). Your son does not have to immigrate with you - although he will have to pass a medical. He can be flagged as a non-accompanying dependent and remain in the UK. If you aren't ready to go the common law or marriage route - then you'll have to explore Canada's economic immigration streams to see what it takes to qualify to apply (this is most likely going to be a harder route than spousal/common law)
Thanks Scylla, i'm not going anywhere without him! Where he goes, I go :) We've been engaged for a year so the marriage is on the cards in the end. Thanks for the help

ohhhhcanada

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
11-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2016
Can anyone tell me why, some Family Class Sponsorship application have "IELTS Requested" by CIC after the application is submitted. It is not in the check list....

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
The International English language testing system (IELTS)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ohhhhcanada said:
Can anyone tell me why, some Family Class Sponsorship application have "IELTS Requested" by CIC after the application is submitted. It is not in the check list....
Where did you read this? IELTS is never requested for family class sponsorships.

ohhhhcanada

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
11-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2016
Page 42 of the MAY 2016 - OUTLAND SPOUSAL APPLICANTS - user badpusacat

ohhhhcanada

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
11-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2016
scylla said:
Where did you read this? IELTS is never requested for family class sponsorships.
And thanks, I thought so and I just wanted to be sure....

ohhhhcanada

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
11-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2016
scylla said:
Also page 39 of that same discussion, user ananyaram

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
IELTS not requested for spousal sponsorship , because the forms are used for other immigration streams , the question is there if you have done IELTS .

ohhhhcanada

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
11-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2016
TANMEX said:
IELTS not requested for spousal sponsorship , because the forms are used for other immigration streams , the question is there if you have done IELTS .
The question says:
Check Yes or No to indicate if you have taken a test from a designated testing agency to assess your proficiency in English or French.

We put yes, as my husband did a English test while he was studying there. But not the IELTS. Just a English test to assess his language skills....

Hope they dont think is the IELTS and ask for... :(

ohhhhcanada

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
11-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2016
ohhhhcanada said:
The question says:
Check Yes or No to indicate if you have taken a test from a designated testing agency to assess your proficiency in English or French.

We put yes, as my husband did a English test while he was studying there. But not the IELTS. Just a English test to assess his language skills....

There: Australia...sorry

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ohhhhcanada said:
The question says:

Don't worry , it's not a big issue , if they ask for it tell them about the test and that's it .

ohhhhcanada

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
11-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2016
TANMEX said:
Don't worry , it's not a big issue , if they ask for it tell them about the test and that's it .
Lets hope they don't....
Any day is a precious day when we have our documents there....
Thanks TANMEX!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ohhhhcanada said:
Lets hope they don't....
Any day is a precious day when we have our documents there....
Thanks TANMEX!
as mentioned in the May thread, you are misreading the poster's stats. those stats are reflective of an application from 2014 (read the dates). it is not reflective of the current SPOUSAL application. IELTS is not requested for spousal.