+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship Refusal

Hanin24

Jan 31, 2018
I don't really get it. A court ceremony attended by family isn't enough? And why would a honeymoon be mandatory? Many people can't afford them or just don't care or are planning them at a later time, etc.

What country are you from? Did you get married in Canada?
I was shocked by her reaction too,
although I was planning to make a small dinner ceremony and after that will go on a honey moon.. I told her that but she insisted that we are still married and our marriage isn't fully completed ..
Iam from Lebanon, we got married in a cour there

Hanin24

Jan 31, 2018
Can you share the details of the refusal letter? What country are you from?
sure , I got married in a court in Lebanon where I live .
This is the refusal letter :
I have now completed the assessment of your permanent residence application as a member of the family class, the class in which you applied. I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada. Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Paragraph 117(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a sponsor, the foreign national is the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner. Subsection 4(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that for the purposes of these Regulations, a foreign national shall not be considered a spouse, a common-law partner or a conjugal partner of a person if the marriage, common-law partnership or conjugal partnership (a) was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the Act; or (b) is not genuine. Based on the assessment of your information, including your application, the supporting documentation, and the information you provided during the interview, I am not satisfied that your marriage to your sponsor is genuine. More specifically, as explained to you during your interview, I am not satisfied that you are in a genuine husband and wife relationship, as per the local cultural norms and traditions. Therefore, I am not satisfied that you meet R4(1)(b). Subsection 11(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act provides that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the regulations. The visa or document may be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. For the reasons set out above, I am not satisfied that you are not inadmissible and that you meet the requirements of the Act. As such, I am refusing your application.

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
We're you inland or Outland?
sure , I got married in a court in Lebanon where I live .
This is the refusal letter :
I have now completed the assessment of your permanent residence application as a member of the family class, the class in which you applied. I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada. Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Paragraph 117(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a sponsor, the foreign national is the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner. Subsection 4(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that for the purposes of these Regulations, a foreign national shall not be considered a spouse, a common-law partner or a conjugal partner of a person if the marriage, common-law partnership or conjugal partnership (a) was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the Act; or (b) is not genuine. Based on the assessment of your information, including your application, the supporting documentation, and the information you provided during the interview, I am not satisfied that your marriage to your sponsor is genuine. More specifically, as explained to you during your interview, I am not satisfied that you are in a genuine husband and wife relationship, as per the local cultural norms and traditions. Therefore, I am not satisfied that you meet R4(1)(b). Subsection 11(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act provides that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the regulations. The visa or document may be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. For the reasons set out above, I am not satisfied that you are not inadmissible and that you meet the requirements of the Act. As such, I am refusing your application.
what she asked in the interview ❓

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
Sure Ill Copy the refusal letter here if it helps ... :
OK that makes more sense. The CIC does not believe that your relationship is genuine.

You have the option to file an appeal, in which case the burden will be for you to demonstrate that your relationship is genuine, and to give LOTS of documentation showing this: letters, chat logs, pictures taken while you were dating, etc. Letters that clearly state that your family and friends not only "know of your marriage" but that they can vouch for the validity of your relationship as a husband and wife. Perhaps other Lebanese applicants here can tell you if there is more documentation in regards to your marriage that might be to your advantage to get.

Best of luck to you.

Hanin24

Jan 31, 2018
I was shocked by her reaction too,
although I was planning to make a small dinner ceremony and after that will go on a honey moon.. I told her that but she insisted that we are still married and our marriage isn't fully completed ..
Iam from Lebanon, we got married in a cour there
she insisted that we are Still engaged ** and not fully married

Hanin24

Jan 31, 2018
OK that makes more sense. The CIC does not believe that your relationship is genuine.

You have the option to file an appeal, in which case the burden will be for you to demonstrate that your relationship is genuine, and to give LOTS of documentation showing this: letters, chat logs, pictures taken while you were dating, etc. Letters that clearly state that your family and friends not only "know of your marriage" but that they can vouch for the validity of your relationship as a husband and wife. Perhaps other Lebanese applicants here can tell you if there is more documentation in regards to your marriage that might be to your advantage to get.

Best of luck to you.
In fact I printed a lot of chat logs, even I screenshoted video calls between us and printed them.. she didn't even want to see them .. she insisted that we are still engaged and not fully married .... and she told me your relationship looks very genuine( the pictures as the pictures and documents show.. but it looks like a relationship... not a married couple )
I was so confused by her answers
it doesn't make sense at all

Hanin24

Jan 31, 2018
are you muslim ? did you submit photos with you guys being out and all , proof of communications??
Yes we are muslims.. and we showed over a 30 photos off our outings and engagement ceremony and the court ceremony were our parents were there too .

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Sure Ill Copy the refusal letter here if it helps ... :
This is the part that's always bothered me. I myself come from a European country so we've never had any issues with traditions and whatnot, but why do they see it as so important? After all, these people are coming to Canada, a decidedly western and progressive country. Why then, would it be a problem if someone didn't have a super traditional religious whatever ceremony in the country they're not staying in anyway?

Hanin24

Jan 31, 2018
what she asked in the interview ❓
She asked about what we did in our marriage day.. I told her that we went to that court with our families and got married legally. and all our papers are legal.
she asked if we share expenses to gather ( I told here yes we does, it happened when they asked for my medicals and he sent me money to pay )
she asked why my ring is on the right hand (I told her that when we make the dinner ceremony we will change its position to the left hand )
she asked if we live together ( according to our tradition, we cant until we make the dinner ceremony )
At the end she insisted that we are still engaged and not fully married .. I showed her my passport that shows my husbands name on it,.. and our marriage certificate ... she insisted on her point of view

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
She asked about what we did in our marriage day.. I told her that we went to that court with our families and got married legally. and all our papers are legal.
she asked if we share expenses to gather ( I told here yes we does, it happened when they asked for my medicals and he sent me money to pay )
she asked why my ring is on the right hand (I told her that when we make the dinner ceremony we will change its position to the left hand )
she asked if we live together ( according to our tradition, we cant until we make the dinner ceremony )
At the end she insisted that we are still engaged and not fully married .. I showed her my passport that shows my husbands name on it,.. and our marriage certificate ... she insisted on her point of view
Wait a minute. You told her that you can't wear the ring on your left hand and that you can't live together until this other dinner ceremony. I think you yourself indicated you're not married (at least not fully) by doing so. Basically you yourself told her the marriage certificate isn't enough since you're not acting like married spouses until something else happens.

Hanin24

Jan 31, 2018
This is the part that's always bothered me. I myself come from a European country so we've never had any issues with traditions and whatnot, but why do they see it as so important? After all, these people are coming to Canada, a decidedly western and progressive country. Why then, would it be a problem if someone didn't have a super traditional religious whatever ceremony in the country they're not staying in anyway?
We are so depressed right now , it her answers didn't make sense at all... all our papers are legal and said that our relationships looks very genuine from the photos we submitted.

Hanin24

Jan 31, 2018
Wait a minute. You told her that you can't wear the ring on your left hand and that you can't live together until this other dinner ceremony. I think you yourself indicated you're not married (at least not fully) by doing so. Basically you yourself told her the marriage certificate isn't enough since you're not acting like married spouses until something else happens.
its our traditions ... what that matters ?? all of our papers and marriage certificate is legal.. all our family and friends knows that we are officially married . and she admitted that our relationship looks genuine.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
its our traditions ... what that matters ?? all of our papers and marriage certificate is legal.. all our family and friends knows that we are officially married . and she admitted that our relationship looks genuine.
Yeah, but you're not acting like a married couple. You're not living together specifically because the marriage ceremony hasn't been fully completed. Not living together because you're essentially not married in your hearts (despite the legal papers) is a big red flag.

If you ignored tradition and didn't care much about it, that's one thing. You could then live together and do everything else married people do and easily prove it that way. But since it's important to you and you're following these rules and not living with your husband because you haven't been fully married according to what you told the agent, I don't know what to tell you.

I think this is why they advise Muslims in particular to complete all the necessary ceremonies before applying.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I agree, you didn't live together and didn't move your ring because you are waiting for the "complete" of the wedding with the dinner ceremony. So you are setting the dinner ceremony as part of the wedding and it's not completed yet.

It's like you are married only on paper but not physically.