+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship questions

vancouverite

Feb 7, 2011
Hi Guys,

I will be getting married soon and have some questions relating sponsoring my soon wife to be.

There are a whole lot of locations asking for the “Family Name” of the sponsored person. My wife who will eventually be changing her last name to mine will not have done this while I will be applying for her. In my hope country changing names can take up to month. So I figured I’d apply before to cut down on time.

My question to you all is this:

A. Can I apply for her with her pre-marital last name? (which she will eventually change, maybe when she gets to Canada)
B. Can I apply for her with her pre-marital name and in the mean while she changes her last name (on the passport). Is this allowed?

If this is allowed, how does one inform CIC? Does anyone have any insights into if this slow down the application process?

C. Also does the Police Clearence & Medical conducted for her MUST be in the new last name?

D. In IMM 1344, Section C, # 4. (Non-accompanying family memebers)
Am I supposed to include her parents, brothers and sisters aswell?
What is the definition for a “Family Member”? I presumed after marriage me, her and our children
(don’t have any yet)would be considered family and the rest would be an extended family? Please
correct me if I am wrong, and whether I need to fill that part out aswell.

E. I myself was a landed immigrant at one time (now a citizen). In IMM 5540
Question # 9: Are you a naturalized Canadian or permanent resident?

My answer to that question would be Yes?

The second part of that question asks: On what date did you become a permanent resident?
Now would this be the date I landed in Canada for the first time?
I never left the country until I became a citizen.

Following this is:

Question # 10: Were you yourself sponsored to come to Canada?

My answer again would be yes?

Second part of that question asks when?

I don’t recall the date my parents who applied to emigrate to Canada 15 years ago,
when they filed the papers? Is there a way to retrieve that date?

What type of sponsorship (i.e. spouse, parent, dependant child, other relative was it) ?

I was 12 then and I came to Canada with my parents who emigrated on point basis. Now do I put “dependant child” in here?

F. On IMM 0008 (which my spouse will fill) under “DETAILS OF FAMILY MEMBERS” does she have to include her parents
and siblings? This relates to my question D, who all is considered family? We both have no kids as its the first marriage for both of us.

Thank you anyone who replies to these.

Regards

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
vancouverite said:
Hi Guys,

I will be getting married soon and have some questions relating sponsoring my soon wife to be.

There are a whole lot of locations asking for the “Family Name” of the sponsored person. My wife who will eventually be changing her last name to mine will not have done this while I will be applying for her. In my hope country changing names can take up to month. So I figured I'd apply before to cut down on time.

My question to you all is this:

A. Can I apply for her with her pre-marital last name? (which she will eventually change, maybe when she gets to Canada)
B. Can I apply for her with her pre-marital name and in the mean while she changes her last name (on the passport). Is this allowed? If this is allowed, how does one inform CIC? Does anyone have any insights into if this slow down the application process?
Yes to either. The application forms are to be filled out with the name that is on her passport at the time of application. She can wait until after she gets to Canada to change her name, or change her name on her passport/travel docs while the application is in process and just send a copy of the new passport to the embassy when she gets it back. If she does that, her PR will be issued in her new name, not in her maiden name, and that will avoid the necessity of ordering another PR card when she gets to Canada ($75) And no, it will not slow down the process.

vancouverite said:
C. Also does the Police Clearence & Medical conducted for her MUST be in the new last name?
No, they can be done before the marriage, and/or in her maiden name.
vancouverite said:
D. In IMM 1344, Section C, # 4. (Non-accompanying family memebers)
Am I supposed to include her parents, brothers and sisters as well?
What is the definition for a “Family Member”? I presumed after marriage me, her and our children
(don't have any yet)would be considered family and the rest would be an extended family? Please
correct me if I am wrong, and whether I need to fill that part out as well.
The only family members of a spousal applicant that are eligible to be sponsored would be dependent children. Her parents and siblings are listed on Form 5406 (Additional Family Information) because she may be eligible to sponsor them at some point - but you aren't.
vancouverite said:
E. I myself was a landed immigrant at one time (now a citizen). In IMM 5540
Question # 9: Are you a naturalized Canadian or permanent resident?

My answer to that question would be Yes?

The second part of that question asks: On what date did you become a permanent resident?
Now would this be the date I landed in Canada for the first time?
I never left the country until I became a citizen.
Yes, the date you landed.
vancouverite said:
Following this is:

Question # 10: Were you yourself sponsored to come to Canada?

My answer again would be yes?

Second part of that question asks when?

I don't recall the date my parents who applied to emigrate to Canada 15 years ago,
when they filed the papers? Is there a way to retrieve that date?
Give a date to the best of your recollection, explain in your cover letter that you were a child and not entirely sure when it was.
vancouverite said:
What type of sponsorship (i.e. spouse, parent, dependant child, other relative was it) ?

I was 12 then and I came to Canada with my parents who emigrated on point basis. Now do I put “dependant child” in here?
Yes, you immigrated as their dependent child.

vancouverite said:
F. On IMM 0008 (which my spouse will fill) under “DETAILS OF FAMILY MEMBERS” does she have to include her parents and siblings? This relates to my question D, who all is considered family? We both have no kids as its the first marriage for both of us.
As above, no. Only dependent children (under the age of 22 and not married) from a previous relationship would eligible and needing to be sponsored. If the two of you had children together, they'd be Canadian because you are a citizen.