+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Social Assistance Related

sree2484

Feb 9, 2024
Hello - Query on Sponsorship. I've been here for 6 months without job and have availed social assistance until Feb 2024. Currently i have got a job, and planning to start spousal sponsorship for wife in March 2024. Since the social assistance would stop by this month, would this affect the sponsorship process if i start next month or in the future?

Also, in my case is it better to do an inland application as by the time family comes there is enough evidence to show financial stability (bank statement etc) or outland? What are the timelines nowadays ?

w8ing4visa

Star Member
Nov 15, 2023
Hello - Query on Sponsorship. I've been here for 6 months without job and have availed social assistance until Feb 2024. Currently i have got a job, and planning to start spousal sponsorship for wife in March 2024. Since the social assistance would stop by this month, would this affect the sponsorship process if i start next month or in the future?

Also, in my case is it better to do an inland application as by the time family comes there is enough evidence to show financial stability (bank statement etc) or outland? What are the timelines nowadays ?
What do you mean by Social assistance ? is it you are referring to employment Insurance ? where you lost a job with no fault of yours e.g. laid off ?

sree2484

Feb 9, 2024
Not EI, i'm referring to Welfare received from Ontario Works for food and rent, close to 700CAD per month

sree2484

Feb 9, 2024
Yes, my query is the assistance would stop this month. So if i apply next month, will that have any impact or not? Or shud i wait for more time

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

https://meurrensonimmigration.com/spousal-sponsorship-and-social-assistance/

Section 133(1)(b) of the Regulations provides that a sponsor must intend to fulfill the obligations in the sponsorship undertaking. In Alriyati v. Canada (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship), 2020 FC 496, Justice Pentney determined that it was reasonable for a visa officer to determine that because someone had been on social assistance for a lengthy period, and only stopped receiving social assistance shortly before submitting a spousal sponsorship application, that the person did not have an intention to fulfil the obligations in the sponsorship undertaking.
---

Since you've only been in Canada for 6 months, does that also mean that you were not a PR or Citizen of Canada prior to that?

sree2484

Feb 9, 2024
Yeah i have landed just 6 months before on PR, ie June 2023. So based on the above response, it looks like it would be advisable to wait for a few months to show the financial stability and proofs, and then apply for spousal sponsorship.

w8ing4visa

Star Member
Nov 15, 2023
Yeah i have landed just 6 months before on PR, ie June 2023. So based on the above response, it looks like it would be advisable to wait for a few months to show the financial stability and proofs, and then apply for spousal sponsorship.
If you have doubts wait and then apply!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To me, it's the "for a lengthy period" that stands out in that decision. Your situation is a bit different.

How did you obtain your PR (under which program)?

When did you get married?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nope, hence the spousal sponsorship question
You now have a very big problem.

Since you did not include her, you can never sponsor her. Did you land without disclosing that you were even married? If so...that's another major problem.