Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi,
I have become a PR few months back. I am planning to get married next month. In CIC website it is written that if I am getting social assistance I cant apply for my spouse as a sponsor. Is Pharmacare benefit considered as social assistance? Can I sponsor my spouse while on Pharmacare program?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I have become a PR few months back. I am planning to get married next month. In CIC website it is written that if I am getting social assistance I cant apply for my spouse as a sponsor. Is Pharmacare benefit considered as social assistance? Can I sponsor my spouse while on Pharmacare program?
Pharmacare is an income assistance program. So I believe it would be classified as a social assistance program. Hopefully someone from Manitoba can confirm...

limonade

Jul 20, 2018
Pharmacare is an income assistance program. So I believe it would be classified as a social assistance program. Hopefully someone from Manitoba can confirm...
In BC all residents register with pharmacare, most insurance plans require it as pharmacare is a benefit that everyone is able to receive. I have 3rd party benefits and am still required to register and they cover anything my private benefits don't cover or any additional overages that medical wont cover. The costs/benefit rates are income variable but everyone still pays in/out and is required to have a deductible. I would not consider it social assistance and did not mark it as such in my case.

Unforgiveniiii

Dec 6, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
In BC all residents register with pharmacare, most insurance plans require it as pharmacare is a benefit that everyone is able to receive. I have 3rd party benefits and am still required to register and they cover anything my private benefits don't cover or any additional overages that medical wont cover. The costs/benefit rates are income variable but everyone still pays in/out and is required to have a deductible. I would not consider it social assistance and did not mark it as such in my case.
Thank you sir for your response. I also think the same. I do not have any option other than including the Pharmacare, as my 3rd party insurance will require pharmacare before they pay the deductible. I also need to pay 2500 CAD as deductible per year based on my income in 2016.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
BC Pharmacare is not social assistance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you sir for your response. I also think the same. I do not have any option other than including the Pharmacare, as my 3rd party insurance will require pharmacare before they pay the deductible. I also need to pay 2500 CAD as deductible per year based on my income in 2016.
Just checking that you live in BC not Manitoba.

limonade

Jul 20, 2018
I live in Manitoba. But if its not social assistance in BC, it should not be considered as Social Assistance in MB as well.

Ya that’s not necessarily true. All provinces run their medical differently. I have an example of here in BC how I wouldn’t because of those reasons but I would dig deeper into your own provinces guidelines instead of assuming.

Unforgiveniiii

Dec 6, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Ya that’s not necessarily true. All provinces run their medical differently. I have an example of here in BC how I wouldn’t because of those reasons but I would dig deeper into your own provinces guidelines instead of assuming.
Hi Here is what written in Manitoba Pharmacare website. Can you kindly spare few minutes to check if this is something different than BC pharmacare?
About the Manitoba Pharmacare Program
Changes to Dispensing Fees
Effective Aug. 18, 2017

READ MORE

Pharmacare is a drug benefit program for eligible Manitobans, regardless of disease or age, whose income is seriously affected by high prescription drug costs.

Pharmacare coverage is based on both your total family income and the amount you pay for eligible prescription drugs. The total family income is adjusted to include a spouse and the number of dependents, if applicable.

Each year you are required to pay a portion of the cost of your eligible prescription drugs. This amount is your annual Pharmacare deductible. Pharmacare sets your deductible based on your adjusted family income.

You qualify for the Manitoba Pharmacare program if you meet all of the following criteria:

• You are eligible for Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage.
  • Your prescriptions are not covered by other provincial or federal programs.
Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living
Provincial Drug Programs
300 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 3M9
Phone: 204-786-7141
Toll free: 1-800-297-8099
FAX: 204-786-6634
TTY/TDD Relay Service: 204-774-8618 outside Winnipeg: 711 or 1-800-855-0511
E-mail: pharmacare@gov.mb.ca

Unforgiveniiii

Dec 6, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
I guess, the issue has been resolved. I called Pharmacare Manitoba and they confirmed that this is not considered as a Social Assistance. Its a drug benefit program for Manitobans.

Reactions: faithey

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I guess, the issue has been resolved. I called Pharmacare Manitoba and they confirmed that this is not considered as a Social Assistance. Its a drug benefit program for Manitobans.
What you will have to do is notify Pharmacare Manitoba after you get married so they can likely recalculate your deductible based on family income. They may only recalculate annually.