+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in Quebec

linnypotter

Jan 16, 2011
Hello,

I had a few questions about being sponsored by my boyfriend (I'm an American). We are planning to get married in Quebec this summer and then I would live up there while I waited for my work permit.

- I've heard that it can take 6-8 months to get a work permit. Is that generally true, or is it a lot more/a lot less?

- Would it be faster for me to apply for an open work permit inland or outbound?

- Is there anything I should know about applying inland (other than not being able to work until I received my open work permit.)

- Do I need to obtain a CSQ for the open work permit? That is to say, is the open work permit based on a points system like the CSQ, or is it just given when it is determined that the marriage is actual?

- How easy is it to get a job with the open work permit? Has anyone found that employers still are hesitant to accept people with a work permit?

Thanks. :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not have to apply for the CSQ, you should send in your sponsorship application normally and immigration will take care of the CSQ for you.

If you apply outland, through the US, you could have your PR in as little as 6 months because the US is fairly fast but there is no open work permit.

If you apply inland, if all goes well, you have first stage approval and open work permit if you applied for one in 9-10 months and PR in another maybe 9 months.

Teriskier

Star Member
Jun 22, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2010
Med's Done....
14-06-2010
People in Quebec are fairly open to hiring individuals with a work permit (as I personally hold one and had three job offers when I applied). The bigger challenge, especially as an American is showing your fluency in French. I applied inland and it took nine months to receive my work permit. Hope this helps.

linnypotter

Jan 16, 2011
Leon said:
If you apply outland, through the US, you could have your PR in as little as 6 months because the US is fairly fast but there is no open work permit.
So, even if I receive PR, there isn't a work visa or an ability to work that comes with it? How can you receive the ability to work in Quebec then? I'm assuming a company has to sponsor you then?