+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship from US

ricperkins

Oct 30, 2017
I have been married to my wife since 2007 and we came to visit in August of last year and we haven't left yet. She has dual citizenship (Native American) and is currently in consideration for a pretty good job. I'm not sure where I need to start to get a work permit or to have her sponsor me. Can someone help me please.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is your status know? Normal visitors can stay 6 months have you applied for an extension? If all that is in order you have 2 choices: apply inland or outland spousal sponsorship. Inland will allow you to also get an owp but you shouldn't leave the country during sponsorship. The US citizenship probably would allow you to leave Canada but wouldn't recommend it. The owp would arrive a few months after you submit your application. You could also apply outland. With outland you can live in Canada or another country but you don't qualify for an owp. There is nothing limiting your travel in and out of Canada. You can work in another country if you have the permission to do so,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I shouldn't leave during the application process or the duration of the sponsorship?
Application process. Did you extend you visitor status since you have been in Canada for over 6 months now? If not you are in Canada without any status and that is a problem.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No but I'm leaving in a few weeks and when I come back I'll start the process
If you entered in August, you have now overstayed around a few months. CBSA doesn't like it when people try to live in Canada as visitors and they don't like people who overstay, so be aware that there is no guarantee that you will actually be able to get back in.

ricperkins

Oct 30, 2017
I have driven over to Buffalo a couple times and nothing was ever mentioned when we crossed so I'm going to take my chances. Even when I flew in early last summer no one even stamped my passport.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have driven over to Buffalo a couple times and nothing was ever mentioned when we crossed so I'm going to take my chances. Even when I flew in early last summer no one even stamped my passport.
You stated in your first post that you haven't left since August. So have you gone to the US and come back since then and if so, when was the last time you actually entered Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
August, through Detroit.
As you never applied to extend your status, you have been in Canada illegally since February. That is a pretty big deal to CBSA. If they see the overstay when you attempt re-entry, they may allow you in or they may refuse you. If you get a tough officer, they could also decide to issue you a one year Exclusion Order.

ricperkins

Oct 30, 2017
I’ve gone and come back. Are there threads here that I can look at to see how the process works and what I should expect?