+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship on social assistance

Mar 2, 2020
Hello fellow members,

I am a permanent resident in Canada and I would like to sponsor my husband (who's currently living here in Canada as a visitor) to become a permanent resident.

The only concern I have is my financial condition. I receive social assistance from Ontario Works because of medical condition (NOT disability).

Am I eligible to submit a sponsorship application? If so, how do I go about handling the financial responsibility part.

Please note that my son is a permanent resident in Canada and he's able to support my husband and I financially if that help at all.

Thanks for your help in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello fellow members,

I am a permanent resident in Canada and I would like to sponsor my husband (who's currently living here in Canada as a visitor) to become a permanent resident.

The only concern I have is my financial condition. I receive social assistance from Ontario Works because of medical condition (NOT disability).

Am I eligible to submit a sponsorship application? If so, how do I go about handling the financial responsibility part.

Please note that my son is a permanent resident in Canada and he's able to support my husband and I financially if that help at all.

Thanks for your help in advance!
No - you're not eligible unfortunately.

You must be off social assistance to qualify to sponsor your husband.

Reactions: HumbleBeginnings
Mar 2, 2020
No - you're not eligible unfortunately.

You must be off social assistance to qualify to sponsor your husband.
Thank you for your response.

1) does having social assistance for medical reasons not make an exception?

2) is employment a condition or is showing a certain amount in savings enough to prove financial responsibility?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response.

1) does having social assistance for medical reasons not make an exception?

2) is employment a condition or is showing a certain amount in savings enough to prove financial responsibility?

Thanks!
1) Only if you are actually on disability payments. If you are on regular social assistance, the reason doesn't matter - you cannot sponsor.
2) No need to be employed however you'll want to make sure you're off social assistance for a few months before you apply to sponsor your husband. You will also need to remain off social assistance for year or so it will take for the application to be processed.

Mar 2, 2020
1) Only if you are actually on disability payments. If you are on regular social assistance, the reason doesn't matter - you cannot sponsor.
2) No need to be employed however you'll want to make sure you're off social assistance for a few months before you apply to sponsor your husband. You will also need to remain off social assistance for year or so it will take for the application to be processed.
Got it. Thanks for your help.

Mar 2, 2020
One more question for you @scylla. Could you elaborate on the time between social assistance cancellation and sponsorship application? Is there a set amount of time or is it a precautionary measure?

Say if she cancels tomorrow and submits the sponsorship application a day after. By the time IRCC receives it it'll be 2-3 months from the cancelation date.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One more question for you @scylla. Could you elaborate on the time between social assistance cancellation and sponsorship application? Is there a set amount of time or is it a precautionary measure?

Say if she cancels tomorrow and submits the sponsorship application a day after. By the time IRCC receives it it'll be 2-3 months from the cancelation date.

Thanks!
She should wait 2-3 months before she submits the application to make sure it's registered that she is off social assistance. If she cancels tomorrow and submits the sponsorship application the day after, IRCC will receive the application a few days after that. It doesn't take 2-3 months for the application to be delivered.

She should also plan to remain off social assistance for three years after her husband lands and becomes a PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can’t just remain off social assistance you have to show how you will be able to support yourselves in the longterm. You need to show that you will remain off social assistance.