+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Inland or Outland ? Need Help Please

Djdj9037

Jan 25, 2017
Hi there,
My wife is Canadian and I am Irish.
We recently got married here in Ireland almost 3 weeks ago. We have been completing an outland application for the past few months here in Ireland and are nearly ready to send it off. However we are trying to decide which is the better option between applying outland or moving to Canada on a visitor visa and applying inland once there.

We have heard from people that applying outland is smarter route to go as its less risky and I could just move back to Canada, under duel intent, a few months into application after sponsor has been approved, so I believe. However I wouldn't be able to work which would be harder on us when we return without pr being approved yet.

It is a hard decision for us since we want to leave Ireland and return to Canada but we would also consider applying outland and travelling around Europe or Australia while we wait for visa and then return under duel intent.
Does anyone have any experience with returning to Canada and telling border security at airport that you plan on applying inland or will this be too suspicious and should we wait till we have applied outland and been approved to have more chance of getting in?
Thanks you for your help.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi there,
My wife is Canadian and I am Irish.
We recently got married here in Ireland almost 3 weeks ago. We have been completing an outland application for the past few months here in Ireland and are nearly ready to send it off. However we are trying to decide which is the better option between applying outland or moving to Canada on a visitor visa and applying inland once there.

We have heard from people that applying outland is smarter route to go as its less risky and I could just move back to Canada, under duel intent, a few months into application after sponsor has been approved, so I believe. However I wouldn't be able to work which would be harder on us when we return without pr being approved yet.

It is a hard decision for us since we want to leave Ireland and return to Canada but we would also consider applying outland and travelling around Europe or Australia while we wait for visa and then return under duel intent.
Does anyone have any experience with returning to Canada and telling border security at airport that you plan on applying inland or will this be too suspicious and should we wait till we have applied outland and been approved to have more chance of getting in?
Thanks you for your help.
We did Outland Irish in Canada.

It ended up taking 10.5months due to a number of miscommunications. In the end, we regretted not doing inland as Fintan could have worked. However, we were already in Canada when we applied - he had lived here for years prior.

Outland is generally trending to be faster than inland, ours was just a weird case with a number of screw ups along the way. If you've got the time and the funds to travel around while the outland application is in progress, that's a way better life experience and way to pass the time IMO.