+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Form questions

dluhut

Oct 15, 2013
  • Hello immigration experts,

Before I ask the questions, let me give you a brief introduction of our scenario.

I'm a Naturalized Canadian Citizen and my wife (we're getting married tomorrow) is from China. Both of us have no children. I'm the sponsor and she's the 'being sponsored'. When she move to Canada, she'll live with me in Ottawa, Canada.

Also, for easy access to the forms that I'm referring to, I'm giving a direct link so that those who help know which form and where it is. cic.gc.ca / english / information / applications / fc.asp (please delete the spaces in between as I wasn't allow to put a link here)

Below are my questions.

Please note that, these forms are Part 1: Sponsorship forms

Document Checklist [IMM 5491]
    • Checklist #5 - Do I need to fill and/or submit "Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union (IMM 5409)"? Since we're going to have our civil marriage tomorrow?
    • Checklist #21 - "Medical Condition Statement, if a dependent child included in the application ... ..." - I believe this is NOT APPLICABLE to us, since my wife medical examination was asked on Checlist #27?

Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481]
    • Question 3 - Your net personal income for the 12-month period preceding the date of your application. May I ask how do I calculate my net personal income? I mean I can give my salary where it states in the employment letter. But that salary figure is not the net personal income.
    • Question 5a) - Current Undertaking: Number of persons included in box #3 of the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008), under section Application Details. Should I write 0 or 1? The reason why for the numbers are, 0 is because my wife is not taking the undertaking, since I'm the one sponsoring her, therefore, I'm the one that's doing the oath of undertaking. As for 1, that's because in IMM 0008, box #3, I think it should be 1.

Please note that, these forms below are Part 2: Immigration forms

Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]
    • Under Application Details Question 3 - How many family members, including you, are in this application? Should I put this as 1 or 2? Reason 1 is that my wife is the only one in this application. 2 is including me. Yet, I'm the one sponsoring her to come to Canada, so I'm unsure of the number.
    • Still under Application Details Question 6a. We did not intend to live/stay in QC. Thus do I write N/A or check the 'No' box? As well for Question 6c, do I leave it blank or N/A for the date?
    • Under DEPENDANT(s) Personal Details (After section EDUCATION/OCCUPATION DETAIL and LANGUAGE DETAIL 3rd page of the form), should this be my information (the sponsor), my wife's information (being sponsored) or NOT APPLICABLE? My guess would be NOT APPLICABLE, since my wife's information has been asked in the beginning of this form, and that we don't have any dependent.

Additional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP]
    • Do I or my wife need to fill this form even though we don't have any children?

Please note that, these forms below are Part 3: Information guides China [IMM 3903]

China [IMM 3903]
    • Checlist/Appendix A #8 - Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada. I believe this is NOT APPLICABLE to us, since we don't have any children?
    • Checlist/Appendix A #11 - Non-Accompanying Family Members Declaration. Do my in-laws need to do this or is this NOT APPLICABLE to us?

Thank you so much in advanced for your help and if there's any mising information, please let me know.

spaceexp

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna-->Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
received by CIC 12-03-2014
AOR Received.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-05-2014
Med's Done....
03-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-11-2014 (IP 18-11-2014, mailed 03-12-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
30-12-2014 , then again 13-02-2015 (DM 03-01-2015, PP&CoPR received 06-01-2015, returned to Ottawa because of a mistake, received again on 16-02-2015)
LANDED..........
16-02-2015
  • I think I can help a little bit with some questions:

Please note that, these forms are Part 1: Sponsorship forms

Document Checklist [IMM 5491]
    • Checklist #5 - Do I need to fill and/or submit "Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union (IMM 5409)"? Since we're going to have our civil marriage tomorrow?
    - NO, since you are getting married, as you said, you will not be common-law, this doesn't apply to you.
    • Checklist #21 - "Medical Condition Statement, if a dependent child included in the application ... ..." - I believe this is NOT APPLICABLE to us, since my wife medical examination was asked on Checlist #27?
    - This is only if your wife has a dependent child. If you sponsor only your wife, write N/A

Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481]
  • Question 5a) - Current Undertaking: Number of persons included in box #3 of the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008), under section Application Details. Should I write 0 or 1? The reason why for the numbers are, 0 is because my wife is not taking the undertaking, since I'm the one sponsoring her, therefore, I'm the one that's doing the oath of undertaking. As for 1, that's because in IMM 0008, box #3, I think it should be 1.
- I think it should be 1 if you are sponsoring ONLY your wife (no dependant children). But you can wait for someone more experienced to confirm this.
[/list]

Please note that, these forms below are Part 2: Immigration forms

Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]
  • Under Application Details Question 3 - How many family members, including you, are in this application? Should I put this as 1 or 2? Reason 1 is that my wife is the only one in this application. 2 is including me. Yet, I'm the one sponsoring her to come to Canada, so I'm unsure of the number.
- As I said above, I don't think you count yourself, only your wife, therefore it should be 1.
  • Under DEPENDANT(s) Personal Details (After section EDUCATION/OCCUPATION DETAIL and LANGUAGE DETAIL 3rd page of the form), should this be my information (the sponsor), my wife's information (being sponsored) or NOT APPLICABLE? My guess would be NOT APPLICABLE, since my wife's information has been asked in the beginning of this form, and that we don't have any dependent.
- As I remember, you have to fill it up for your wife. Just to remind you, if your wife has dependants (children), you have to fill in all their information, too, even if they are not being sponsored.
[/list]

tranjini

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
none
AOR Received.
27-02-2015
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
03-03-2015
Med's Request
Attached to application
Med's Done....
03-09-2015
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
June 4 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 15 2015
LANDED..........
July 8, 2015
There is also how to do the application form guide online in addition. There is a PDF formatted file that explains everything for world regions like asia since your wife is from China.
I can't post link or else I would but there is a file. send her that.

Some application she has to do it online specifically the general form. so be careful if you make a small mistake they will delay the process. Best you take time and do it. In addition, be careful with the dates.
I took three months to prepare for my husband. waiting now.
Good luck on your app !!!