+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship inland or outland

artofkaizen

Mar 22, 2014
Hi,
I am Canadian Citizen and been living in the UK for the last 20 years, it is now time to go back to Canada. I am married to a British man and we have 3 kids. the citizenship application for my kids was straight forward but having issues with my husband's PR application. First of all the consulate here in London is evasive in giving advise and keeps saying to refer to their website. The website in my humble opinion is not user friendly.

My question is that I would like to do an outland application but we are moving back in less than 3 months so I don't think they will process in in time. I don't mind to do and inland application but I would like my husband to be able to work whilst his application is being processed.

I will be grateful for any advise on this please.

thanks

agarand8

Aug 21, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
10-06-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014...#2 - 10-06-2014
File Transfer...
22-05-2014
Med's Request
Additional tests requested on 05-06-2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 2014 & August 5th 2014
Interview........
24-FEB-2015
Passport Req..
24-MAR-2015...received at VO 6-APR-2015
Just being honest, you probably should have been applying for his PR a year ago. If he comes to canada there is nothing to guarantee that he'll be able to work, especially if you apply Outland. Even for inland I just read in another thread that you can't get a workers permit until you get AIP which takes 9-10 months.

If you are dead set on your moving date it might make sense financially for your husband to stay behind. Especially if he has family or friends that he can live with. If you don't want to be apart, but you can't survive on a single income then you should postpone your move until your husband gets his PR. It's so difficult to hear that you've made all these plans but the PR app process takes a long time, and you migh have to adjust your plans.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
A common point of confusion: he can apply via the London office even if he is living in Canada. This is a general preference under IRPA (that PR applications are processed outside Canada) with the Inland sponsorship route being an exception to the normal rule. But there is no requirement to use the exception.

The right thing to do is to submit an outland application - and do it ASAP.

Note that he won't be able to work in either case (unless via the normal LMO approach). For Inland, he becomes eligible for an open work permit once first stage approval is granted - but that takes about as long as London typically takes to approve the entire application. The London published time is the 80% time and as long as your application is thorough and complete I'd expect you to be a fast case (no relationship issues), so more like ~6 months (20%) time or perhaps 8 months (50%) time (as published on data.gc.ca).

Visa offices process those applications - but they don't give you advice. Much like Inland Revenue doesn't give you tax advice (certainly not anything you'd wish to rely upon).

Jp flores

Mar 8, 2014
Hi, please hear my story. I got married in the Philippines. And my husband is now in Canada and I am here the Philippines. Is it possible that my husband can file a divorce there in Canada even though we got married here?

If yes, will I be notified by the Canadian court about the divorce proceedings? You see I heard a lot of stories to the effect that Filipinos are getting divorce in Canada and got married again in Canada. I heard that the reason this is commonly done it’s because divorce is cheaper and easier than having an annulment proceedings in the Philippines.
And here's another thing we had a son.we had undergone our medical examination at a panel physician last january.
I didnt know if my husband filed our application.because last month he just told me he wants to divorce me.
Please I really need an answer about this issue. I hope you can clear my mind on these matters. Thank you very much and more power to you! God bless!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Jp flores said:
Hi, please hear my story. I got married in the Philippines. And my husband is now in Canada and I am here the Philippines. Is it possible that my husband can file a divorce there in Canada even though we got married here?

If yes, will I be notified by the Canadian court about the divorce proceedings? You see I heard a lot of stories to the effect that Filipinos are getting divorce in Canada and got married again in Canada. I heard that the reason this is commonly done it's because divorce is cheaper and easier than having an annulment proceedings in the Philippines.
And here's another thing we had a son.we had undergone our medical examination at a panel physician last january.
I didnt know if my husband filed our application.because last month he just told me he wants to divorce me.
Please I really need an answer about this issue. I hope you can clear my mind on these matters. Thank you very much and more power to you! God bless!
As long as he is resident in Canada, he can file for divorce in Canada. Unless he is claiming an at fault divorce, Canadian law requires one year of separation before he can file. Of course, you must be properly served with the legal documents and that is likely subject to a treaty between Canada and the Philippines. On the other hand, Canadian law is insistent on child support, and he will be subject to those requirements (as well as any alimony to which you might also be entitled). But this is an immigration forum, so you would be better served by finding a family law attorney to represent you.

dhistikdhistik09

Jun 23, 2012
MONTREAL, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2013
AOR Received.
25-11-2013
File Transfer...
18-11-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
Passport Req..
WAITING
Hi all,

I applied to sponsor my wife in Quebec last OCT, 2013. It took 2 weeks to hear from CIC and then another 3 weeks to get the CSQ of my wife. Now the application is being processed in singapore VISA office. Anybody have any idea how long it's gonna take for the passport request for the quebec sponsorship from the recent time experience? Thanks in advance.