+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship—

Oct 15, 2019
Hey guys i’m trying to sponsor my spouse under the inland spousal visa, he is an American citizen, I currently am unemployed as i’m a stay home mom (our daughter born Jan 25, 2019 is a Canadian citizen) I was let go from my last job just last Dec, but still filed for income tax this year. Im not on EI or Mat. My parents are willing to help support my husband financially until were both stable...But overall do i have to have employment to sponsor my spouse. We currently are in an active contract with our immigration consultant and she insists i get a job along with a proof of employment letter immediately. Overall I had 7 job interviews and a job fair within the time we started our contract and no job offer, my husband and I also gathered so much proof of our relationship, letters, and a financial support letter from my parents stating that they will provide the means to support my husband...but we called our consultant and she said that she will not submit our application until I retrieve a proof of job letter. Honestly at this point i’m really overwhelmed, upset although I do have another job interview tomorrow.. my husband only has up until December before he has to go back to the U.S. All our paperwork is to be submitted this week to our consultant but whats the point if she wont submit it. Shes wondering if I should just cancel the contract or keep it going...with keeping it going im worried that I dont get a job offer in time before my husband has to leave back to the States...what should I do??..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey guys i’m trying to sponsor my spouse under the inland spousal visa, he is an American citizen, I currently am unemployed as i’m a stay home mom (our daughter born Jan 25, 2019 is a Canadian citizen) I was let go from my last job just last Dec, but still filed for income tax this year. Im not on EI or Mat. My parents are willing to help support my husband financially until were both stable...But overall do i have to have employment to sponsor my spouse. We currently are in an active contract with our immigration consultant and she insists i get a job along with a proof of employment letter immediately. Overall I had 7 job interviews and a job fair within the time we started our contract and no job offer, my husband and I also gathered so much proof of our relationship, letters, and a financial support letter from my parents stating that they will provide the means to support my husband...but we called our consultant and she said that she will not submit our application until I retrieve a proof of job letter. Honestly at this point i’m really overwhelmed, upset although I do have another job interview tomorrow.. my husband only has up until December before he has to go back to the U.S. All our paperwork is to be submitted this week to our consultant but whats the point if she wont submit it. Shes wondering if I should just cancel the contract or keep it going...with keeping it going im worried that I dont get a job offer in time before my husband has to leave back to the States...what should I do??..
Fire the consultant. You do not need to be working. You can show family support, savings, future income potential etc. As long as you write a solid plan on how you will support yourselves, it's fine.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ask for your paperwork back and ditch the immigration consultant. You don't need one and this one is providing you with bad advice. There are no income requirements to sponsor a spouse - you can certainly apply without a job. Your parents should provide their bank account statement along with a letter stating they are willing to support you. Also - your husband should include his tax returns from the US from when he was working there as evidence that he plans to work once he is able to in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When did you return to Canada and when did you give birth? What province do you live in?

Agree with everything that has been said. Include proof of your savings as a couple. If you parents are in a position to support you financially for an extended period of time you should be fine. If you didn’t qualify for mat leave payments you haven’t likely worked for the past 2ish years.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
When did you return to Canada and when did you give birth? What province do you live in?

Agree with everything that has been said. Include proof of your savings as a couple. If you parents are in a position to support you financially for an extended period of time you should be fine. If you didn’t qualify for mat leave payments you haven’t likely worked for the past 2ish years.
She said in her original post she was working up to last December.

Oct 15, 2019
So I was working part-time and was but still am a full-time student I didn’t make enough hours to get approval for Mat or EI because I worked less than a year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So I was working part-time and was but still am a full-time student I didn’t make enough hours to get approval for Mat or EI because I worked less than a year.
When did your husband enter Canada? Are you aware you can extend his visitor status? It would be best to apply before you try to extend.

Oct 15, 2019
So he entered Canada on June 19th, he has no stamp on his passport during entry. So we were talking about the extension of his visitor status, but were also quite confused if we should just focus on submitting the spousal visa, or get him to apply for extension of his status and wait again to apply for spousal, or do both at the same time. He has all of his finger prints done for the RCMP, and FBI and Cal State police check.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So he entered Canada on June 19th, he has no stamp on his passport during entry. So we were talking about the extension of his visitor status, but were also quite confused if we should just focus on submitting the spousal visa, or get him to apply for extension of his status and wait again to apply for spousal, or do both at the same time. He has all of his finger prints done for the RCMP, and FBI and Cal State police check.
There is no point in waiting to submit the sponsorship app.

He doesn't need a state police check.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would make sure you still apply to extend if you have not received AOR so if your application gets returned he is still in status.