+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship after initial pr expired due to not meeting residency requirements

rajoth21

Jan 20, 2018
My spouse and I both are pr holders. My spouse lives in Canada and wants to renew the pr and we also want to include me as a spouse sponsor however my current pr is going to expire soon and I haven’t met the residency requirements. I am currently outside canada. Has anybody been successfully able to renew your pr after not meeting requirements through spousal sponsorship? Please advise

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My spouse and I both are pr holders. My spouse lives in Canada and wants to renew the pr and we also want to include me as a spouse sponsor however my current pr is going to expire soon and I haven’t met the residency requirements. I am currently outside canada. Has anybody been successfully able to renew your pr after not meeting requirements through spousal sponsorship? Please advise
I don't understand your question. If you're saying that you both already have PR status in Canada, your PR status is not expiring. Only your PR Card expires and needs to be renewed if you meet the Residency Obligation, which it sounds like you have not met.

Your spouse can apply to renew their card since they:
1. Are in Canada (cannot apply to renew the card from outside of Canada)

2. Have met the minimum requirement of 730 days in Canada within the last 5 years, assuming they have.

Your failure to met the R.O. will not negatively impact their renewal. Your PR is completely separate from your spouse's in terms of maintaing the status.

You will need to apply for a PRTD to return to Canada. If it is approved, you would then need to apply from yours when you are back in Canada. However...depending on how long you've been outside Canada and how many days less than 730 you have, will greatly impact your chances of being approved for the PRTD. You would likely need to apply under H&C, explaining why you did not meet the R.O. and why you are not living in Canada. Some people have been successful, while others have not. It all depends on whatever your story is and how you are able to explain why they should approve your PRTD.

Good luck.

rajoth21

Jan 20, 2018
Thank you very much! Yes I was referring to my pr status. Your reply explains it very well, i do have a follow up! What if I let my pr card expire but my pr status is still not revoked and my spouse applies for my pr as a sponsorship for me and our kids? She is financially sound and capable with a full time job etc in Canada to do that, will me not meeting my residency requirements with my current pr would impact that? Basically I’m asking if my wife could apply for me as a new pr?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much! Yes I was referring to my pr status. Your reply explains it very well, i do have a follow up! What if I let my pr card expire but my pr status is still not revoked and my spouse applies for my pr as a sponsorship for me and our kids? She is financially sound and capable with a full time job etc in Canada to do that, will me not meeting my residency requirements with my current pr would impact that? Basically I’m asking if my wife could apply for me as a new pr?
She can sponsor you, but not as you've described.

You need to officially renounce your PR status (or your PR status needs to be revoked) before your spouse can sponsor you for PR.

rajoth21

Jan 20, 2018
She can sponsor you, but not as you've described.

You need to officially renounce your PR status (or your PR status needs to be revoked) before your spouse can sponsor you for PR.
Oh ok thanks! But will my renouncing the first time have an impact when my wife sponsors for me as a spouse or it’s usually approved again if her records are good?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh ok thanks! But will my renouncing the first time have an impact when my wife sponsors for me as a spouse or it’s usually approved again if her records are good?
No impact

Reactions: rajoth21