+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Open Work Permit

Benno2013

May 30, 2013
Hi All,

When filing Spousal Sponsor PR application together with OWP application, is it the IM 5710 'Application To Change Conditions, Extend My Stay Or Remain In Canada As A Worker' form I need to fill out? And If so I am unsure of what box to check in question 3? I am currently employed and want to remain working with the same employer during implied status so do I check box 1?

I was expecting to find a form titled 'Open Work Permit Application'

Any advice appreciated. Have been going around in circles on the CIC website making sure I have the right docs.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Assuming that it is not an OWP that you currently have and is expiring, it is Application to Change Conditions (sorry don't know the IMM#). There is no form titled as such.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Benno2013 said:
Hi All,

When filing Spousal Sponsor PR application together with OWP application, is it the IM 5710 'Application To Change Conditions, Extend My Stay Or Remain In Canada As A Worker' form I need to fill out? And If so I am unsure of what box to check in question 3? I am currently employed and want to remain working with the same employer during implied status so do I check box 1?
Hi Benno

Looking at your previous posts, you're from New Zealand and here on an IEC? Have you looked at applying outland through Sydney instead of inland? Inland is really only better for people who have extremely long wait times in their home country visa offices (i.e. Pakistan, currently at 31 months), need a TRV to enter Canada or can benefit from being able to continue working on Implied Status.

As explained in your other thread, the consensus is that with an IEC visa, you would not be able to work while on Implied Status; people who have continued to work have been told that was illegal by CIC. You won't be able to work until you get the open work permit after stage 1 approval, which is currently taking about 11 months. Compare that with applying outland, straightforward apps average around 7-8 months through Sydney. Plus, with an outland app, you are allowed to leave Canada at any point during the processing; with inland, they recommend not leaving at all for the entire processing time (19 months right now), as you risk having your app cancelled.

If you decide to apply inland, IMM5710 is the correct form. For question 3, it doesn't really matter what you select when applying for an OWP. Across the top of the form, write something like "OWP app with Inland Sponsorship". There is a field further down, under "Details of Intended Work in Canada", question 1, where you select "Open Work Permit". Just understand that if you decide to keep working, there is a very good chance that CIC will consider that illegal, resulting in serious problems for you.