+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship: Letter of employment

mandv

Sep 6, 2021
Hadn't come across information on this specifically, so I was hoping I could get some insight.

Does anyone know whether the IRCC actually calls employers to confirm employment?
I had to change jobs in the last 2 months, and I still haven't received the Letter of Employment from my current company and I'm getting worried whether I will.
I've been thinking in an effort of sending documents as soon as possible (my spouse came to Canada end of July and we've been waiting for 3 weeks for my employer to sign the Letter of Employment), to list my own (incorporated) (consulting) company and submit the job offer that I received.

What should I do??? Please help!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hadn't come across information on this specifically, so I was hoping I could get some insight.

Does anyone know whether the IRCC actually calls employers to confirm employment?
I had to change jobs in the last 2 months, and I still haven't received the Letter of Employment from my current company and I'm getting worried whether I will.
I've been thinking in an effort of sending documents as soon as possible (my spouse came to Canada end of July and we've been waiting for 3 weeks for my employer to sign the Letter of Employment), to list my own (incorporated) (consulting) company and submit the job offer that I received.

Is this for family sponsorship? Are you or your spouse already a PR and sponsoring the other?

I don't think Letter of employment is on the document check list of inland/outland spousal sponsorship. So if so , you can go ahead and send in the applicaiton without it. There is no minimum income for spousal sponsorship. You can use your NOA or payslips and explain how you can support your spouse in this case. If you are applying via other route, then I do not have the answer. (don't understand why you need a job offer? )

May be you can give some more details on your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured and Swappy

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't think Letter of employment is on the document check list of inland/outland spousal sponsorship. So if so , you can go ahead and send in the applicaiton without it.
Excellent advice. Before stressing out about how to get a document, confirm (twice) that you actually need it.

mandv

Sep 6, 2021
Thanks so much for responding @YVR123!

It's these 2:
  1. Supporting Documents Required for sponsor - Part B, 5) Employment/Source of Income requesting submission of "an original letter from (my) current employer stating.."
  2. IMM 5532e form [Relationship Information & Sponsorship Evaluation], part A, where I had to list my employment history
I was thinking of sending the job offer I received from the current employer but listing my consulting company on the employment history (I could technically be a consultant with a service agreement rather than an employment agreement) in lieu of submitting the Letter of Employment.
Not sure what to do because I would like to send submit the application sooner rather than later and the CEO I'm working for is taking forever to sign the Letter of Employment.

Is this for family sponsorship? Are you or your spouse already a PR and sponsoring the other?

I don't think Letter of employment is on the document check list of inland/outland spousal sponsorship. So if so , you can go ahead and send in the applicaiton without it. There is no minimum income for spousal sponsorship. You can use your NOA or payslips and explain how you can support your spouse in this case. If you are applying via other route, then I do not have the answer. (don't understand why you need a job offer? )

May be you can give some more details on your application.

Zambezi

Star Member
Dec 10, 2018
I don't think Letter of employment is on the document check list of inland/outland spousal sponsorship.
I had to include a Letter of Employment for my Outland sponsorship when I applied back in 2018... I'm pretty sure it's still part of the checklist of required documents even though there is no minimum income threshold for spousal sponsorship.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021

Can you ask for the letter electronically as a PDF? That might be faster.

Since it's part of the checklist, I wouldn't attempt to send an application without it or you could risk delays.

IRCC has the right to call and check. Whether they do or not is up to them. There's no income requirement if you're sponsoring your partner, but IRCC might call to confirm depending on your case and if they need to investigate things for sponsor approval for example.

Reactions: armoured

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks so much for responding @YVR123!

It's these 2:
  1. Supporting Documents Required for sponsor - Part B, 5) Employment/Source of Income requesting submission of "an original letter from (my) current employer stating.."
  2. IMM 5532e form [Relationship Information & Sponsorship Evaluation], part A, where I had to list my employment history
I was thinking of sending the job offer I received from the current employer but listing my consulting company on the employment history (I could technically be a consultant with a service agreement rather than an employment agreement) in lieu of submitting the Letter of Employment.
Not sure what to do because I would like to send submit the application sooner rather than later and the CEO I'm working for is taking forever to sign the Letter of Employment.
In this case, this is on the check list. But I am still a bit confused if you are employed or if you are a consultant providing service to the current "employer". It can only be one or the other. Since you signed the offer letter, I think you are employed. Then you need to push your employer to sign a simple employment letter. It's a pretty normal routine for HR.... sigh...

mandv

Sep 6, 2021
I am employed, except the CEO is a doucheb* and after a month and a half of working for the company, he's questioning my performance (completely unfounded) and has been delaying signing off on the letter. He considers it a bigger formality than it is.
So I don't know what to do.. :(
Is it possible to use the job offer in lieu of the Employment Agreement?
In all honesty, I'd leave the company given the treatment I've received, but was willing to stick it out for sponsorship reasons.

In this case, this is on the check list. But I am still a bit confused if you are employed or if you are a consultant providing service to the current "employer". It can only be one or the other. Since you signed the offer letter, I think you are employed. Then you need to push your employer to sign a simple employment letter. It's a pretty normal routine for HR.... sigh...

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am employed, except the CEO is a doucheb* and after a month and a half of working for the company, he's questioning my performance (completely unfounded) and has been delaying signing off on the letter. He considers it a bigger formality than it is.
In all honesty, I'd leave the company given the treatment I've received, but was willing to stick it out for sponsorship reasons.
If you are still on probation period, it may explain your situration. May be it's worth to not wait and submit with what you have now (offer letter, pay stubs, plus a letter of explination), then start looking for a better job. It's not worth it to stay at a job that you are unhappy because you want to be "employed" during the sponsorship application. If you have enough savings to support you and your spouse, you can include that in the letter of explaination on top of your current employment. Many sponsors do not have a job because they either haven't moved back to Canada or have not yet settle enough to find a job.

Do some searching on the forum and read up those cases.

Reactions: Swappy

keys8014

Feb 4, 2021
Did you sign any contract or forms when the employment started? I guess you can show this to ircc.

Also, you can show paystubs or bank deposit by your company to your bank account.

Reactions: YVR123

mandv

Sep 6, 2021
YVR123, thank you for your message. Honestly, it isn't worth it, I'm burnt out working 12hr days.
I didn't know what I could submit in lieu of the employment agreement, but bank deposits and savings would definitely work.
I have paystubs from the former employer.

I'll have a look on the forum.

My husband and I filled out the application at the beginning of November - do we need to print everything and fill it out again or do can we submit as is? I know there are a number of fields that require "the last 12 months" data.

keys8014, I hadn't signed, that's the problem.
Part of my job was to "open up" the Canadian office, incorporate the company, create employment agreements, etc.
The CEO has been "reviewing" the Employment Agreement and holding off on signing the Letter of Employment for a month now. .. sigh

If you are still on probation period, it may explain your situration. May be it's worth to not wait and submit with what you have now (offer letter, pay stubs, plus a letter of explination), then start looking for a better job. It's not worth it to stay at a job that you are unhappy because you want to be "employed" during the sponsorship application. If you have enough savings to support you and your spouse, you can include that in the letter of explaination on top of your current employment. Many sponsors do not have a job because they either haven't moved back to Canada or have not yet settle enough to find a job.

Do some searching on the forum and read up those cases.

Did you sign any contract or forms when the employment started? I guess you can show this to ircc.

Also, you can show paystubs or bank deposit by your company to your bank account.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
My husband and I filled out the application at the beginning of November - do we need to print everything and fill it out again or do can we submit as is? I know there are a number of fields that require "the last 12 months" data.
Any information that has a time specific request is normally counted from the time you signed the application.

So yes update everything with the new signature date in mind. I would say pick a signature date in the future, a week or two ahead depending on what you have left, and redo all dates making sure the answers make sense based on this future date. Update home addresses, job history, etc.. you name it.

Then sign the application and send it on that day.