+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship While Sponsor is Studying

JeZul

Jan 6, 2024
Hi!

My wife and I are both university students. We have been living together for over a year, and we got married a couple of months ago. We are planning to apply for spousal sponsorship. I am not currently working, so I'm being supported by my parents, scholarships, and student loans. Her mother is supporting her. We were wondering if there would be any problem with me (the sponsor) not being employed. We were planning to state that she does not require my financial support, as her mother is capable of supporting her until we graduate from university. Would this situation be a problem?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi!

My wife and I are both university students. We have been living together for over a year, and we got married a couple of months ago. We are planning to apply for spousal sponsorship. I am not currently working, so I'm being supported by my parents, scholarships, and student loans. Her mother is supporting her. We were wondering if there would be any problem with me (the sponsor) not being employed. We were planning to state that she does not require my financial support, as her mother is capable of supporting her until we graduate from university. Would this situation be a problem?
Assume you’ve already notified CRA that you are common law. Do you both have proof that you have been living in the home for a year starting with the beginning of the 1 year period. For example shared lease, bills with date and address dating back to beginning of the 1 year period and throughout, school registration records both saying same address with dates whenever they are sent, etc. How much school do you have left to finish?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Assume you’ve already notified CRA that you are common law. Do you both have proof that you have been living in the home for a year starting with the beginning of the 1 year period. For example shared lease, bills with date and address dating back to beginning of the 1 year period and throughout, school registration records both saying same address with dates whenever they are sent, etc. How much school do you have left to finish?
OP got married.

Reactions: armoured

JeZul

Jan 6, 2024
Hi! We got married last October, but we have proof of living together since september 2022.

We both have 2 years of school left to graduate.

Thanks!