+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Permanent Residency

ChristineQgl

Apr 14, 2024
Hello,
my spouse and I are currently applying for my Permanent Residency.

My Austrian passport still has my maiden name. My BC Health Card as well as my Canadian passport shows my married name.
In the application they are asking for the name in the travel document.

Do you think it is a problem, that I am not using my married name for everything? I guess my PR card will have my maiden name on it then. Does someone have a similar experience?
I unfortunately don't have the time to change my passport before I apply for my PR card, because I'm currently on a work visa in Canada, that ends in August.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My BC Health Card as well as my Canadian passport shows my married name.

... because I'm currently on a work visa in Canada, that ends in August.
These things do not make sense. You can't have a Canadian passport and a work visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Please read before you apply. I am talking about an AUSTRIAN passport.
You post says that your Canadian passport shows your married name. Do you mean your Canadian work permit?

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
my Canadian passport shows my married name.

I guess my PR card will have my maiden name on it then.

I'm currently on a work visa in Canada, that ends in August.
How can you have a Canadian Passport, be applying for a PR card, and you have a working visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you have a Canadian passport, why do you need to apply for a PR?
I think it's a typo and OP meant to say Canadian work permit.

I personally don't know the answer to the maiden name vs. married name question.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My Austrian passport still has my maiden name. My BC Health Card as well as my Canadian passport shows my married name.

Do you think it is a problem, that I am not using my married name for everything? I guess my PR card will have my maiden name on it then. Does someone have a similar experience?
I unfortunately don't have the time to change my passport before I apply for my PR card, because I'm currently on a work visa in Canada, that ends in August.
In general I don't think it will be a big issue (assuming it's all your Canadian docs with married name, and only foreign passport that has the maiden name). You'll want to include a short letter of explanation (eg "I use married name, Austrian passport is not yet updated to reflect this because [reason even if only 'haven't done it yet.']), and a copy of the marriage certificate. I'd also include extra docs/id and perhaps mail received - like from bank - thhat show you using married name.

Note, I doubt this will be a problem for your PR application, but can't guarantee your married name will be reflected on the PR card. I.e. you might later have to change it via a change of name app (eg after you change it in your passport).

Long term, will be easier if you also change your passport to reflect same. When the name in PR card does not correspond to passport, it can be more complicated to travel - and while it may be okay in lots of circumstances, chances are high that sometime, somewhere, an airline agent or passport officer will decide they don't like it.