+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship which consulate for outland application?

kimphilby

Sep 13, 2012
Hi I posted this in one of the larger threads, and was ignored, hope I have better luck this time...

I am an Indian citizen working in Australia, I am getting married to a Canadian citizen living in Canada. We are registering our marriage in India, and then returning to our respective countires for a while.My wife will be sponsoring me via an "outland" application at the missauga center.
my question, is, for the next step, will the application be sent to the canadian consulate in Delhi (my country of nationality) or to Sydney ? I can see from this forum website it says, that this option will be given to my wife when she sponsors me, but at which stage? I don't see it on the sponsorship forms.

Also, does anyone know if the "Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment" that Canadian citizens need to register their marriage in India, is available only from the Delhi Canadian consulate ? Can it be obtained from within Canada, if so where? Or is it available at the Chennai consulate? I believe the Calcutta consulate has closed down..

Thanks in advance

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
kimphilby said:
Hi I posted this in one of the larger threads, and was ignored, hope I have better luck this time...

I am an Indian citizen working in Australia, I am getting married to a Canadian citizen living in Canada. We are registering our marriage in India, and then returning to our respective countires for a while.My wife will be sponsoring me via an "outland" application at the missauga center.
my question, is, for the next step, will the application be sent to the canadian consulate in Delhi (my country of nationality) or to Sydney ? I can see from this forum website it says, that this option will be given to my wife when she sponsors me, but at which stage? I don't see it on the sponsorship forms.

Also, does anyone know if the "Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment" that Canadian citizens need to register their marriage in India, is available only from the Delhi Canadian consulate ? Can it be obtained from within Canada, if so where? Or is it available at the Chennai consulate? I believe the Calcutta consulate has closed down..

Thanks in advance
Hey kimphilby,

in the sponsorship form, you can choose which VO will be processing your application, so you can indicate whether you want your application to be sent to Sydney or New Delhi. You need to have been in Australia for at least 1 year and legally admitted to be able to ask for Sydney as a VO. BUt I suppose that if you are working there, then it's no problem for you.

In terms of timeline, both SYdney and ND are fast VO, so you are in a good position. However, be aware that if you choose ND, you will have to travel there if an interview is required. Also, indian nationals are not allowed to send their passport overseas, so when they request your passport it will be complicated for you ( flying there and remaining there might not be an option for you, as ND requests the passport at the very beginning of the process...).

it's included in the form IMM0008, question 4, see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM0008ENU_2D.pdf

In my opinion it would be best to ask for Sydney as a VO. However, please be aware that CIC can decide to send your application to ND anyway - if they feel that you have more links to India than AUstralia... but in your case, if you live, reside and work in Australia and have been doing so for a while, you should be fine. Sydney is a very fast office and efficient, so you're lucky!

Just make sure that when you do the medicals, you specify the right VO on the form so it doesn't get lost.

AS for your second question - I have no idea, but I suggest you post your question in the New Delhi thread, as you will probably get a quicker answer there. here is the link http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-delhi-2012-applicants-t109821.4800.html

good luck,
Sweden