+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

LAKEWOOD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
IF someone could help me with my situation that would be great.
I got my permanent residency last December of 2013. Me and my partner became a common law partner last March 4, 2014 (that is one year of living together since March of 2013. we have lots of evidences, insurance beneficiaries and joint accounts)

Now i am applying him in spousal sponsorship under common law.

Question : am i qualified to apply him in spousal sponsorship under common law? I didn't declare him during the processing of my application as permanent resident, because during that time we don't have one year yet of living together as a common law partner when i became a permanent resident?

Thanks

Faolchu

Star Member
Aug 3, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2015
I'm currently on an International experience Canada visa which expires in June 2016,Can i apply for PR through sponsorship from my Common in law Canadian girlfriend before this visa expires,also I have a job and if I apply through sponsorship from my CIL partner can i still work during the application process?
Thank you

Larsen

Aug 24, 2014
Hello Leon, I am residing now since 2010, got married to my Canadian wife 2013, submitted my PR application Aug 2013 as we were residing outland as the time, now we are back in Canada so I am scheduled for an Interview in Trinidad next month. My application is very straight forward, or so I think, anyhow I am a pessimist. Anyhow, my question is, what would happen if my PR application is denied. Does that mean I would not be allowed to re-enter Canada? :(

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
LAKEWOOD said:
IF someone could help me with my situation that would be great.
I got my permanent residency last December of 2013. Me and my partner became a common law partner last March 4, 2014 (that is one year of living together since March of 2013. we have lots of evidences, insurance beneficiaries and joint accounts)

Now i am applying him in spousal sponsorship under common law.

Question : am i qualified to apply him in spousal sponsorship under common law? I didn't declare him during the processing of my application as permanent resident, because during that time we don't have one year yet of living together as a common law partner when i became a permanent resident?

Thanks
Yes you are okay! You weren't common law in December when you landed since your year of living together didn't finish until March 2014.

LAKEWOOD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
tink23 said:
Yes you are okay! You weren't common law in December when you landed since your year of living together didn't finish until March 2014.
Thank you so much Tink23, now we are relieved.

We're sending our application package tomorrow.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Faolchu said:
I'm currently on an International experience Canada visa which expires in June 2016,Can i apply for PR through sponsorship from my Common in law Canadian girlfriend before this visa expires,also I have a job and if I apply through sponsorship from my CIL partner can i still work during the application process?
Thank you
Yes - you can certainly apply for PR provided the two of you have lived together for a minimum of one full year. Working holiday visas cannot be extended. This means they don't benefit from implied status and you can't keep working just because you've submitted a sponsorship application. If you want to keep working after the expiry of your work permit, your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA and then you'll need to obtain a closed work permit.

LAKEWOOD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
One more question; Where to send the open work permit application? is it thru

1.) Mississauga, Ontario together with the spousal application or

2.)Open work permit in Vegreville and spousal in Mississauga.(separate sending)

Thanks.

ad rasheed

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
hi all,

i am applying for my wife's sponsorship, she is a Pakistani citizen, but lives here with me in US on TD visa. any idea to whom i have to write a letter of explanation why i am not providing "print out form C"? and does any one have a sample of it plz share.and is there any other way of getting police certificate because it is taking 1 month if we post to FBI address provided on website.

Faolchu

Star Member
Aug 3, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2015
scylla said:
Yes - you can certainly apply for PR provided the two of you have lived together for a minimum of one full year. Working holiday visas cannot be extended. This means they don't benefit from implied status and you can't keep working just because you've submitted a sponsorship application. If you want to keep working after the expiry of your work permit, your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA and then you'll need to obtain a closed work permit.
How long will the process take for PR under sponsorship?I doubt my employer will sponsor me under LMA

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
LAKEWOOD said:
One more question; Where to send the open work permit application? is it thru

1.) Mississauga, Ontario together with the spousal application or

2.)Open work permit in Vegreville and spousal in Mississauga.(separate sending)

Thanks.
Are you applying inland? OWP is only for inland. You send it to Mississauga with the PR sponsorship. They will then send it along to Vegreville where it needs to go.

MK88

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Dec-2013
Doc's Request.
11-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
07-Jan-2014
File Transfer...
15-Jan-2014
Med's Request
15-Jan-2015
Med's Done....
16-Jan-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-Jan-2015 ~Submitted 02-Mar-2015~
VISA ISSUED...
04-Mar-2015
LANDED..........
March 2015
I would like to ask 3 questions on behalf of my friend and would appreciate fast answers :

1) Is there any obligation for me to remain in the country i applied through until my case is completed for canadian immigration?
2) If I travel to another country for the span of 5-6 months, will it affect my case in any way?
3) As my current visa is a "student visa", once I return to the country i applied through the company will be assigning me a professional pass, which I am planning to stay on until my immigration work is completed for Canada. But is it that compulsory or can i also visit back on visitors pass for my immigration purpose if they tend to call me in sooner than i intend to return?

Thank you!!!

LAKEWOOD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
tink23 said:
Are you applying inland? OWP is only for inland. You send it to Mississauga with the PR sponsorship. They will then send it along to Vegreville where it needs to go.
Yes i am applying inland, thank you so much for the information, this forum helps me a lot , great work guys.

Thank you so much

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
MK88 said:
I would like to ask 3 questions on behalf of my friend and would appreciate fast answers :

1) Is there any obligation for me to remain in the country i applied through until my case is completed for canadian immigration?
2) If I travel to another country for the span of 5-6 months, will it affect my case in any way?
3) As my current visa is a "student visa", once I return to the country i applied through the company will be assigning me a professional pass, which I am planning to stay on until my immigration work is completed for Canada. But is it that compulsory or can i also visit back on visitors pass for my immigration purpose if they tend to call me in sooner than i intend to return?

Thank you!!!
1. You can travel and go elsewhere. Usually correspondence go through email anyway, however, make sure there is someone there to get mail, just in case.
2. It shouldn't. However, I do know if you're in any country for 6 months or more, they require a police check for, so I don't know if they would want one from a country you were in for that span of time occurring after the application was sent.
3. I'm not sure what you're talking about here. You're allowed to visit places though.

cruiser34

Aug 27, 2014
Hi. My question is iam in canada at the moment under tourist visa. I got married a month ago and i and my wife are preparing for application for pr and owp. Pr application forms are almost done. My questions are based more on owp. First i fail to complete the form i am not currently working so i cant leave that part of the form blank because i can validate the form. Second question as i read the cic website tha mailing adress for pr application and owp are diffirent. So if i want to apply for same time for both application how its going to work? how are they gonna match both application?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
cruiser34 said:
Hi. My question is iam in canada at the moment under tourist visa. I got married a month ago and i and my wife are preparing for application for pr and owp. Pr application forms are almost done. My questions are based more on owp. First i fail to complete the form i am not currently working so i cant leave that part of the form blank because i can validate the form. Second question as i read the cic website tha mailing adress for pr application and owp are diffirent. So if i want to apply for same time for both application how its going to work? how are they gonna match both application?
You send the OWP and pr sponsorship to the same Mississauga address. Once they check all the papers for completion they will send the OWP to Vegreville.