+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Income Test

trorpin

Sep 9, 2017
Hi folks!

My husband is a U.S. citizen and we have finally made the decision to make Canada our home. I have read on multiple websites and forums that the LICO tests do not apply to those sponsoring spouses, common-law, etc, meaning I do not have to prove a certain level of income. While I have the capacity (and often opportunity) to hold down a job for an extended period of time, I love to travel and often only work around 6 months out of the year and spend the other portion hopping around the world. Can anyone confirm my research to be true?
Thanks!

Taylor

Sep 3, 2017
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not receiving any assistance and not sponsoring anyone beyond your spouse.

Just keep track of your travels with your spouse when you they get PR and the two of go away so they meet PR's residency "residency" requirements.

Reactions: trorpin

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Hi folks!

My husband is a U.S. citizen and we have finally made the decision to make Canada our home. I have read on multiple websites and forums that the LICO tests do not apply to those sponsoring spouses, common-law, etc, meaning I do not have to prove a certain level of income. While I have the capacity (and often opportunity) to hold down a job for an extended period of time, I love to travel and often only work around 6 months out of the year and spend the other portion hopping around the world. Can anyone confirm my research to be true?
Thanks!

Taylor
It is true that sponsors do not have to meet the LICO requirements when sponsoring a spouse or children. However, as you probably know, you will still have a three-year commitment for financial responsibility. Also, regarding your frequent travel--if you are a Canadian citizen, you can be living outside Canada when you sponsor your husband, but if you are "only" a permanent resident, you must be actually living in Canada.

Reactions: trorpin