+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Inland ; what about open work permit?

Audjgal

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2013
AOR Received.
11-10-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
Hi there everyone,
I was hoping for some help or insight.
Even though I'm a Singaporean that has been married for the last 2 years to a Canadian Citizen,we are just getting down to the paperwork and have a Medical exam Scheduled for next week and all paperwork filled. We always thought since I had a business in Singapore we would move there but have decided to apply here as I am getting tired of flying back and forth every few months, my Canadian husband does not seem to enjoy the tropical heat and my lease is coming due on my Singapore business and I don't feel like paying more in rent. We are having a hard time finding jobs my husband could do as well, he is a Boilermaker by trade.

Should I or can apply for an open work permit at the same time as the permanent residence application?

If no, how long after the permanent residence application goes in, will I be allowed to apply for an open work permit. I've been in Canada 3 months this time and I am crawling up the walls with boredom.
Thanks for any help,
Audrey

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
If you apply Inland, you should include an OWP with your application. It won't be processed until they get to your file, but you will get it eventually.

Just to make sure you're aware: if you apply Inland, you can NOT leave Canada for the duration of the application (currently, somewhere between 14 to 16 months). The positive side of it: as soon as you have an Inland application with an OWP included, you have implied status, so even if your visitor visa expires, you can legally stay in the country.

If you want to retain the ability to travel, you should apply Outland ( but no OWP, and no implied status). You can apply Outland and still be in Canada, it doesn't matter. You will not get an OWP but you can work once the PR application is completed.

The OWP will likely come after the first stage ( currently taking somewhere close to 8 months) for an Inland application, and there is no other option than to wait, unless you can find an employer willing to get an LMO to hire you.

Good luck,
Sweden