+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship REFUSAL - help!

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
Like several people have suggested just contact your MP - it could end up being a huge help and solving your issue, or at least providing more details to your refusal, helping realizing what you should differently when/if you reapply.

Seriously, just contact your MP and take it from there.

Reactions: rmurray

rmurray

Nov 7, 2017
You don't have to prove cohabitation in a conjugal relationship when you're married. It's a huge difference from the common-law application.

You can hire a marriage commissioner, bring two witnesses, and do a civil marriage. Save money for the big wedding later. Most people do it this way these days so that they can have someone who isn't a government officiant do their wedding.
Ok so if we were married next week say, we don't have to prove our relationship for any length of time? I'm not quite following. I'm also extremely against getting married right now. It feels incredibly unfair when I've met the requirements of common law. I would have sought legal advice or taken some sort of action prior to this refusal, but I never dreamed with all I've provided I'd be refused.

Oh and order your GCMS notes.
Ok, I'll get on this ASAP. I had no idea this option even existed.

I'm going to email my MP today, and then follow up with a phone call if I haven't heard when we're back from our vacation on the 12th.

Thank you so much for everyone that's taken the time to give me advice. This is so overwhelming and stressful.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Ok so if we were married next week say, we don't have to prove our relationship for any length of time? I'm not quite following. I'm also extremely against getting married right now. It feels incredibly unfair when I've met the requirements of common law. I would have sought legal advice or taken some sort of action prior to this refusal, but I never dreamed with all I've provided I'd be refused.

I'm going to email my MP today, and then follow up with a phone call if I haven't heard when we're back from our vacation on the 12th.

Thank you so much for everyone that's taken the time to give me advice. This is so overwhelming and stressful.
Order your GCMS notes and contact your MP before worrying about anything else.

Reactions: Virgo29 and rmurray

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Skip the email. Call and make an appointment to actually go to the MP office with your partner. Write a formal complaint letter about the situation and take copies of all of the proofs you submitted. An MP inquiry can lead to an app being reopened. In your case, I think you have a very good chance.

Reactions: monkeys89

Canucks and Hawks

May 1, 2018
Get as much mail to your joint address as you can find and bank records etc. Showing your home address from back when you applied and before that

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not really sure your vacation to California was ideal given you current lack of status in Canada. You are beyond lucky to be in Alberta or you wouldn't have had healthcare since your private healthcare you purchased during your IEC period expired.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Not really sure your vacation to California was ideal given you current lack of status in Canada. You are beyond lucky to be in Alberta or you wouldn't have had healthcare since your private healthcare you purchased during your IEC period expired.
OP had status as a visitor at the beginning of this year, so it is entirely possible she has maintained her legal status.

I'm not sure why you are referring to health coverage, as it is not relevant to the subject at hand.

Reactions: unsure dream

msb

Jan 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-12-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
AOR Received.
16-12-2016, AOR2 (RPRF req) 04/04/2017
File Transfer...
and SA on 21-12-2016
Med's Request
Was sent upfront
Med's Done....
22-10-2016 and passed, redone 16-11-2017
Interview........
26-10-2017 and approved for PR
Passport Req..
28-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
December 2017
LANDED..........
16-01-2018
They say “at the time you submitted” so if u submit again, they will now see you are really still together for over a year.
Either that
Or get married in court which is
Cheap, and reapply as married instead of common law.
You will get retro active child
care too i know a couple who were in the same situation as you are.

Reactions: rmurray

CitizenSoon

Sep 19, 2018
I believe you did so much effort. MP would help and I recommend that you request the GCMS notes. You may get it in less than a month, hopefully. A friend of mine, who applied for study permit, found in the GCMS that the officer confirmed that university tuition fees were not paid but my friend provided the payment receipt. Moreover, my friend got a job offer from the current employer with a promotion and salary raise after getting the degree, in fact the employer partially fund the studies in Canada, but the officer confirmed that the employer does not offer a promotion. My friend realized that the officer do not see all documents intentionally or unintentionally. I hope this is not the case for you.

I discussed your case with a friend. I got some suggestions for you. You may consider adding the following documents to your application or your coming application.

- Wills listing each other as the beneficiary
- Medical instructions granting decision-making power to the other person (such as a living will)
- If your job provides additional benefits, then the other person listed as your spouse/partner and covered under your benefits plan
- Emergency contact or family contact information at your job

From an immigration consultant,
- Did you submit statements of a joint bank account?
- Did you submit any joint utility bills?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OP had status as a visitor at the beginning of this year, so it is entirely possible she has maintained her legal status.

I'm not sure why you are referring to health coverage, as it is not relevant to the subject at hand.
Luckily she is in Alberta or would be under much more stress due to lack of health coverage during prenatal, delivery, post partum period.

Always a risk when leaving Canada that reentry could be difficult.

Last edited:

rmurray

Nov 7, 2017
Luckily she is in Alberta or would be under much more stress due to lack of health coverage during prenatal, delivery, post partum period.

Always a risk when leaving Canada that reentry could be difficult.
I'm really not sure why you're so hellbent on berating me on something you've no clue about. I was pregnant, had my daughter, and went through my immediate postpartum period while still on IEC, and was under the care of a great midwife.

I also have a temporary open work permit valid until May 2020. So less judgement about anything you've assumed about my situation would great.

rmurray

Nov 7, 2017
I have sent a meeting request to our local MP, and requested my GCMS notes. Thank you everyone for your advice, I'm honestly so grateful this forum exists.

Reactions: CitizenSoon

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I have sent a meeting request to our local MP, and requested my GCMS notes. Thank you everyone for your advice, I'm honestly so grateful this forum exists.
Please update us when there's some movement on your case. A lot of people here I'm sure are hoping you sort this out asap. Fingers crossed!