+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Filling up Forms

chakut

Jan 27, 2018
Hello!

My spouse and I were born in India. She moved to Canada a long time back, and has been a Canadian citizen for some time now. I am in the USA on H-1B visa, and she is now with me on H-4 (Dependant) visa. She wants to sponsor me for a Canadian PR. For this, we are filling in some forms from the cic.gc.ca site.

We are a bit confused on which of the following forms should be filled in by me:
- Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344] (PDF, 478.72KB)
- Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 553.83KB)
- Additional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP] (PDF, 424.19KB), only if you have more than five dependants on your application
- Additional Family Information [IMM 5406] (PDF, 570KB)
- Sponsorship Evaluation and Relationship Questionnaire [IMM 5532 ] (PDF, 2.21MB)
- Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669] (PDF, 434.14KB), submit online after you link your application. For more information, see What to expect after you apply
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476), if using a representative.

We are also confused on which of the following forms should be filled in by my wife:
- Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344] (PDF, 478.72KB)
- Sponsorship Evaluation and Relationship Questionnaire [IMM 5532] (PDF, 2.21MB)
- Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] (PDF, 742.74KB), only if you are sponsoring your dependent child who has no dependent children of their own. Unless instructed otherwise, sponsors in Quebec do not need to fill this out. See: Sponsors living in Quebec
- Financial Evaluation [IMM 1283] (PDF, 1.24MB), only if you are sponsoring a dependent child who has their own dependent child. Unless instructed otherwise, sponsors in Quebec do not need to fill this out.
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) (PDF, 648.31KB), if using a representative.

The site mentions that form IMM 1344 is to be filled in by both the sponsor and the applicant. Does my wife have to fill in this form, and I have to fill this form again, separately?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hello!

My spouse and I were born in India. She moved to Canada a long time back, and has been a Canadian citizen for some time now. I am in the USA on H-1B visa, and she is now with me on H-4 (Dependant) visa. She wants to sponsor me for a Canadian PR. For this, we are filling in some forms from the cic.gc.ca site.

We are a bit confused on which of the following forms should be filled in by me:
- Additional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP] (PDF, 424.19KB), only if you have more than five dependants on your application
- Sponsorship Evaluation and Relationship Questionnaire [IMM 5532 ] (PDF, 2.21MB)
- Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669] (PDF, 434.14KB), submit online after you link your application. For more information, see What to expect after you apply

We are also confused on which of the following forms should be filled in by my wife:
- Sponsorship Evaluation and Relationship Questionnaire [IMM 5532] (PDF, 2.21MB)
- Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] (PDF, 742.74KB), only if you are sponsoring your dependent child who has no dependent children of their own. Unless instructed otherwise, sponsors in Quebec do not need to fill this out. See: Sponsors living in Quebec
- Financial Evaluation [IMM 1283] (PDF, 1.24MB), only if you are sponsoring a dependent child who has their own dependent child. Unless instructed otherwise, sponsors in Quebec do not need to fill this out.
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) (PDF, 648.31KB), if using a representative.

The site mentions that form IMM 1344 is to be filled in by both the sponsor and the applicant. Does my wife have to fill in this form, and I have to fill this form again, separately?
This is all on the website.

Forms for the sponsor to fill out
For the person being sponsored (principal applicant):

Reactions: WeegieInOttawa

chakut

Jan 27, 2018
This is all on the website.

Forms for the sponsor to fill out
For the person being sponsored (principal applicant):
Thank you very much!

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
You can help each other fill out the forms too. It's a lot of work to collect the information and evidence CIC is asking for. My wife and I collaborated a lot using Google Docs as a place to work on drafts of our answers and where we could both be working on the same document at the same time. The answers we worked on in these docs would then be copied and pasted to the appropriate forms. Just be sure to answer the questions from the point of view of the person whom CIC is asking the question of.

Reactions: chakut

chakut

Jan 27, 2018
Background: My spouse and I were born in India. She moved to Canada a long time back, and has been a Canadian citizen for some time now. I am in the USA on H-1B visa, and she is now with me on H-4 (Dependant) visa. She wants to sponsor me for a Canadian PR. We have a new-born son, who was born in the USA.

I am filling in the GENERIC APPLICATION FORM FOR CANADA. This form has a place for Dependants. Should I fill in my wife's and son's details in this part, even though my wife is sponsoring me?
You can help each other fill out the forms too. It's a lot of work to collect the information and evidence CIC is asking for. My wife and I collaborated a lot using Google Docs as a place to work on drafts of our answers and where we could both be working on the same document at the same time. The answers we worked on in these docs would then be copied and pasted to the appropriate forms. Just be sure to answer the questions from the point of view of the person whom CIC is asking the question of.
Thanks, Jordo! Yes - some of the questions are confusing, and some on my forms need information about her, and so on...

So, I am currently on H-1 visa in the USA, and my wife is on my Dependant (H-4) visa in the US. We have a new-born (US citizen by birth). In the GENERIC APPLICATION FORM FOR CANADA, there is a Part of the form that asks me to fill in details about my Dependants. Should I be filling in my wife's and son's information in this part, even though my wife is sponsoring me for the Canadian PR?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hello!

IRCC Spousal Sponsorship Checklist.......
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5533e.pdf

Last edited:

chakut

Jan 27, 2018
I was born in India, but live in the USA now. My wife was born in India and is a Canadian citizen now (living in the USA now). She is sponsoring my PR.

For documents - do I need to send in ORIGINALS for my Indian school certificates and Indian birth certificate, or will a photocopy be enough?

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
I was born in India, but live in the USA now. My wife was born in India and is a Canadian citizen now (living in the USA now). She is sponsoring my PR.

For documents - do I need to send in ORIGINALS for my Indian school certificates and Indian birth certificate, or will a photocopy be enough?
You'll need either the originals or a certified copy (not photocopy). In addition, you'll need to use a certified translator to translate any official government documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc) into English or French.

Reactions: chakut

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018

Check your country specific requirements, if it says that you needed to submit originals for your documents then you’d have to send them the originals but if it doesn’t specifically say anything about it for your country then send certified copies with the certified translation (if not in English/French).

chakut

Jan 27, 2018
Check your country specific requirements, if it says that you needed to submit originals for your documents then you’d have to send them the originals but if it doesn’t specifically say anything about it for your country then send certified copies with the certified translation (if not in English/French).
Thanks! Yes, we are trying to follow the Country-specific instructions for some of these.

chakut

Jan 27, 2018
Picture specifications ---
My wife is sponsoring me for the Spousal PR. Since my wife is a Canadian citizen, she has already applied for a Citizenship Certificate for our new-born son. All of us are planning to move to Canada at the same time. The Document Checklist (IMM 5533) specifies the following:

"Supply two (2) recent photos for each of your accompanying family members and yourself...."

Do all of us need to have our pictures (per the photo specifications in the CIC website) taken for this part of the application, or will only my photo (to the specifications) be sufficient?

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Picture specifications ---
My wife is sponsoring me for the Spousal PR. Since my wife is a Canadian citizen, she has already applied for a Citizenship Certificate for our new-born son. All of us are planning to move to Canada at the same time. The Document Checklist (IMM 5533) specifies the following:

"Supply two (2) recent photos for each of your accompanying family members and yourself...."

Do all of us need to have our pictures (per the photo specifications in the CIC website) taken for this part of the application, or will only my photo (to the specifications) be sufficient?
For this, only those who are applying to become permanent residents - you. Your child will also need photos but that will be part of the Citizenship Certificate application which may have different requirements and I'd make sure to follow the Citizenship certificate instructions for your child.

chakut

Jan 27, 2018
For this, only those who are applying to become permanent residents - you. Your child will also need photos but that will be part of the Citizenship Certificate application which may have different requirements and I'd make sure to follow the Citizenship certificate instructions for your child.
Thanks jordo! This is big help! Yes - there were different specifications for my child when my wife was working on his Citizenship Certificate application.

Reactions: jordo

toufik-ag

Sep 1, 2022
hello guys, I am post AOR and got married and informed VO paris about my marriage they asked me for the documents below
  1. the IMM0008 Generic form completed by you as principal applicant.
  2. the other attached forms to be completed, dated and signed by your spouse
  3. the electronic scan of the identity photo for your spouse.
  4. photocopy of your marriage certificate, declaration of common-law relationship or other proof of your relationship with your spouse
  5. photocopy of your spouse’s valid passport (do not include blank pages)
  6. photocopy of your spouse’s birth certificate showing both parents’ names
  7. if your spouse is divorced or legally separated, photocopy of the divorce decree or legal separation document
  8. if your spouse has children from a previous relationship, photocopy of the document establishing the custody of the children and visiting rights
  9. the electronic scan of the originals of police certificates along with a translation in French or English issued within the last three months by the authorities of all countries in which your spouse has resided for more than 6 months since his or her 18th birthday.
  10. military service for your spouse (rank, unit and location). Provide a photocopy of the certificate of good conduct.
  11. List all trips you have taken outside your country of origin or of residence in the last ten years (or since your 18th birthday if this was less than ten years ago). Include all trips: tourism, business, training etc.
  12. if you are applying as a Skilled Worker or Business Immigrant and your destination in Canada is other than the province of Quebec:
  • photocopy of your spouse’s educational diplomas and certificates
  • if your spouse has worked in Canada for at least one year, full-time, photocopy of his or her work permit
  • if your spouse has completed a program of full-time study of at least two years’ duration at a post-secondary institution in Canada, photocopy of his or her student permit
  • if you or your spouse has a close relative in Canada (brother, sister, father, mother, grandparent, child, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece) who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, proof of the relationship and of the relative’s status in Canada

i have two question, the first is about the second point in the list above, it is not cleared what forms so should i send imm 5406, 5562, 5569 for my spouse? if so right now me and my wife are living in diffrent addresses would that be a problem if we put two diffrent addresses in the imm5406?