+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship - PGWP - OWP

plbaker

Feb 27, 2019
Ontario
Hi there, I'm posting this thread because I can't find anything to answer my question. Hopefully someone will read this and help me out.

My boyfriend is sponsoring me as his common-law.
We are sending our application next week, March 2019.
I currently have a Post-Graduate Work Permit, valid until May 2020.
I saw that the processing time as of now is of 12 months, which will lead me to March 2020 to receive my PR.

In theory, I wouldn't need to apply for an Open Work Permit, but should I? If my application takes longer than 12 months I won't be able to work. And I have a stable job where I have been the general manager for 2 years now. Is it recommended, in my case, to apply for an Open Work Permit just in case or would that be just a hassle for the immigration?

We also have a wedding coming up in November, where one of our best friends is getting married in Mexico. Is it a problem for the both of us to leave Canada for 1 week?

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there, I'm posting this thread because I can't find anything to answer my question. Hopefully someone will read this and help me out.

My boyfriend is sponsoring me as his common-law.
We are sending our application next week, March 2019.
I currently have a Post-Graduate Work Permit, valid until May 2020.
I saw that the processing time as of now is of 12 months, which will lead me to March 2020 to receive my PR.

In theory, I wouldn't need to apply for an Open Work Permit, but should I? If my application takes longer than 12 months I won't be able to work. And I have a stable job where I have been the general manager for 2 years now. Is it recommended, in my case, to apply for an Open Work Permit just in case or would that be just a hassle for the immigration?

We also have a wedding coming up in November, where one of our best friends is getting married in Mexico. Is it a problem for the both of us to leave Canada for 1 week?

Thank you.
Hi

Apply outland. The app should be finished well before your PGWP expires.

plbaker

Feb 27, 2019
Ontario
Hi

Apply outland. The app should be finished well before your PGWP expires.
But to apply outland I need to be outside of Canada, correct? But how would it work with us being common-law? He would have to leave the country with me, no? Sorry, that just baffled me a bit lol

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But to apply outland I need to be outside of Canada, correct? But how would it work with us being common-law? He would have to leave the country with me, no? Sorry, that just baffled me a bit lol
No, you don't. You can apply outland while living in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, I need to re-study everything now. What exactly is the difference between inland and outland then?
The basic difference is that inland is processed at an office in Canada and outland is processed at an office out of Canada. As you don't need an OWP, there is really no advantage for you to apply inland.

plbaker

Feb 27, 2019
Ontario
The basic difference is that inland is processed at an office in Canada and outland is processed at an office out of Canada. As you don't need an OWP, there is really no advantage for you to apply inland.
Ok, that sounds amazing. So, according to the checklist, we'll send our application to Nova Scotia. Will they send it to Brazil, where I'm from? I'm asking this because I was reading about Brits that had their application done in the London office...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, that sounds amazing. So, according to the checklist, we'll send our application to Nova Scotia. Will they send it to Brazil, where I'm from? I'm asking this because I was reading about Brits that had their application done in the London office...
Yes, it will go to Brazil.

plbaker

Feb 27, 2019
Ontario
Yes, it will go to Brazil.
Have you read about any Brazilians doing their application outland? Brazilians are not very well know for their speed...unless for maybe Ayrton Senna, a great racer. Also Brazilians love coming to Canada, I'm assuming the Canadian office has a bunch of different types of applications to go through. Is there a priority to family class in these offices?
The cic website is giving the same 12 months of processing time for living in canada and outside of canada (there is no option for living in canada, apply outland)...
Then again, there's really no disadvantage applying outland from what I can see...just asking questions out of curiosity...

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Have you read about any Brazilians doing their application outland? Brazilians are not very well know for their speed...unless for maybe Ayrton Senna, a great racer. Also Brazilians love coming to Canada, I'm assuming the Canadian office has a bunch of different types of applications to go through. Is there a priority to family class in these offices?
The cic website is giving the same 12 months of processing time for living in canada and outside of canada (there is no option for living in canada, apply outland)...
Then again, there's really no disadvantage applying outland from what I can see...just asking questions out of curiosity...
Yes, many Brazilians apply outland. Historically, Brazil was always a fast office, 6 months average. I don't know what it is recently. There is no priority for Family Class.

Reactions: plbaker