+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship - Marriage not registered yet in homeland

billiout

Sep 5, 2016
Hello :D

My wife and I we are Greek citizens but she also has a second Canadian citizenship. We have married two months ago in Ottawa. I returned to Greece and I'm now preparing the outland application. We will send the application as soon as the marriage certificate is issued. My problem is that our marriage will be not registered in Greece by the time that we will send the application. My Greek birth certificate does not state that I have a registered spouse. Is there going to be any problem with this, that our marriage is not registered in the principal's applicant country? We will inform the Greek registry office that we are married but because we want to send as soon as possible the application this will take time.

Thank very much

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
The marriage only has to be registered/legal in the country it was performed in (and Canada). Since you got married in Canada, then only Canadian documents to show marriage will matter. How Greece views or recognizes the marriage is completely irrelevant to your application so you don't need to worry.