+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship with Criminal Rehabilitation

pooky73

Jan 31, 2024
Hello!

I am sponsoring my husband for permanent residency but he has a criminal record in the USA, he currently lives in the DR. I am submitting the criminal rehabilitation application at the same time as the permanent residency application. Anyone else been through this process or is currently going through this process? I would appreciate any feedback that pertains to this situation.

TIA!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First question is an obvious one:
How much time has passed since he completed his sentence?

pooky73

Jan 31, 2024
First question is an obvious one:
How much time has passed since he completed his sentence?
Over 10 years, more than one charge so cannot be deemed rehabilitated, and none of the charges would have equated to a 10 year or more sentence in Canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Over 10 years, more than one charge so cannot be deemed rehabilitated, and none of the charges would have equated to a 10 year or more sentence in Canada.
Not sure that I would suggest submitting the Spousal Sponsorship application along with the rehabilitation application; why incur the added expense unless/until you get an answer on the criminal rehabilitation, first?

Have you seen this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5312-rehabilitation-persons-inadmissible-canada-past-criminal-activity.html#5312E5

If you were convicted for two (2) or more offences outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would constitute summary conviction offences:

• You are deemed rehabilitated: at least five (5) years after the sentences imposed were served or to be served.
  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation: not applicable.
---
So, since there are more than one conviction and they do NOT equate to a charge that would mean 10 years in jail and it's been more than 10 years since he completed his sentence(s)...why is he not deemed to be rehabilitated?

pooky73

Jan 31, 2024
Not sure that I would suggest submitting the Spousal Sponsorship application along with the rehabilitation application; why incur the added expense unless/until you get an answer on the criminal rehabilitation, first?

Have you seen this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5312-rehabilitation-persons-inadmissible-canada-past-criminal-activity.html#5312E5

If you were convicted for two (2) or more offences outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would constitute summary conviction offences:

• You are deemed rehabilitated: at least five (5) years after the sentences imposed were served or to be served.
  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation: not applicable.
---
So, since there are more than one conviction and they do NOT equate to a charge that would mean 10 years in jail and it's been more than 10 years since he completed his sentence(s)...why is he not deemed to be rehabilitated?
I don’t know if I read it wrong or they had written it wrong and have since corrected it, lol (page was updated December 1, 2023). I had looked into this issue last summer and on and off since then.
Thank you so much for this info, which I had read but misread I guess, lol!
I will just go ahead and submit the PR application then!

pooky73

Jan 31, 2024
This is where I got the confusion from I think:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/overcome-criminal-convictions/deemed-rehabilitation.html

Self-assessment for deemed rehabilitation
You are eligible to apply for deemed rehabilitation at a port of entry if:
  • you only had one conviction in total or committed only one crime
  • at least ten years have passed since you completed all sentences (payment of all fees, jail time completed, restitution paid, etc.)
  • the crime you committed is not considered a serious crime in Canada AND
  • the crime did not involve any serious property damage, physical harm to any person, or any type of weapon.
A request for deemed rehabilitation is not guaranteed to be approved.”

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This is where I got the confusion from I think:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/overcome-criminal-convictions/deemed-rehabilitation.html

Self-assessment for deemed rehabilitation
You are eligible to apply for deemed rehabilitation at a port of entry if:
  • you only had one conviction in total or committed only one crime
  • at least ten years have passed since you completed all sentences (payment of all fees, jail time completed, restitution paid, etc.)
  • the crime you committed is not considered a serious crime in Canada AND
  • the crime did not involve any serious property damage, physical harm to any person, or any type of weapon.
A request for deemed rehabilitation is not guaranteed to be approved.”
May be what you read is about what can be done at a port of entry. Vs apply in other ways.

pooky73

Jan 31, 2024
May be what you read is about what can be done at a port of entry. Vs apply in other ways.
Yes, I think you are right. I am going to apply for the permanent residency without applying for the criminal rehabilitation. I will update this post as I progress with my application, so others can learn.

Margotte

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
02-02-2021
Yes, I think you are right. I am going to apply for the permanent residency without applying for the criminal rehabilitation. I will update this post as I progress with my application, so others can learn.
Hi Pooky73
May I ask how did you apply for the court documents from USA? My boyfriend is gathering documents to apply for CR but we can’t find information about it online. The charges are from about 15 years ago, we consulted a lawyer but he wants a fortune to try to find the files and it’s not even guaranteed that he can find them.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

pooky73

Jan 31, 2024

SarekaD

Feb 12, 2024
Hi everyone I need some advice.
I was successful with PNP and got my ITA. I am submitting my PR application right now but my unaccompanying spouse is inadmissible due to an 8 year old dui. He is currently seeking rehabilitation legally with his lawyer. Can my PR application be refused due to this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone I need some advice.
I was successful with PNP and got my ITA. I am submitting my PR application right now but my unaccompanying spouse is inadmissible due to an 8 year old dui. He is currently seeking rehabilitation legally with his lawyer. Can my PR application be refused due to this?
Your spouse has to be admissible for your application to be approved.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is there any legal way I can get around it perhaps with a lawyer?
Not that I'm aware of. However you should certainly get a consult with a Canadian immigration lawyer.

Hopefully your spouse has already submitted the rehab application. If not, he should do that asap.