+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Correction in the Birth Certificate of Child

B S Pai

Feb 3, 2018
Dear forum members,

We have applied under spousal sponsorship and we have received acknowledgement of receipt of our application to address an issue related to our daughter's birth certificate as there is is an issue with my daughter's birth certificate as her mother's name mentioned is the nick name instead of the name mentioned in the passport .

While submitting our application to IRCC we didn't realize this issue . We have now approached the concerned authorities in India ( Municipal Corporation ) to correct the birth certificate with mother's name as in the passport. However we have been told that the reissued birth certificate will appear with the Original name of mother ( which is her nick name ) and they will add the name as AKA ( also know as or Alias ) . Is this acceptable to IRCC ? . Since my wife hardly uses her nick name we have not mentioned in any of the forms that she has any nick name or other names. Now is there any issue while we resubmit our daughter's reissued birth certificate of my daughter with her mother's name ( nick name as in the original birth certificate with AKA as in the Passport )???

I will appreciate if any once can advise us urgently as we have only 30 days to respond from 18th May 2018.

Many thanks and best regards.

Pai

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Dear forum members,

We have applied under spousal sponsorship and we have received acknowledgement of receipt of our application to address an issue related to our daughter's birth certificate as there is is an issue with my daughter's birth certificate as her mother's name mentioned is the nick name instead of the name mentioned in the passport .

While submitting our application to IRCC we didn't realize this issue . We have now approached the concerned authorities in India ( Municipal Corporation ) to correct the birth certificate with mother's name as in the passport. However we have been told that the reissued birth certificate will appear with the Original name of mother ( which is her nick name ) and they will add the name as AKA ( also know as or Alias ) . Is this acceptable to IRCC ? . Since my wife hardly uses her nick name we have not mentioned in any of the forms that she has any nick name or other names. Now is there any issue while we resubmit our daughter's reissued birth certificate of my daughter with her mother's name ( nick name as in the original birth certificate with AKA as in the Passport )???

I will appreciate if any once can advise us urgently as we have only 30 days to respond from 18th May 2018.

Many thanks and best regards.

Pai
Only IRCC could confirm if its acceptable.........you have 30 days deadline.......will advice you avoid delays and act fast .....
  1. If that's only what you could get from the authorities in India.......send the updated birth certificate to IRCC.
  2. Maybe include an explanation on a separate sheet regarding the circumstances of the name change, the nickname or alias.
  3. If available, include the name change confirmation letter from the authorities in India.
  4. If the Mother is the Principal Applicant.........You may need to update IMM0008 (Generic Application Form)......PERSONAL DETAILS....Q.2........check "YES" and provide the Principal Applicant Given Name (i.e., Nickname or Alias).
  5. If the Mother is the Sponsor.........You may need to update IMM1344........SPONSOR PERSONAL DETAILS....Q.2........check "YES" and provide the Sponsor Given Name (i.e., Nickname or Alias).

You could send the documents through IRCC Webform.