+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Queries

navdeep300

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Hi Everyone. I have some queries regarding the Picture that we will upload for Spousal Sponsorship. I am a PR and recently got married in India(Last week of November). It was an arranged marriage. We were introduced by a relative and We did a Ring Ceremony event along with party and everything with good amount of guests (Family, Friends and other relatives). Then we had a simple wedding ceremony next Day at Sikh Temple, we did the Sikh Rituals of marriage at Temple and have pictures of that (Family members and only close relatives attended the event). However, we didn't do a wedding reception since we already did the ring ceremony event and spent money on that with more guests and it didn't made sense to do another reception. Another thing was that my Father in Law had a flight to go back to Europe after 4 days of the marriage date, so in that short amount of time we didn't had the time to make all the arrangements for a big wedding event. Also, I am working from home and didn't had any vacations approved until last two weeks of December. I was reading several posts in the Forum where the applicants got interview requests or were asked questions about not having the wedding reception and it's pictures. Right now I am in a bit of confusion whether to apply for the Sponsorship or not. We will do a big reception party for the wedding next year in November or December. I can provide all the other documents necessary for the application except the reception part of the wedding.

1. Does anyone know if missing the reception will cause problems for my wife's application? Do they focus a lot on this even if we provide other proofs to support the application.
2. Is it fine to have engagement ceremony event and a simple wedding next day to that event. Can it cause questions?

I can provide - 1. Roka pictures 2. Engagement Event pictures 3. Wedding rituals Pictures at Sikh Temple with Family from both sides 4. Some trips or places visited after marriage pictures . Are they going to be enough or I should wait for next year to have the wedding reception photos. Please help.

Thanks!!

1996kaur

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Apply for spousal sponsorship when you back to Canada, provide as much as proof you can in your application. Don't worry if marriage is genuine then and you have all the explanation if they ask for, then there should not be any problem. There is no reason to wait for months to apply just because of the reception pictures.

1996kaur

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hi Everyone. I have some queries regarding the Picture that we will upload for Spousal Sponsorship. I am a PR and recently got married in India(Last week of November). It was an arranged marriage. We were introduced by a relative and We did a Ring Ceremony event along with party and everything with good amount of guests (Family, Friends and other relatives). Then we had a simple wedding ceremony next Day at Sikh Temple, we did the Sikh Rituals of marriage at Temple and have pictures of that (Family members and only close relatives attended the event). However, we didn't do a wedding reception since we already did the ring ceremony event and spent money on that with more guests and it didn't made sense to do another reception. Another thing was that my Father in Law had a flight to go back to Europe after 4 days of the marriage date, so in that short amount of time we didn't had the time to make all the arrangements for a big wedding event. Also, I am working from home and didn't had any vacations approved until last two weeks of December. I was reading several posts in the Forum where the applicants got interview requests or were asked questions about not having the wedding reception and it's pictures. Right now I am in a bit of confusion whether to apply for the Sponsorship or not. We will do a big reception party for the wedding next year in November or December. I can provide all the other documents necessary for the application except the reception part of the wedding.

1. Does anyone know if missing the reception will cause problems for my wife's application? Do they focus a lot on this even if we provide other proofs to support the application.
2. Is it fine to have engagement ceremony event and a simple wedding next day to that event. Can it cause questions?

I can provide - 1. Roka pictures 2. Engagement Event pictures 3. Wedding rituals Pictures at Sikh Temple with Family from both sides 4. Some trips or places visited after marriage pictures . Are they going to be enough or I should wait for next year to have the wedding reception photos. Please help.

Thanks!!
Make sure to open a joint bank account to add to your file, honeymoon hotels bills, pictures, her adhaar card updated with your residential address, Gurdwara marriage certificate along with your marriage certificate registration.

navdeep300

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Apply for spousal sponsorship when you back to Canada, provide as much as proof you can in your application. Don't worry if marriage is genuine then and you have all the explanation if they ask for, then there should not be any problem. There is no reason to wait for months to apply just because of the reception pictures.
Thanks you for giving a reply. I have seen people getting rejected because of reception or when IRCC asks for more photographs. Do you know if someone got approved without providing that kind of information?

Thanks!

1996kaur

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Personally I have not seen any case. But IRCC cannot reject the application on the ground basis that you don't have enough reception pictures. As long as relationship is genuine and you have enough proof of communication, photographs, religious wedding certificate and religious wedding photographs and all other proofs. Even in worst case if it happens they reject then you can challenge the decision too. But they just don't reject on this basis only. Before reaching to decision, they ask for explanation or additional documents or interview. Rest is up to you if you want to wait for another year and then apply for sponsorship. Its just my personal opinion.

navdeep300

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Personally I have not seen any case. But IRCC cannot reject the application on the ground basis that you don't have enough reception pictures. As long as relationship is genuine and you have enough proof of communication, photographs, religious wedding certificate and religious wedding photographs and all other proofs. Even in worst case if it happens they reject then you can challenge the decision too. But they just don't reject on this basis only. Before reaching to decision, they ask for explanation or additional documents or interview. Rest is up to you if you want to wait for another year and then apply for sponsorship. Its just my personal opinion.
Thanks you for the info!

abab2022

Aug 18, 2022
IRCC wants to know how strong is your relation and marriage is not a basis for them surely. Since in your case all the events happens to be in very short duration of time. In my personal opinion, its better to revisit your spouse, have a joint bank account (if not deposit money in her account), gift receipts, whatsapp chats and calls screenshots, social media posts about your relationship by adding pictures and announce it on social media. This way it proves your relationship is strong and public. Rest you can hire RCIC consultant who have more experience in these applications. All the best.

Reactions: navdeep300

navdeep300

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
IRCC wants to know how strong is your relation and marriage is not a basis for them surely. Since in your case all the events happens to be in very short duration of time. In my personal opinion, its better to revisit your spouse, have a joint bank account (if not deposit money in her account), gift receipts, whatsapp chats and calls screenshots, social media posts about your relationship by adding pictures and announce it on social media. This way it proves your relationship is strong and public. Rest you can hire RCIC consultant who have more experience in these applications. All the best.
thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks!!
Yes not having a reception but having one next year can certainly be an issue. IRCC is aware that many try and have a quick marriage but then plan on having their “true“ wedding reception later on but want to start the sponsorship process. The fact that you had a large engagement party and no wedding reception is very unusual. If spending money most would have a large wedding reception and a small engagement. Did you an your bride perform all the rituals that go with a Sikh wedding, wear all the ornate wedding garmets (sorry not sure of the names), did you make an entrance on an animal, etc. Did you live together after marriage? How many days did you spend together living as a married couple? Did you have a honeymoon just the 2 of you? Had you met on a previous visit or was this your first time meeting? If this was your first meeting how long between the first meeting and ring ceremony? How long did you spend in India? Has your wedding been announced to all family and friends? Is the fact that you are married on your social media? Some couples do not act like a married couple until after their large reception which would be an issue for IRCC.

navdeep300

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Yes not having a reception but having one next year can certainly be an issue. IRCC is aware that many try and have a quick marriage but then plan on having their “true“ wedding reception later on but want to start the sponsorship process. The fact that you had a large engagement party and no wedding reception is very unusual. If spending money most would have a large wedding reception and a small engagement. Did you an your bride perform all the rituals that go with a Sikh wedding, wear all the ornate wedding garmets (sorry not sure of the names), did you make an entrance on an animal, etc. Did you live together after marriage? How many days did you spend together living as a married couple? Did you have a honeymoon just the 2 of you? Had you met on a previous visit or was this your first time meeting? If this was your first meeting how long between the first meeting and ring ceremony? How long did you spend in India? Has your wedding been announced to all family and friends? Is the fact that you are married on your social media? Some couples do not act like a married couple until after their large reception which would be an issue for IRCC.
Thanks for the reply. I thought the same things you mentioned above because I knew IRCC will ask those all. Yes, we didn't do all of the things you mentioned above. It was only wedding rituals at the Temple. No other ceremony or reception. I have almost made my mind to not sponsor my wife after going back but I will do it after next year when we have a wedding reception and will have more time to visit a lot of places together. However, since we have already registered our marriage, will it create issues when I apply for the sponsorship next year. Will they question why you have marriage registered a year before and are going on a honeymoon and doing remaining rituals after a year?

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015

Thanks!!
First of all congratulations on the marriage. Keep all the records from chat, whatsapp, food bills, pictures, cinema tickets and every thing that prove you are in relationship.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I thought the same things you mentioned above because I knew IRCC will ask those all. Yes, we didn't do all of the things you mentioned above. It was only wedding rituals at the Temple. No other ceremony or reception. I have almost made my mind to not sponsor my wife after going back but I will do it after next year when we have a wedding reception and will have more time to visit a lot of places together. However, since we have already registered our marriage, will it create issues when I apply for the sponsorship next year. Will they question why you have marriage registered a year before and are going on a honeymoon and doing remaining rituals after a year?
By looking at the pictures alone, can you tell that they are engagement and not reception? Are you not sitting together, dancing together, guests on dancefloor, dj , food for guests etc?
I would at least have a honeymoon though. Will help in genuineness of marriage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Applying next year won’t be an issue. It is not uncommon for couples to do exactly what you did thinking that they would be approved. Iwould make sure you keep a record of anything that confirms your relationship over the next year. If you provide financial support, send gifts, save text messages, invoices for engagement party, wedding and reception. IRCC is aware of all the wedding rituals in each religion and culture. Just want to clarify did you actually start living as husband and wife? How many days did you spend together after your wedding living as husband and wife? Were you able to live together or is that being delayed until after your wedding reception next year? How many days did you spend in India for the engagement and marriage? Was the marriage the day after the engagement?Are you publicizing your wedding? Did you post your wedding pictures online, indicate that you are now married on social media, etc.? Did you wear proper wedding attire that would be expected of an arranged Sikh wedding? All these things would determine whether you should wait a year to apply for sponsorship.